Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Will B-Rob ever play another game for the Orioles?

Will B-Rob ever play another game for the Orioles?

PostPost #1 by Beaker » April 25th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Every game I watch and see Brian Roberts in the dugout I always get to wondering will he ever hit the field again in an Orioles uniform or any uniform at that. Not only is he dealing with the head injuries, but also the emergence of Robert Andino at 2B. I think his time is over for the Orioles. What do you all think?
Beaker
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Will B-Rob ever play another game for the Orioles?

PostPost #2 by Rising O's » April 25th, 2012, 4:47 pm

I really do not understand why he is still with the team. Is he looking to coach? Is Showalter showing him the ropes? Its the only thing I can come up with.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by Beaker » April 25th, 2012, 4:51 pm

Rising O's wrote:I really do not understand why he is still with the team. Is he looking to coach? Is Showalter showing him the ropes? Its the only thing I can come up with.
He does look like a coach in the dugout.
Beaker
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by CSPitt17130 » April 25th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Beaker wrote:Every game I watch and see Brian Roberts in the dugout I always get to wondering will he ever hit the field again in an Orioles uniform or any uniform at that. Not only is he dealing with the head injuries, but also the emergence of Robert Andino at 2B. I think his time is over for the Orioles. What do you all think?

I don't know how similar concussion cases are, but the recovery of Morneau and Span are encouraging.

Andino, however, isn't going to prevent Roberts from playing. If Roberts can recover to anything close to before the injury (I know that's highly unlikely), he's much better than Andino.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Beaker » April 25th, 2012, 5:13 pm

He was much better than Andino pre-concussion, but the affects of a concussion can take a long time to recover. I like Roberts and really hope he can return to his old form, but if he misses this entire year and Andino has a good year I think his options at least with the Orioles are up.
Beaker
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by CSPitt17130 » April 25th, 2012, 5:35 pm

Beaker wrote:He was much better than Andino pre-concussion, but the affects of a concussion can take a long time to recover. I like Roberts and really hope he can return to his old form, but if he misses this entire year and Andino has a good year I think his options at least with the Orioles are up.

He's signed for $10 million for 2013. What are you suggesting happens to Roberts if he misses the rest of this year but can play next year?
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Beaker » April 25th, 2012, 5:37 pm

They can possibly try and trade him, but really coming off an injury like this one it would be hard to get something equal in trade for him.
Beaker
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by CSPitt17130 » April 25th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Beaker wrote:They can possibly try and trade him, but really coming off an injury like this one it would be hard to get something equal in trade for him.

Exactly. If Roberts can physically play, he's going to play.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Beaker » April 25th, 2012, 5:46 pm

I hope he is able to get back to the way he was.
Beaker
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by dan72 » April 25th, 2012, 7:37 pm

I have heard some baseball experts say that he is done. I feel that if he is able to come back, the least minor jarring to his head would finish him. That could come from a swing and miss, a slide into a base, diving for a ground ball ,virtually anything. I have played football at a high level and I have seen what concussions can do to a person.
Unfortunately money is involved here. Brian doesn't want to walk away from a mountain of cash, I would think that the Orioles should have some sort of insurance on a contract of that size. If I were the club, I would force his hand.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #11 by Beaker » April 25th, 2012, 10:18 pm

dan72 wrote:I have heard some baseball experts say that he is done. I feel that if he is able to come back, the least minor jarring to his head would finish him. That could come from a swing and miss, a slide into a base, diving for a ground ball ,virtually anything. I have played football at a high level and I have seen what concussions can do to a person.
Unfortunately money is involved here. Brian doesn't want to walk away from a mountain of cash, I would think that the Orioles should have some sort of insurance on a contract of that size. If I were the club, I would force his hand.
I have heard even loud noises like big crowds at the games bothers his head.
Beaker
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles