Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What's the obsession with Matt Garza?

What's the obsession with Matt Garza?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 29th, 2012, 11:24 pm

I understand that the Orioles need rotation help. I do not understand why Matt Garza is the talk of the SP trade market.

He posted ERAs in the high 3s during his time in Minnesota and Tampa. His FIPs during that time were all above 4. It wasn't until last year's move to the NL that he really turned into an ace (3.32 ERA, 2.95 FIP).

This year he's back to his old self with a 4.06 ERA and 4.00 FIP.

He's not a guy that will come in and give the Orioles a #1 starter. I don't think that's what he is. I see him more as a solid #3 starter and there is no way he is worth a top prospect.

Why does everyone want the Orioles to trade for this guy so badly?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: What's the obsession with Matt Garza?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » June 29th, 2012, 11:26 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Why does everyone want the Orioles to trade for this guy so badly?

Not everyone.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 29th, 2012, 11:28 pm

ofahn wrote:
Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Why does everyone want the Orioles to trade for this guy so badly?

Not everyone.

Well, for those who believe the Orioles need to trade for a SP. Which I don't.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by ofahn » June 29th, 2012, 11:42 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Well, for those who believe the Orioles need to trade for a SP. Which I don't.

ONE SP is not going to resolve three rotation spots, nor is it going to fix our defense problems at 1B and 3B, nor is it going to give us a more consistent hitter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 30th, 2012, 1:01 am

I couldn't agree more. I think Garza would be a great option for the O's because of his previous relative success in the AL East and his proven ability to provide quality innings. He would make a great #3 behind Hammel and Chen. However the outrageous asking price the Cubs are putting out makes him an extremely unattractive option for the O's. If he could be acquired for a reasonable price I would jump on it but not for what the Cubs want.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by Matt P » June 30th, 2012, 1:12 am

I wouldn't be against them trading for Matt Garza but I have stated numerous times they need hitting more than pitching.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » June 30th, 2012, 9:38 am

It just seems like everyone because the same discussion is happening on every forum.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » June 30th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Four reasons:
-- Battled tested in AL East
-- Career ERA of 3.85
-- He would be the #2 (and some would argue #1) starter on our staff
-- He would be under club control through 2013.

8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #9 by dan72 » July 1st, 2012, 6:57 am

Correct! He would not solve the problem of 3 bad starting pitchers, but he would be the best pitcher to wear an Orioles uniform since Mike Mussina.
I'm not comparing him to Mussina I'm just saying its crazy to think that we have had that many years of poor pitching. Signing a guy like Garza will also show other free agents that we are for real. I don't care if it's Garza or Wandy Rodriguez or any other real bonefide starter.
I think signing a guy like Garza could mean an additional 4-5 wins during the second half. I have a feeling the wild card will be decided by a slimmer margin.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #10 by osforlife » July 1st, 2012, 7:40 am

I have not been one of the commenters who wants to trade for Garza. I think he would be a nice addition to our team but the asking price is most likely insane and not worth it. He is not a #1, and probably not a #2. But he would give us a quality starting option in our rotation after Chen and Hammel. Forget about the asking price for this comment and take this into account.
What I have been thinking about is that a trade for Garza now would put us in a good situation come the start of 2013. Hammel, Garza, Chen, Wada, Britton. Arrieta, Tillman, and Hunter could all be dominant relievers in one inning stints IMO. If we are sellers, Hammel, Garza, ad Wada could each give us hefty returns. If we are buyers, we can keep them all and try for a shot at the playoffs with potentially 5 quality starters. Of course anything could happen between now and the trade deadline of 2013, but I thought it was worth discussing.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » July 1st, 2012, 8:52 am

I'm all for bringing in Garza but if we are not putting Schoop, Bundy and Machado on the table, I fear we will be outbid for him. I would hope somehow we could convince the Cubs that Tillman, Hoes and maybe a third piece would get it done 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles