Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Norfolk Bullpen Domination

Norfolk Bullpen Domination

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » June 28th, 2012, 12:28 pm

The AAA pitching staff has been rather ridiculous this season.
The bullpen has been absolutely amazing.

So many arms down there doing an exceptional job.
While some of them are simply holding ground, some are really impressing.

AAA Statistics of the minor league signings Duquette made:

Stu Pomeranz: 2 Hits in 10.0 IP, 0.00 ERA, 15 K/2 BB, .065 AVG (Called up to MLB but placed on DL)
Miguel Socolovich: 25 Hits in 39.2 IP, 1.59 ERA, 44 K/10 BB, .179 AVG
Oscar Villarreal: 26 Hits in 39.0 IP, 2.08 ERA, 27 K/19 BB, .191 AVG
Pat Neshek: 34 Hits in 33.0 IP, 3.00 ERA, 33 K/ 6 BB, .268 AVG
Miguel Gonzalez: 22 Hits in 44.2 IP, 1.61 ERA, 53 K/ 10 BB, .143 AVG (Started 6 Games)

Simply put, Duquette did a damn fine job adding depth for the bullpen. In return, the Orioles have one of the best bullpens at the MLB AND AAA level.

I didn't even include JC Romero or Rich Rundles above, but they have been equally impressive since being signed. It's just AAA, but I haven't felt this comfortable about the Orioles pen issues in....well a REALLY long time.

Then you have Schrader, Belfiore, and hopefully a healthy Klein for next season to push towards AAA/Majors.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

Re: Norfolk Bullpen Domination

PostPost #2 by mcpd » June 28th, 2012, 2:18 pm

Yea I'm looking forward to seeing how Schrader does at Bowie the rest of the year.
mcpd
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #3 by Matt P » June 29th, 2012, 1:27 am

This is part of the reason I feel they should try and sell anyone they can in the bullpen except Strop and Patton. They have relievers in the minors doing great and they have starters in the minors that would more than likely be great as relievers.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » June 29th, 2012, 10:53 am

Matt P wrote:This is part of the reason I feel they should try and sell anyone they can in the bullpen except Strop and Patton. They have relievers in the minors doing great and they have starters in the minors that would more than likely be great as relievers.

I think they could very well trade a few of them, but I would not go overboard with it. But with Pomeranz coming back (hopefully), Socolovich needing a chance, I have no problem with them swinging a trade or two in a high demand market like RP currently is.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #5 by Ampontan » June 30th, 2012, 10:17 am

And Burke, too, who just got promoted.

Rundles seems to have a knee injury, according to a lew Ford Tweet, but no details yet.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » June 30th, 2012, 11:00 am

Ampontan wrote:And Burke, too, who just got promoted.

Rundles seems to have a knee injury, according to a lew Ford Tweet, but no details yet.

I didn't add Burke because when I was writing this he was in the process of blowing a lead :D
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Return to Minor Leagues