Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

our entire farm system is cold.

our entire farm system is cold.

PostPost #1 by docjj » April 30th, 2012, 8:36 am

Aside from Bundy, everyone else is stinking.

Avery had a red-hot week which came to an abrupt end.

There's really not much else to write home about. This entire farm system is cold... or bad... Machado and Schoop are struggling in their first taste of Double-A. Joe Mahoney is cold. LJ Hoes is luke warm. Tyler Townsend has cooled after a hot start. Jason Esposito is struggling against lower tier pitching. Nick Delmonico is too. And Mychal Givens makes me wish we drafted him as a pitcher...

Here's hoping at least one or two of these guys can get hot...
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: our entire farm system is cold.

PostPost #2 by Ampontan » April 30th, 2012, 10:28 am

They say it often takes minor league hitters 100 ABs to adjust to a higher level. Let's see how they're doing at Memorial Day.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by A_K » April 30th, 2012, 11:28 am

Gabriel Lino has established himself as a probable Top 100 prospect. He's catching the best pitching prospect in baseball. It's likely we have the two best prospects in all of the minors. Avery has played better at AAA than anyone could have expected. Delmonico is rebounding after a rough start.

It's fine.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #4 by ofahn » April 30th, 2012, 12:01 pm

A_K wrote:Gabriel Lino has established himself as a probable Top 100 prospect. He's catching the best pitching prospect in baseball. It's likely we have the two best prospects in all of the minors. Avery has played better at AAA than anyone could have expected. Delmonico is rebounding after a rough start.

It's fine.

Many of the young pitchers at Frederick and Delmarva have made strong starts, too.

The real problem is that we have so few elite prospects in the system that when one or two hit a rough patch it makes a bigger impact.

The FO may have a really difficult decision to make in July. If it looks like we have a legit shot at 85 or more wins they may feel they owe it to the fans to keep the team intact and go for a winning season instead of making some key trades to stock the farm system. As good as that may feel, it won't change the fact that the farm system, as it currently stands, won't have much a Class of 2013.

We need to have a REALLY GOOD draft this year, and wisely spend EVERY one of the 2.9M dollars we're allowed for International signings.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » April 30th, 2012, 2:25 pm

It's still early yet. Machado and Schoop will come around. They have too much talent 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » May 1st, 2012, 10:35 pm

ofahn wrote:
The FO may have a really difficult decision to make in July. If it looks like we have a legit shot at 85 or more wins they may feel they owe it to the fans to keep the team intact and go for a winning season instead of making some key trades to stock the farm system. As good as that may feel, it won't change the fact that the farm system, as it currently stands, won't have much a Class of 2013.

We need to have a REALLY GOOD draft this year, and wisely spend EVERY one of the 2.9M dollars we're allowed for International signings.

Honestly I do not think this is a team capable of getting 80 wins. Competitive sure, but 85 seems way high.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #7 by OriolesRedskins28 » May 1st, 2012, 11:32 pm

docjj wrote:And Mychal Givens makes me wish we drafted him as a pitcher....

Pedro Strop 2.0?
Old Sneakers wrote:
ofahn wrote:
ofahn wrote:The FO may have a really difficult decision to make in July. If it looks like we have a legit shot at 85 or more wins they may feel they owe it to the fans to keep the team intact and go for a winning season instead of making some key trades to stock the farm system. As good as that may feel, it won't change the fact that the farm system, as it currently stands, won't have much a Class of 2013.

Now that's a problem I wouldn't mind having.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #8 by docjj » May 3rd, 2012, 9:53 pm

ughhh....horrible.....

I can't name one O's farmhand that is doing anything notable (aside from Bundy) in the entire organization....at any level.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #9 by CSPitt17130 » May 4th, 2012, 9:57 am

docjj wrote:ughhh....horrible.....

I can't name one O's farmhand that is doing anything notable (aside from Bundy) in the entire organization....at any level.

Just because guys aren't putting up huge numbers, doesn't mean they aren't progressing or developing. You could argue that Machado and Schoop are getting more out of learning how to make adjustments in AA than Bundy is while he's blowing away hitters who are offering him no challenge.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by LukeWalker » May 5th, 2012, 11:53 am

Bundy should jump to Bowie, just skip frederick. There are other guys that are doing well that nobody is paying attention to.
LukeWalker
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #11 by LukeWalker » May 5th, 2012, 12:12 pm

docjj wrote:Aside from Bundy, everyone else is stinking.

Avery had a red-hot week which came to an abrupt end.

There's really not much else to write home about. This entire farm system is cold... or bad... Machado and Schoop are struggling in their first taste of Double-A. Joe Mahoney is cold. LJ Hoes is luke warm. Tyler Townsend has cooled after a hot start. Jason Esposito is struggling against lower tier pitching. Nick Delmonico is too. And Mychal Givens makes me wish we drafted him as a pitcher...

Here's hoping at least one or two of these guys can get hot...

You are only looking at players that are the marquis type names that are getting the attention. Since those guys aren't doing anything, alot of folks think that the system is cold. Look harder, I see plenty of talent that isn't getting attention and they deserve it more. You don't have to look hard to see there is some talent that is there but nobody is handing out credit.
LukeWalker
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by CSPitt17130 » May 5th, 2012, 2:12 pm

LukeWalker wrote:You are only looking at players that are the marquis type names that are getting the attention. Since those guys aren't doing anything, alot of folks think that the system is cold. Look harder, I see plenty of talent that isn't getting attention and they deserve it more. You don't have to look hard to see there is some talent that is there but nobody is handing out credit.

Who would these players be?
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by LukeWalker » May 5th, 2012, 4:35 pm

To start with... Zach Davies, a 26th round pick out of high school. He's doing better than expected. He skipped GCL and Aberdeen and went right to Delmarva. He's doing just as good as Bridwell. Nobody is singing about him and his potential.

Catcher Wynston Sawyer who has the second highest on base percentage on Delmarva. Only Mike planeta has higher. sawyer's bat needs some work but there's potential there as well.

John Ruetigger is having a good season, nobody has really mentioned him. He's got excellent speed and he gives 110% on everything.

Devin Jones and Trent Howard are doing great. Bundy's getting all the attention and it's well deserved, but these two are getting it done in the bullpen and there's hardly a mention of either of them.

Matt Taylor is also another one doing well.

That's just Delmarva.
LukeWalker
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by dan72 » May 5th, 2012, 7:08 pm

Ofahn- I agree, a system that is very thin on talent seems worse when the top name guys are cold. Machado and schoop will come around. They need to get their AB's and adjust. Bundy I think could fast track if they allow him. With him being on the 40 man you would think he could be a September call up at best or possibly compete for a spot next spring. He is that good.

I would like to see one or two of our lower level guys (A ball) get hot and advance quickly. We have about a dozen guys that are possible future contributors. They are all 1-2 years or more away though and thats the tough part for me as a fan. I see guys in other systems flying through the minors and our guys (mostly high school picks) take years to season and mature.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Return to Minor Leagues