Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Britton 6/26/12

Britton 6/26/12

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » June 26th, 2012, 9:08 pm

Britton was better than advertised tonight.

The first 4 innings tonight, he looked excellent. Was keeping the ball low in the zone and inducing groundball after groundball. He really looked terrific. Only one ball was truly hit hard, and it happened to be their only hit thru 4.

He induced 10 ground balls compared to 1 fly ball. Tough to ask for much more.

Then the 5th inning came. He simply looked drained and completely out of stamina. It seems to be the case for him this season so far. I still think he is working through getting back up to speed at least in some way.

I know a lot of people will be disappointed from his outing, but as someone who watched every pitch I can say he was really good for majority of it. It's going to be interesting seeing how he continues down the road.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Britton 6/26/12

PostPost #2 by legmason » June 26th, 2012, 9:42 pm

that's good to hear. He really hasn't thrown much this year and it's probably taking a little to get back into game shape. What did you think of Steve Johnson? His line looks incredible. 5 innings, no hits and 8ks?
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » June 26th, 2012, 9:42 pm

legmason wrote:that's good to hear. He really hasn't thrown much this year and it's probably taking a little to get back into game shape. What did you think of Steve Johnson? His line looks incredible. 5 innings, no hits and 8ks?

He looked incredible. I'm a little curious as to why he's in the pen. Either they like him there for the future/mlb club, or they simply didn't have the room. I don't know, but he was baffling hitters all night.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #4 by ofahn » June 26th, 2012, 9:48 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
legmason wrote:that's good to hear. He really hasn't thrown much this year and it's probably taking a little to get back into game shape. What did you think of Steve Johnson? His line looks incredible. 5 innings, no hits and 8ks?

He looked incredible. I'm a little curious as to why he's in the pen. Either they like him there for the future/mlb club, or they simply didn't have the room. I don't know, but he was baffling hitters all night.

I wonder if the front office felt guys like Willis and Piniero would be better suited to call up in an emergency basis than Johnson. Britton and Tillman were renovation and rehab projects. Then they decided to stretch out Gonzales. The only way Steve fits into that is if they go with a six man rotation.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 26th, 2012, 9:48 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:

Have always thought he could be a middle reliever in the majors. Have never been sold on him as a big league starter though. Curveball must've been sharp tonight?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 26th, 2012, 9:49 pm

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:

I wonder if the front office felt guys like Willis and Piniero would be better suited to call up in an emergency basis than Johnson. Britton and Tillman were renovation and rehab projects. Then they decided to stretch out Gonzales. The only way Steve fits into that is if they go with a six man rotation.

That's a great point. I think it's a combination of this and the fact that they just see him more as a reliever at the big league level.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » June 26th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Very good point ofahn.
I've never seen him look this good though. Every pitch tonight was better than I have seen.

It was a very good game to watch.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #8 by ofahn » June 26th, 2012, 9:59 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Very good point ofahn.
I've never seen him look this good though. Every pitch tonight was better than I have seen.

He has always reminded me of the working man/lunch box kind of prospect. None of his skills"wow" you but he knows how to pitch and has a strong K rate. Now that he has a better control of the walks I think he's a legitimate ML reliever prospect although his track record is that he struggles at the beginning of each step up and then makes the adjustments.

I would have been p**sed if we would not have put him on the 40 Man Roster and lost him a few weeks ago.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by ofahn » June 26th, 2012, 10:02 pm

Oh, one other thought. I still believe the team is positioning Tillman to maximize his trade value; so he might be gone in a few weeks. Since there is no logical choice to bring up from Bowie right now we'll have to see if Steve is put back in the rotation.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » June 26th, 2012, 10:02 pm

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:Very good point ofahn.

He has always reminded me of the working man/lunch box kind of prospect. None of his skills"wow" you but he knows how to pitch and has a strong K rate. Now that he has a better control of the walks I think he's a legitimate ML reliever prospect although his track record is that he struggles at the beginning of each step up and then makes the adjustments.

I would have been p**sed if we would not have put him on the 40 Man Roster and lost him a few weeks ago.

me too. I kind fo expected him to be a tweener like this for a bit, but someone would have easily scooped him up if not placed on 40man.

I've seen Steve pitch since his HS days, so I've always followed him closely. This is by far the best I have seen him since then (of games I've personally watch of course)

Back to Britton, he only gave up ONE fly ball tonight. Imagine if he can do that in the bigs. Besides the errors the dreadful corner defense will give up, it could be pretty useful. Stamina is really not there though and that's blatantly obvious.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #11 by ofahn » June 26th, 2012, 10:05 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Stamina is really not there though and that's blatantly obvious.

Maybe he needed a can of Spinach*.

*I wonder how many of you will get THAT one?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Matt P » June 27th, 2012, 12:22 am

Good to hear he only needs to work on his stamina at this point. I heard Peterson on the Scott Garceau show and he had some great things to say about him last week. Let's hope that Buck has already told Betemit and Reynolds that they are to leave their gloves at home on days that Britton is scheduled to pitch when he comes back to Baltimore.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #13 by Tucker Blair » June 27th, 2012, 12:58 am

Matt P wrote:Good to hear he only needs to work on his stamina at this point. I heard Peterson on the Scott Garceau show and he had some great things to say about him last week. Let's hope that Buck has already told Betemit and Reynolds that they are to leave their gloves at home on days that Britton is scheduled to pitch when he comes back to Baltimore.

LOL!

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:Stamina is really not there though and that's blatantly obvious.

Maybe he needed a can of Spinach*.

*I wonder how many of you will get THAT one?

Come on now! anyone over the age of 16 should know that.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Return to Minor Leagues