Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

When Britton returns...

Re: When Britton returns...

PostPost #16 by Matt P » May 29th, 2012, 7:51 pm

In a game like tonight where he had over a strike out per inning and didn't give up a HR he still was charged with 6 earned runs in 4.1 innings. This is why I care more about earned runs and consistency than stats like HR/9, K/9, etc.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #17 by osforlife » May 29th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Matt P wrote:In a game like tonight where he had over a strike out per inning and didn't give up a HR he still was charged with 6 earned runs in 4.1 innings. This is why I care more about earned runs and consistency than stats like HR/9, K/9, etc.

I almost never look at stats like those either. I like to look at ERA and WHIP. Although I have been looking at FIP and xFIP alot lately too.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #18 by legmason » May 29th, 2012, 9:52 pm

Now if only we can teach Britton to throw right handed too he can take over for both Hunter and Arrieta when he comes back. If not that, we can always fall back on plan B and slide Davis into the rotation.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #19 by CSPitt17130 » May 30th, 2012, 8:14 am

osforlife wrote:I almost never look at stats like those either. I like to look at ERA and WHIP. Although I have been looking at FIP and xFIP alot lately too.

And where do you think FIP and xFIP come from? Why dismiss certain stats if you don't even know what they represent?
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #20 by birdwatcher55 » May 30th, 2012, 1:40 pm

osforlife wrote:I don't understand why Arrieta is not even being considered as a candidate to be replaced. But I believe the obvious choice is Hunter; He's pitched the worst. He faces Toronto tonight...which I'am guessing will not go well. A fly ball pitcher vs. a homerun team usually doesn't go well. But like Buck says...these things usually work themselves out.

If you watched Arrieta shut down the Yankees earlier this season, you can understand the reluctance of many to close the book on his career as a starter. I would rather see him try and develop or perfect another pitch before we move him to the bullpen. I would even bring Peterson in to consult for a stretch 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #21 by osforlife » May 30th, 2012, 2:04 pm

CSPitt17130 wrote:
osforlife wrote:I almost never look at stats like those either. I like to look at ERA and WHIP. Although I have been looking at FIP and xFIP alot lately too.

And where do you think FIP and xFIP come from? Why dismiss certain stats if you don't even know what they represent?

I guess I stand corrected. I had no idea what FIP and xFIP stood for lol. But i do mostly look at ERA and WHIP.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #22 by Rising O's » May 30th, 2012, 2:29 pm

We desperately need him but more importantly, we need him healthy long term.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by CSPitt17130 » May 30th, 2012, 7:29 pm

osforlife wrote:I guess I stand corrected. I had no idea what FIP and xFIP stood for lol. But i do mostly look at ERA and WHIP.

Here's a really good argument from the person who initially proposed the defense independent pitching statistics.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=878
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #24 by Matt P » June 3rd, 2012, 2:38 pm

Matusz stops a 6 game losing streak and Arrieta comes out and has another bad game. He needs to be demoted and like I said Matusz is much more consistent.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by A_K » June 3rd, 2012, 2:53 pm

Matusz is better. But without Arrieta and with Britton, that's still just four starting pitchers. Want to bring up Tillman? S. Johnson? Hunter again?
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #26 by Matt P » June 3rd, 2012, 3:07 pm

I would bring up Tillman.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by A_K » June 3rd, 2012, 3:36 pm

Fine with me. But how much of an upgrade is that? For how long? Remember, the conversation we're having about Arrieta is the same one we've had about Tillman every time he's been in the majors.

Seems like a frustration-motivated move, rather than one accompanied by legitimate expectations to improve the team. You can only swap disappointing former prospects for one another so many times.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #28 by Matt P » June 3rd, 2012, 3:57 pm

Peterson believes in Tillman and he just threw 8 innings giving up 1 hit against a good Pawtucket line up. I kept reading and hearing all season that his stuff has been great and the results were due to working on things and bad defense behind him.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by A_K » June 3rd, 2012, 4:00 pm

Sounds like a lot of narrative construction. Maybe those things are true, but it sure sounds like "so and so reported to camp in the best shape of his life."
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #30 by Matt P » June 3rd, 2012, 4:20 pm

That's what they said about Matusz this ST and it turned out to be true.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles