Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Chris Tillman

Chris Tillman

PostPost #1 by Matt P » June 27th, 2012, 8:11 pm

5.2ip 5h 1er 1bb 7k tonight on 96 pitches. Four groundouts to three fly outs so he didn't have the ground ball working as good as he has recently. Once again he wasn't able to get deep in the game but once again the results were good.

It's only a matter of time until he gets a chance in the majors wether it's with the Orioles or another club.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Chris Tillman

PostPost #2 by Rising O's » June 28th, 2012, 11:31 am

None of the crack local reporters has any idea of what is going on with Tillman?

He's better now than he was as a top prospect in 2009 in one very important statistic, ground ball %.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by ofahn » June 28th, 2012, 2:49 pm

Rising O's wrote:None of the crack local reporters has any idea of what is going on with Tillman?

He's better now than he was as a top prospect in 2009 in one very important statistic, ground ball %.

Yes, but he can't get out of the sixth inning with less than 100 pitches against AAA hitters. IMO that's NOT a legitimate ML starter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » June 28th, 2012, 2:55 pm

ofahn wrote:
Rising O's wrote:None of the crack local reporters has any idea of what is going on with Tillman?

Yes, but he can't get out of the sixth inning with less than 100 pitches against AAA hitters. IMO that's NOT a legitimate ML starter.

I have a theory though that might not make this as bad. He's getting so many K's down there, which won't happen in the pros (presumably).
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by ofahn » June 28th, 2012, 3:06 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
ofahn wrote:

I have a theory though that might not make this as bad. He's getting so many K's down there, which won't happen in the pros (presumably).

Valid point, but it raises two concerns. First, his "success" is based upon less disciplined batters at AAA swinging at pitches that ML batters wouldn't. That doesn't translate well into ML effectiveness.

Second, In an age of 100 pitch limitations a SP must learn how to dispose of a batter in about four pitches to get into the eighth. High K rate pitchers normally don't do that. Combine that with Tillman's history of less than impressive stamina. If he is becoming a strikeout pitcher that needs twenty pitches to get through an inning then, IMO, he profiles as an impact late inning reliever, not a SP.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by dan72 » June 29th, 2012, 6:36 pm

I like the fact that he has cut back on the walks....I think Tillman does need to focus on trying to be around 15 pitches per inning to go deeper into games. I feel like if he's not good enough to crack our current staff he should have some trade value. Still young, still has upside.
This team needs a corner infielder and an outfielder, hopefully one of the two can fill the clean up spot that Wieters does not deserve to be in.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » June 29th, 2012, 9:24 pm

I think he's doing what you want, Ks, ground balls, and low HR rate. Its possible he simply does not have a consistent out pitch causing the inflated pitch count. Jeremy Guthrie was the same way. But he's 24, he can easily master a new pitch, like a splitter, or just improve whatever it is that is working for him now. I just wish we knew what it is that is different.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 29th, 2012, 9:37 pm

Rising O's wrote:I think he's doing what you want, Ks, ground balls, and low HR rate. Its possible he simply does not have a consistent out pitch causing the inflated pitch count. Jeremy Guthrie was the same way. But he's 24, he can easily master a new pitch, like a splitter, or just improve whatever it is that is working for him now. I just wish we knew what it is that is different.

Hearing his changeup is much improved.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » July 1st, 2012, 7:26 am

After Saturday, five shutout innings by Tillman would look great :lol: Personally I think he is eventually going to be the next Jim Johnson. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Minor Leagues