Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

xavier avery is hot

xavier avery is hot

PostPost #1 by docjj » April 22nd, 2012, 7:11 pm

goodness, what a week.

3 more walks today, a double, a steal. Must be eating his wheaties. I sure hope he can keep it up. I read a lot of articles saying he's a non-prospect (John Sickels, etc....) I'd love to see him prove everyone wrong.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: xavier avery is hot

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » April 22nd, 2012, 7:23 pm

I would too.

Don has pointed out on occasions that he could technically be in college still.
I will admit that I still have reservations on whether he will truly be anything in the majors. But his success at each level has been positive.
You can't fault a guy that gets better at each stage.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by ofahn » April 22nd, 2012, 8:09 pm

I think the key with him is going to be plate discipline.

He seems to be able to take instruction and works hard. All good signs.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Zach » April 23rd, 2012, 8:05 am

The biggest thing is he is still young and producing in AAA. At 22, for a player to be producing at a AAA level is something no orioles fan should complain about. He seems to be a hard worker and a player that is constantly trying to get better and he has the tools to be a pretty good player. Heck he looks better than Bell did upon his arrival over here and the people writing those articles thought Bell was a top prospect.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » April 23rd, 2012, 10:20 pm

Good deal, we could always use the speed. Nice BB/K numbers. There is hope.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by dan72 » April 24th, 2012, 4:28 pm

Anyone think he could be ready by the time Adam Jones's contract is up? Makes you think that they could trade Jones for any one of their needs, 1B, 3B depending on what they do with Reynolds, or a front line pitcher.....
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by ofahn » April 24th, 2012, 4:35 pm

dan72 wrote:Anyone think he could be ready by the time Adam Jones's contract is up? Makes you think that they could trade Jones for any one of their needs, 1B, 3B depending on what they do with Reynolds, or a front line pitcher.....

He still has a lot of learning to do. I'd be happy if he was MLB ready by July 2013.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by Ampontan » April 24th, 2012, 10:24 pm

Hoes might even be ready by that time. But Avery got two more walks and another hit last night. Maybe he's starting to put things together.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » April 25th, 2012, 1:19 am

dan72 wrote:Anyone think he could be ready by the time Adam Jones's contract is up? Makes you think that they could trade Jones for any one of their needs, 1B, 3B depending on what they do with Reynolds, or a front line pitcher.....

Just an opinion but it seems to me Avery could take another two years in the minors before he gets a serious look in Baltimore. I wouldn't be to concerned about that though. If the guy is an everyday top of the order bat, that would be a major success for the team. To do that though the strike out rate will have to plummet and get really good at getting on base really fast!

The thought of trading Adam Jones at some point is a valid option down the line. I don't think the team will try to give him a monster contract. For now at least this is where he is and is staying. If the front office does move him it would require a pretty hefty return and I don't think they will get it.

I cannot say I would be completely shocked if Matt Weiters was moved. He's a huge value guy with lots to like. Question is who would be willing to offer up anything worthwhile to acquire him? I know it would have to be big.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #10 by CSPitt17130 » April 25th, 2012, 9:46 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Just an opinion but it seems to me Avery could take another two years in the minors before he gets a serious look in Baltimore. I wouldn't be to concerned about that though. If the guy is an everyday top of the order bat, that would be a major success for the team. To do that though the strike out rate will have to plummet and get really good at getting on base really fast!

I completely agree with this. Avery was as raw as a prospect could get when he was drafted. In spring training this year, Delmonico looked more comfortable at the plate than Avery did in a few at-bats in major league games. The fact that he's playing well at AAA at 22 means he's obviously progressed pretty well since he's been drafted, but he's got so much more room to improve. He should be kept in AAA as long as he is still getting better. If that's for another 2 years, but that means that he improves enough to be a major league starter, then it'll be worth the extra time. He shouldn't be promoted until he reaches that level or he isn't getting any better.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #11 by DougDE » April 26th, 2012, 7:57 pm

.835 OPS and 7 for 7 in steals is a nice start for him. Those numbers for a 22 y.o. at AAA are certainly encouraging.
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #12 by Tucker Blair » April 27th, 2012, 11:17 am

DougDE wrote:.835 OPS and 7 for 7 in steals is a nice start for him. Those numbers for a 22 y.o. at AAA are certainly encouraging.

he is absolutelty raising some eyebrows and turning heads this season.
Which is awesome.

I hope he proves a lot of people wrong (including myself!)
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #13 by Don » April 28th, 2012, 8:13 am

I continue to say that he was on a five year plan. It would always go beyond stats and he needed to take baby steps to round out his entire game.

If he can continue this upward trend, he could profile as an everyday regular in centerfield (even with the slight deficiencies). I would not look at him as the player that could replace Adam Jones production, but Adam has the real chance to always outperform offensively for his position.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Minor Leagues