Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Hammel, Jones, Wieters make Dave Cameron's All-Star team

Hammel, Jones, Wieters make Dave Cameron's All-Star team

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 27th, 2012, 1:12 pm

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... ar-roster/

Catchers: Joe Mauer, Matt Wieters, Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Mauer’s had a nice bounce back season and is one of the few things going right in Minnesota this year. Wieters has been up-and-down at the plate but is a monster defensively, and Salty has been perhaps the most pleasant surprise of the year in Boston. All three are deserving on their own merits, and none of them are here because we needed a representative for their team.

Outfield: Josh Hamilton, Mike Trout, Adam Jones, Austin Jackson, Josh Willingham, Mark Trumbo, Jose Bautista, Josh Reddick

Starting Pitchers: Justin Verlander, Chris Sale, Jered Weaver, David Price, Jason Hammel, Jake Peavy

Verlander’s a no-brainer, but there’s a lot of nits to pick after that. Price and Hammel get extra credit for pitching in the AL East, and the White Sox duo have to overcome a tough park to pitch in as well. There are other deserving candidates, but with a large field to pick from, you have to draw lines somewhere.

Jim Johnson just missed the cut:
Apologies To: Jim Johnson, Scott Downs, Joaquin Benoit, Rafael Soriano, Scott Atchison, Countless Others
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Hammel, Jones, Wieters make Dave Cameron's All-Star team

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » June 27th, 2012, 1:13 pm

Basing off fWAR, that's presumably why he didn't choose Johnson.

But let's be honest, he easily deserves a spot. Just because he doesn't K that many batters does not mean he hasn't been tremendous.
Of course fWAR is mainly about peripherals so
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 27th, 2012, 1:16 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Basing off fWAR, that's presumably why he didn't choose Johnson.

But let's be honest, he easily deserves a spot. Just because he doesn't K that many batters does not mean he hasn't been tremendous.

Have a look at the rWAR numbers for O's relievers. I think they have 4 or 5 relievers with 1+ rWAR.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » June 27th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:Basing off fWAR, that's presumably why he didn't choose Johnson.

Have a look at the rWAR numbers for O's relievers. I think they have 4 or 5 relievers with 1+ rWAR.

They do. Believe it's Ayala, O'Day, Strop, JJ. I typically like fWAR when it comes to some aspects of the game, but this is one spot I don't agree. A save is a save, and when you are getting GB% like he is, I don't mind not having K% high.

also some argue the importance of a save, but with how many 1 run games the orioles play, I would argue he's been rather huge for this team.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by Matt P » June 27th, 2012, 2:07 pm

Johnson has been the best or second best closer in the AL this season, what a joke.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #6 by osforlife » June 29th, 2012, 4:32 pm

I'd take Johnson over hammel and wieters. Jones and johnson are definites. And then hammel comes before wieters. MO.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » June 29th, 2012, 9:31 pm

Just a list, but JJ would have to go, of course it could end up being a numbers thing for one of these guys.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

Return to Baltimore Orioles