Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Jorge Soler Declared A Free Agent

Jorge Soler Declared A Free Agent

PostPost #1 by ofahn » June 2nd, 2012, 10:59 am

By Mike Axisa [June 2, 2012 at 10:39am CST]

Jorge Soler has been declared a free agent and is now eligible to sign with any team, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). The 20-year-old Cuban outfielder will be subject to the spending restrictions imposed by the new collective bargaining agreement as of July 2nd, but he can sign for any amount prior to then.

The next 29 days should be very interesting. I'd like to see the team pony up for this guy.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/06/j ... agent.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Jorge Soler Declared A Free Agent

PostPost #2 by Zach » June 2nd, 2012, 1:03 pm

He would definitely be a huge boost to our farm system. There was a legitimate debate as to who was better between him and Cespedes. However, much I would love for the Orioles to sign him, bigger names (Yankees, Red Sox, etc...) seemed willing to throw the money at him to sign him according to earlier reports (offseason rumors).
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #3 by ofahn » June 2nd, 2012, 1:20 pm

Zach wrote:However, much I would love for the Orioles to sign him, bigger names (Yankees, Red Sox, etc...) seemed willing to throw the money at him to sign him according to earlier reports (offseason rumors).

That's true, but this is a chance to show the fan base that the team WANTS to build a winner. If that means over paying by 5M, so be it. I see such an over payment as the penalty for prior bad management although I doubt that Peter Angelos would agree.

I have always seen Soler as the better long term investment in that he will need to be in our farm system for a year or two. That gives us a chance to smooth of some of the rough edges. That being said I wouldn't give him a ML contract. Instead, I would offer a big (Strasberg big) signing bonus and a guaranteed Spring Training invitation.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by ofahn » June 2nd, 2012, 1:27 pm

Update

11:52am:

Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that Soler's agent, Bart Hernandez of the Praver Shapiro Sports Management group, still must produce a) an unblocking license from the Office of Foreign Asset Control, or b) two permanent residency documents from a new country before any contract can be finalized.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/06/j ... agent.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 2nd, 2012, 1:33 pm

Be sure to check out Don's scouting report: http://orioles-nation.com/2011/12/12/ta ... rge-soler/
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » June 2nd, 2012, 2:10 pm

The type of signing the Orioles need to boost their farm system. Pessimistic they even reach his agent.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » June 2nd, 2012, 6:09 pm

This would be a great signing. I would not count out DD 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by Ampontan » June 3rd, 2012, 10:50 am

ofahn wrote:but this is a chance to show the fan base that the team WANTS to build a winner. If that means over paying by 5M, so be it. I see such an over payment as the penalty for prior bad management although I doubt that Peter Angelos would agree.

Why wouldn't Peter Angelos agree? They've been saying this in Baltimore since he ponied up for Adam Loewen. AM wasn't thrilled about signing Wieters, but Angelos got involved in the negotiations and signed him. He paid big money for Manny and DBundy too. Delmonico got a big contract last year as well. He always has spent the money on amateur talent, and we're always among the top spenders, although he probably isn't thrilled about how the 2009 draft turned out.

DD seems to be very much interested in cost-benefit analysis. I suspect (but who knows), if DD thought XXX dollars was a worthwhile risk, he'd spend that money.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by ofahn » June 3rd, 2012, 11:47 am

Ampontan wrote:Why wouldn't Peter Angelos agree?

I was referring to the part about "the penalty for prior bad management".
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » June 3rd, 2012, 11:57 am

Saw a tweet this morning from Heyman who said the Cubs, Orioles, Blue Jays and Red Sox will pursue. "Mystery" team is also involved (Yankees??) .. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Zach » June 10th, 2012, 2:37 pm

It looks as though the Orioles are not going to pursue Soler. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/06/s ... orrow.html
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #12 by CSPitt17130 » June 10th, 2012, 2:44 pm

Zach wrote:It looks as though the Orioles are not going to pursue Soler. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/06/s ... orrow.html

If you click the link to Jon Heyman's article, it mentions the O's.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by ofahn » June 10th, 2012, 3:06 pm

Zach wrote:It looks as though the Orioles are not going to pursue Soler. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/06/s ... orrow.html

I hope this is one of those "laying in the weeds" situations because adding this guy would be just like having another first round draft pick.

LF is the only position that would project to be open in 2014 but he could be an extremely valuable trade chip for a young player at a position we will need to fill (2B?)
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by CSPitt17130 » June 10th, 2012, 3:26 pm

If the report of Soler looking for a 4-year deal is what he ends up getting, I won't be too disappointed if the O's don't sign him. He's only 20 and he might need a year in the minors. Add to that a year of growing pains in the majors, and if he ends up putting it all together that quickly (which would be impressive) they'd only have him for another 2 years before he'd leave for free agency. Why not just make a run for him at 24 when Bundy, Machado, and Schoop are added to the core they have now?
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » June 11th, 2012, 12:52 pm

I don't think it matters either way since he is going to sign somewhere else and at a steep price 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles