Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

MLBTR mentions Thome as possible fit for O's

MLBTR mentions Thome as possible fit for O's

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 28th, 2012, 11:27 pm

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/06/p ... teams.html
Thome's friends say he would prefer to return to one of his former teams, but the Indians and White Sox have their DH spots filled and the Twins will be sellers instead of buyers at the trade deadline. Among AL contenders, the Orioles stand out as having the clearest need for a DH, with the Rays (Luke Scott has struggled and Hideki Matsui hasn't produced much) and Rangers as darkhorse candidates, though Thome would be expendable in Texas once Mitch Moreland returns from the DL in August.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: MLBTR mentions Thome as possible fit for O's

PostPost #2 by ofahn » June 29th, 2012, 12:04 am

I think he would be a VERY positive addition to the team, BUT the Orioles would have to remove Reynolds from the roster by one method or another to make room for him. Are they ready to do that?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » June 29th, 2012, 12:03 pm

I would pass on this deal. Thome is older than dirt and will likely cost us a young prospect. No thanks. I would try and move Reynolds first and foremost if that is humanly possible 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by dan72 » June 29th, 2012, 6:47 pm

The Orioles should have pursued Thome 10 or 12 years ago.... I would not aquire any players that don't figure into a 2-3 year run for the playoffs. We need to stop with all the NIck Johnson, Ryan Flaherty crap and pursue real players.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by Matt P » June 30th, 2012, 1:09 am

What an absolutely horrendous idea. They don't need a DH to hit against right handed starters, they already have Wilson Betemit. They need a 3B is what they need.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 30th, 2012, 1:27 am

Matt P wrote:What an absolutely horrendous idea. They don't need a DH to hit against right handed starters, they already have Wilson Betemit. They need a 3B is what they need.

I'm still unsure of what I think about them trading for Thome.

He can hit righties and lefties pretty well still, but it doesn't make sense to have Davis, Thome, Reynolds, and Betemit.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 30th, 2012, 1:38 am

When Markakis is back, Steve Pearce is probably gone.

That leaves Jones, Avery, Markakis as the outfield. Paulino and Wieters as the catchers.

Infielders would be Andino, Betemit, Davis, Flaherty, Hardy, Reynolds, Roberts.

Avery should be up to stay. Paulino obviously isn't going anywhere. Thome really only fits unless someone else goes and they seem to have an obsession with Flaherty and his versatility so he's probably not going anywhere. Andino is probably safe.

I really only see Thome as a fit if they deal one of Betemit, Davis, Reynolds. But that doesn't really make sense.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Matt P » June 30th, 2012, 2:00 am

I kind of like the idea of an Avery/Pearce platoon in LF. Pearce has always hit lefties well throughout his career. I like the idea of having him on the bench as a potential pinch hitter against a left handed pitcher.

I would go with Avery/Pearce, Jones, and Markakis in the outfield. Avery can play center if Jones needs a day off or gets injured. Pearce can play left field or right field and like I said is good against left handed pitching.

Wieters, Davis, Roberts, Andino, and Hardy would be my infield. Paulino as the back up catcher until Teagarden is ready, Betemit and Reynolds platoon at DH. Flaherty would be my super UTIL type player on the bench.

Either way, I see no need for Jim Thome at all.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 30th, 2012, 2:24 am

Matt P wrote:I kind of like the idea of an Avery/Pearce platoon in LF. Pearce has always hit lefties well throughout his career. I like the idea of having him on the bench as a potential pinch hitter against a left handed pitcher.

I would go with Avery/Pearce, Jones, and Markakis in the outfield. Avery can play center if Jones needs a day off or gets injured. Pearce can play left field or right field and like I said is good against left handed pitching.

Wieters, Davis, Roberts, Andino, and Hardy would be my infield. Paulino as the back up catcher until Teagarden is ready, Betemit and Reynolds platoon at DH. Flaherty would be my super UTIL type player on the bench.

Either way, I see no need for Jim Thome at all.

When Markakis is back, though, who would you get rid of?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Matt P » June 30th, 2012, 3:18 am

Kevin Gregg

I don't know why they refuse to get rid of him but the time has come as there really is no room for him. I'm not a fan of a 13 man pitching staff but if they insist on having 8 in the bullpen due to Matusz, Hunter, and Arrieta they should have two of them be long relievers. Either way, a traditional 7 man bullpen has no room for him and an 8 man bullpen with two long men has no room for him either.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Tucker Blair » June 30th, 2012, 9:56 am

There are a few reasons you want a guy like thome on a team.

Veteran presence whose been there and can work with young hitters. Some call that a bull crap reason but I think it has some effect.
He can still hit very well

However:
Age is detriment to any team not in contention.
Costs anything more than a C level prospec than I wouldn't even consider it.
he can really only DH at this point and that hurts the roster that the Orioles currently have.

I personally wouldn't bring him in.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Return to Baltimore Orioles