Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Ranking the top 5 prospects in Orioles System

Ranking the top 5 prospects in Orioles System

PostPost #1 by Don » June 8th, 2012, 10:06 am

I thought someone spiked my coffee when someone told me that I agreed with Keith Law (I joke as he is a very nice person face to face, but very opinionated.)

1. Dylan Bundy - I have told friends he was one to watch as as sophomore in area code games. By the time he was a senior, he was arguably the best high school pitcher that I have seen, including Beckett and Verlander. He has to continue to improve facets of his game, but starting off the on the right foot and still continues to look the part of the "Ace". Long way to go to be ranked with the true shutdown pitchers of today's game, but heading in the right direction.

2. Manny Machado - Forget the errors, forget the slumps, this kid is still a highly sought after player. He looked head and shoulder above his high A peers last season, would not surprise me to see the same. He just is a tireless worker, look at how much muscle this kid put on this season and he has the range to continue at SS. In my eyes, he has star potential.

3. Kevin Gausman - I have no worries about him signing and I think his blend of arm speed, arsenal, and slight projection gives an argument that the Orioles could have two potential Ace type pitchers (albeit I think his is slim b/c of command).

4. Jonathan Schoop - Fans need to remember that he is two years younger than most of his peers and not everyone has the fast track ability of Bryce Harper. He will take his lumps, but his bat has serious dual threat potential. He can fit in any three of the infield positions and at worst the arm strength would be deadly in RF.

Before Season
5. Parker Bridwell - This kid has a TON of talent, just needs to improve his confidence and mental toughness. The tools are present and he is simply allowing things outside of his control get in his way. Over-thinking and not having a repetitive pattern of thoughts to maintain focus is a major hurdle to overcome. Once this happens, he can allow his natural given talents to shine and hit the ground running as a high No. 2 ceiling starter. If the hurdle does not happen, he has closer electric arm.

During Season
5. Nick Delmonico - I thought the injuries had a lot of to do with his sub-par bat speed and inconsistency last spring. He has the foundation to hit for high contact with a solid approach and his maturation has power reaching above average (maybe plus) ability because he shows pop and high gap power at this stage. Adding another 15 pounds will greatly enhance his offensive ability. The one thing to take notice is the amount of swing and miss, but I need to see it for myself to think this is a problem or just first season adjustments to a better class of off-speed offerings consistently.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: Ranking the top 5 prospects in Orioles System

PostPost #2 by mcpd » June 8th, 2012, 8:25 pm

good info. What do you think of Rodriguez at delmarva?
mcpd
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » June 9th, 2012, 9:45 pm

Don,

Can you come to Delmarva and tell Parker that? Before his start tomorrow if possible? (kidding)

On a serious note, where do you see Delmonico defensively?
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by dan72 » June 11th, 2012, 5:39 pm

Bridwell is very young, he needs to get experience. He has a heavy fastball which is good to see. Still learning to pitch, he is going to have to transition away from being a thrower. I think he is a real wild card, we have all seen guys like him come along before and never figure "it" out. If he can progress as a starter, we could have one great young rotation come 2014 ish.....
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » June 13th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Where is Delmonico on this list???? I would slot him ahead of Schoop and Machado at this point. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by CSPitt17130 » June 13th, 2012, 3:40 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Where is Delmonico on this list???? I would slot him ahead of Schoop and Machado at this point. Just my two cents 8-)

Maybe you should finish reading the original post. Someone could MAYBE make an argument slotting Delmonico ahead of Schoop but definitely not Machado. Machado is only about 2 weeks older than Delmonico and he's two levels ahead of him. No one knows where Delmonico ends up playing in the field, and until he shows he can play somewhere other than 1B, he's only a good prospect and not a great one with how he's currently projected to hit.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » June 26th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Not sure I would rate Machado as a great prospect right now. Perhaps I will think differently after the season. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 26th, 2012, 7:52 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Not sure I would rate Machado as a great prospect right now. Perhaps I will think differently after the season. 8-)

What more could you want from Machado right now?

He has a 101 OPS+ and he's 5 years younger than the average Eastern League hitter. Nothing to complain about here. He's 19 in AA and is not just holding his own, but is better than the average player in the Eastern League.

There's not much more he can do.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » June 28th, 2012, 12:43 pm

I think he is a good player but I don't see greatness written all over him. Right now I like Delmonico better long term. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Aaron » June 28th, 2012, 2:06 pm

How in the world can you right now like Delmonico better long term? When comparing Delmarva’s statistics and their statistics this year (Delmonico and Machado are both 19 this year), you have to say that Machado is the better prospect and you have to like him better long term. Not to mention that Machado plays a more demanding defensive position and Delmonico still doesn't have a position.
Aaron
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 28th, 2012, 9:13 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I think he is a good player but I don't see greatness written all over him. Right now I like Delmonico better long term. Just my two cents 8-)

What has Machado done that makes you so low on him?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #12 by EmeraldHorse » June 29th, 2012, 10:24 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:What has Machado done that makes you so low on him?

You're not really expecting a reasonable response from someone who thinks Delmonico will be better than Machado, are you? Read the rest of birdwatcher55's posts. None of them make sense.
EmeraldHorse
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Minor Leagues