Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Have the high school prospects overtaken the college players?

Have the high school prospects overtaken the college players?

PostPost #1 by Rising O's » April 24th, 2012, 4:44 am

Its harder for the casual fan like me to find information on high school players that is updated enough to draw any conclusions. We have a few pitchers in Lucas Giolito, Max Fried, Lucas Sims and Walker Weickel whose upsides might be greater than the college pitchers who thus far have not been dominating like you would like to see. For position player at the college level you only have a couple of guys performing like you'd want in Mike Zunino and Richie Shaffer. HS guys like Carlos Correa, Byron Buxton and Albert Almora might have better overall upside too.

But have any of these high school players, other than Buxton, played themselves into top 5 consideration, knocking out a better known names, particularly someone like Mark Appel? Who has the scoop and wants to share some info? :?:
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

Re: Have the high school prospects overtaken the college players?

PostPost #2 by Rising O's » April 24th, 2012, 7:24 pm

What are the chances the Orioles do not like this pitching class enough for them to go with Carlos Correa?
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » April 25th, 2012, 1:37 am

Rising O's wrote:What are the chances the Orioles do not like this pitching class enough for them to go with Carlos Correa?

I would bet they haven't discounted the selection of any of the top prospects this year. Seems to me though if they aren't fond of the pitching class at 1:4 this season. They would go after a player that profiles as a high average hitter. This year's class may not have the heavy top front end talent that the last two had. But I've not read anything to believe that a great player cannot be found either.
Last edited by Old Sneakers on May 3rd, 2012, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #4 by Rising O's » April 25th, 2012, 12:13 pm

Where does the competition level in Puerto Rico rank when compared to Florida, Texas and California? I know it has been a long time since PR produced a number of ML players. I've read that is due to changes that made players in the PR eligible for the draft.

Overall the star power seems to be in the HS ranks, if Giolito proves to be healthy then it would not surprise me to see 3 of them go in the first 4 picks.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Don » April 28th, 2012, 8:10 am

Puerto Rico was a hotbed when I was a young teenager and about the time I was drafted it was starting to move from IFA into kids being subjected to the draft process. It took a huge dent because it no longer became financially rewarding for thsoe trainers, hanger ons, etc... and the kids could play soccer, basketball, etc...

It caused a mini drop off.

In the last few years, both MLB and a few great people in the territory have looked past the dollar signs and are really back to making things right for the kids. There is raw talent in that small island, but it is limited. The last few seasons has seen the academy built and a number of kids moved to division 1 baseball to gain an education. More kids play, competition increases and there are 4 kids that could be drafted rather high this season. There are a few in 2013 and 2014, so hopefully this trend will continue and Puerto Rico can turn back into a hotbed for talented baseball players.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » May 3rd, 2012, 11:41 am

From Baseball America...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/dra ... ournament/

Still, Correa is the main attraction for scouts at the event, and he did not disappoint. In his first game, Correa went 2-for-3 with two home runs. The hitters are using metal bats and the first home run was a mammoth shot to left field, probably about 375 feet. The second home run came on a hanging curveball and was more of a line drive about 350 feet, also to left field.

"I feel great. That was a great game for me," Correa said. "I feel comfortable, I feel good, I feel healthy, so that's good. I dreamt it would be like this, so it's like a dream come true. I love it . . . It feels good to be in front of the scouts. There's a lot of scouts here in Puerto Rico coming from the USA, so it feels good that they came to see every Puerto Rican player."

Correa set lofty goals for himself coming into the Excellence Tournament.

"I was joking with my friend that I want to be in the 5-5 club in the tournament, with five home runs and five stolen bases," Correa said. "I was just joking and told him that and he said, 'Nah, you can't do that.' But we'll see. I've already got two, so we'll see how it goes. I've got four games left."

Bleacher Report has us taking Correa in their latest mock draft.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Return to MLB Draft