Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What will it take to get Greinke or Garza and is it worth it?

What will it take to get Greinke or Garza and is it worth it?

PostPost #1 by BuckMagic » June 27th, 2012, 12:33 am

Let's say the O's go on a tear and are a few games back on July 27 (I can dream, right?! :D )

Would you want the O's to trade a package of prospects for a guy like Garza or Greinke? What if you could extend them before you receive them!?
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: What will it take to get Greinke or Garza and is it worth it?

PostPost #2 by Matt P » June 27th, 2012, 12:55 am

I wouldn't trade for Greinke unless he is signing an extension with us and seeing how Duquette seems to agree with prior regimes that anything over 3 years for a pitcher is a huge risk I don't see it happening. I wouldn't want to give up Bundy, Schoop, or Machado for a half year of a pitcher that likely isn't going to put the team over the top.

I like Garza, he's pitched well in the AL East before, and he would be a huge upgrade, but I really just have no clue what 1.5 years of him is worth. I definitely would not trade Machado or Bundy for him. Schoop I guess would have to be involved but I'm not so sure I want to give him up in a package for Garza.

I really think they need hitting more than another starter. Markakis will be back but he isn't going to be the savior of this team. If Reimold wasn't out for the rest of the year (likely out I should say) I may be more for trading for a starter but for right now we desperately need hitting. The offense is only good at hitting home runs, striking out, and grounding into double plays.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #3 by Rising O's » June 27th, 2012, 9:20 am

No its not worth it. While the team is desperate for someone to be the #3 starter, a pitcher alone will not be enough. This team is still awful on defense. And having Reynolds and Betemit, etc hitting 5 and 6 is helping to kill the offense too. There are still too many holes and some blockbuster trade will only make this team slightly more competitive while gutting the farm system leaving us with little to look forward to in 2014+.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » June 27th, 2012, 2:56 pm

After listening to Gammons today, I doubt seriously if we're in the mix for either one 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » June 27th, 2012, 2:57 pm

If we fall out of it, I wonder what Johnson and Hamel would fetch on the open market?? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by A_K » June 27th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Time for everyone to soberly assess the quality of this team and decide whether it makes sense to trade even one marginal prospect to win a few additional games this year. Our offense can't get on base, our defense can't convert routine plays, and we need improvement in 3 of 5 spots of the starting rotation. What about that equation says "make a short-term move"?
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #7 by ofahn » June 27th, 2012, 7:20 pm

A_K wrote:Time for everyone to soberly assess the quality of this team and decide whether it makes sense to trade even one marginal prospect to win a few additional games this year. Our offense can't get on base, our defense can't convert routine plays, and we need improvement in 3 of 5 spots of the starting rotation. What about that equation says "make a short-term move"?

If we can get Headley from San Diego for a reasonable price (NOT Dylan Bundy, Schoop, Machado, Delmonico) it would be a solid acquisition that would help bridge to the future.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by A_K » June 27th, 2012, 7:44 pm

ofahn wrote:
A_K wrote:Time for everyone to soberly assess the quality of this team and decide whether it makes sense to trade even one marginal prospect to win a few additional games this year. Our offense can't get on base, our defense can't convert routine plays, and we need improvement in 3 of 5 spots of the starting rotation. What about that equation says "make a short-term move"?

If we can get Headley from San Diego for a reasonable price (NOT Dylan Bundy, Schoop, Machado, Delmonico) it would be a solid acquisition that would help bridge to the future.

I'm sure we could withhold Bundy and Machado, but I'd bet both Schoop and Delmonico would be needed to make the deal happen. Padres have openly said they're taking calls but will need "a lot" to make a move.

Most hypothetical trades exist in a world where there's no real cost to acquire something worthwhile. Reality is any player who would be "a solid acquisition" in the short term while also being able to "help bridge to the future" is going to cost a lot.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by ofahn » June 27th, 2012, 7:51 pm

A_K wrote:Dylan Bundy, Schoop, Machado, Delmonico

Dylan Bundy, Schoop, Machado, Delmonico would be my firm line in the sand. If it would take one of those guys then I would pass.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by A_K » June 27th, 2012, 7:52 pm

ofahn wrote:
A_K wrote:Dylan Bundy, Schoop, Machado, Delmonico

Dylan Bundy, Schoop, Machado, Delmonico would be my firm line in the sand. If it would take one of those guys then I would pass.

To be clear, drawing the line there means you're not going to get anyone of any significance for this year or in the future, which makes one wonder: why bother?
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by ofahn » June 27th, 2012, 7:56 pm

A_K wrote:To be clear, drawing the line there means you're not going to get anyone of any significance for this year or in the future, which makes one wonder: why bother?

Agreed. I would rather wait if the cost is too high.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles