Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Andino Struggling All Around

Andino Struggling All Around

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » June 24th, 2012, 10:12 pm

Robert Andino was the hot topic all off-season. He was the "big-shot", the man of the year in NY, Tampa and Baltimore. He knocked the Sox out of the playoffs.

This year, he is having a nightmare season. A season that has brought back the reality of him being at best a UTIL guy. However, after looking at some numbers, I'm quite puzzled as to WHY this has happened so drastically.

Check out these numbers:

2011 vs LHP: .306 avg, .325 wOBA in 161 PA
2011 vs RHP: .243 avg, .290 wOBA in 350 PA

2012 vs LHP: .222 avg, .255 wOBA in 68 PA
2012 vs RHP: .238 avg, .277 wOBA in 180 PA

2011 is exacty how his career numbers look, even in the minors. So why is he not hitting LHP in 2012? That was primarily his biggest strong-point for being on this team. He could fill in at SS/2B/3B and hit LHP very well.
Could playing every single day have exposed him that much? I really doubt that. I'm sure it did in some aspect, but that much? It's almost as if he completely changed into a different player.

Andino looks completely different this year to me. Nothing like the player I saw last season, who looked like a decent UTIL guy that could player a couple times a week. Looking more like a bench guy, AAA player so far.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Andino Struggling All Around

PostPost #2 by ofahn » June 24th, 2012, 10:20 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Robert Andino was the hot topic all off-season. He was the "big-shot", the man of the year in NY, Tampa and Baltimore. He knocked the Sox out of the playoffs.

This year, he is having a nightmare season. A season that has brought back the reality of him being at best a UTIL guy. However, after looking at some numbers, I'm quite puzzled as to WHY this has happened so drastically.

Check out these numbers:

2011 vs LHP: .306 avg, .325 wOBA in 161 PA
2011 vs RHP: .243 avg, .290 wOBA in 350 PA

2012 vs LHP: .222 avg, .255 wOBA in 68 PA
2012 vs RHP: .238 avg, .277 wOBA in 180 PA

2011 is exacty how his career numbers look, even in the minors. So why is he not hitting LHP in 2012? That was primarily his biggest strong-point for being on this team. He could fill in at SS/2B/3B and hit LHP very well.
Could playing every single day have exposed him that much? I really doubt that. I'm sure it did in some aspect, but that much? It's almost as if he completely changed into a different player.

Andino looks completely different this year to me. Nothing like the player I saw last season, who looked like a decent UTIL guy that could player a couple times a week. Looking more like a bench guy, AAA player so far.

Thanks for the research.

I think Andino is exposed when he plays more than three or so times a week.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » June 24th, 2012, 10:54 pm

Understand where everyone is coming from, but my concern is the sample size is so small, he would have needed 5 more hits vs LHP to be right in line with his career and 2011 number. Seems like a small number in a year of the pitcher.

Seems to me the bigger impact has been the return of Roberts. Andino's hit today was his first since Roberts was activated.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » June 24th, 2012, 11:07 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Understand where everyone is coming from, but my concern is the sample size is so small, he would have needed 5 more hits vs LHP to be right in line with his career and 2011 number. Seems like a small number in a year of the pitcher.

Seems to me the bigger impact has been the return of Roberts. Andino's hit today was his first since Roberts was activated.

I did think of this after posting, good point. I think he can rebound also.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #5 by dan72 » June 25th, 2012, 8:46 am

I see the numbers and I watch all of the games. His approach at the plate needs to change. He needs to see more pitches, not swing out of his shoes, and focus on making contact. Is it me or does it look like he is swinging for the fences all the time? He is not a power hitter yet he strikes out a ton. Seems like a good hitting coach could work on that with him provided he is coachable.
I think with more limited playing time we may actually see his numbers drop off even more.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » June 25th, 2012, 10:21 am

Yep, it was the approach. The heroics might have gotten into his head. He's dialed it back some, but the hits and opportunities are not coming right now. He had a good game yesterday that he needs to build on for confidence's sake.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » June 25th, 2012, 12:02 pm

Speaking of approach, his K/BB ratio indicates that it's been bad as well

In May/June:

15 BB /46 K
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #8 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 25th, 2012, 12:11 pm

It seems as though when he does get a good pitch to hit he's trying to jack one which is not his game. When he gets hittable pitches I would like to see him try to hit line drives up the middle or to right rather than trying to pull one into the stands.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #9 by osforlife » June 25th, 2012, 12:14 pm

Over the winter, I suggested that we sign Grady Sizemore to dh against righties and andino dh against lefties. He looked real good vs southpaws in 2011. Not sure what has happened this year, probably being exposed so much. He needs to make more contact. Hope Robert can turn it around.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » June 25th, 2012, 2:27 pm

I think Andino is very effective when he works the count and goes with the pitch. He's gotten away from that phase of his game IMHO 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #11 by Matt P » June 25th, 2012, 10:19 pm

He's just not an everyday player is all. He filled in nicely for Roberts for the most part. He'll be fine as the UTIL.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #12 by Tucker Blair » June 25th, 2012, 10:45 pm

Matt P wrote:He's just not an everyday player is all. He filled in nicely for Roberts for the most part. He'll be fine as the UTIL.

Sure seems like that. I think he could still provide some spark/defense at 3B and as a defensive guy in practically every position.

against LHP. No chance I even run him out there against RHP. He's never hit them well
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #13 by Don » June 26th, 2012, 7:57 am

You are asking someone to go from everyday player and into a 1/2/3 game a week guy. Repetitions and staying fresh are the only way that some players stay sharp.

There is a reason why pinch hitters that have little marginal everyday value are placed on contending clubs, because it is dam hard to be cold and still be an effective hitter. There are guys that can make a career out of being the 24/25 man on the totem pole, and Andino is having a tough time adjusting right now.

The big problem I have now is that he is a situational bench player, he needs to have the total skills package, AND THIS INCLUDES SMALL BALL. He can be an effective fielding replacement, can provide some speed on the bases, and could provide a spark with the bat when on his game. He is and will always be a poor bunter, still fathoms me how he never really developed those traits to maximize his athletic talents, but that is a question for another day.

I do feel that he provides enough skills to be a first option replacement on a contending club and has value on the Orioles right now. It would be great to see him get out of the funk, but it is a lot to ask Robert seeing how much he had to adjust. He could be the type that needs the All-Star break re-charge to really get back on track.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Baltimore Orioles