Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Reimold out for season?

Reimold out for season?

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » June 21st, 2012, 12:48 pm

Looking like his season may be over. Tough loss for sure. Other than Avery, does anybody see somone from the minors emerging to get a look in LF??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Reimold out for season?

PostPost #2 by BuckMagic » June 21st, 2012, 2:27 pm

Hoes could be a good option if he heats up! ;)
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by Matt P » June 21st, 2012, 9:21 pm

It just seems he has a curse on him to never become the full time LF. From injuries, to personal problems, to more injuries. I think its time to look at him as a DH going forward and try and fix LF long term.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by mikezpen » June 23rd, 2012, 5:30 am

At least they're making their decision on him early enough that he s/b ready to go at the start of next year.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by DougDE » June 23rd, 2012, 8:27 pm

Matt P wrote:It just seems he has a curse on him to never become the full time LF. From injuries, to personal problems, to more injuries. I think its time to look at him as a DH going forward and try and fix LF long term.

Yeah I dont think you can go into next year planning on him being your everyday left fielder. I dont know who will be available but I think you gotta bring someone in. And I certainly dont mean anyone near the low level of Endy Chavez
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by Matt P » June 23rd, 2012, 9:06 pm

DougDE wrote:
Matt P wrote:It just seems he has a curse on him to never become the full time LF. From injuries, to personal problems, to more injuries. I think its time to look at him as a DH going forward and try and fix LF long term.

Yeah I dont think you can go into next year planning on him being your everyday left fielder. I dont know who will be available but I think you gotta bring someone in. And I certainly dont mean anyone near the low level of Endy Chavez

Xavier Avery continued to slump once he was sent down to AAA but he has been heating up lately. Hopefully he can continue to play well and force the O's to bring him back up before September and he can force his way as the everyday LF next season. I'm not the biggest Avery fan in the world but I would not be upset if they didn't acquire a LF at the deadline and Avery forced their hand.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by osforlife » June 24th, 2012, 8:11 pm

Tough break for Reimold. He looked like he was on track to have a prime year. Not sure if i would inlcude him in next years plans.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #8 by ofahn » June 24th, 2012, 10:22 pm

osforlife wrote:Tough break for Reimold. He looked like he was on track to have a prime year. Not sure if i would inlcude him in next years plans.

I no longer see him as a player we can count on. I see him as a player that gets optioned to AAA next year and has to it his way onto the ML roster or is traded after he shows he is healthy.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » June 24th, 2012, 10:25 pm

ofahn wrote:
osforlife wrote:Tough break for Reimold. He looked like he was on track to have a prime year. Not sure if i would inlcude him in next years plans.

I no longer see him as a player we can count on. I see him as a player that gets optioned to AAA next year and has to it his way onto the ML roster or is traded after he shows he is healthy.

I agree with you on first part. I don't think he would get optioned though. If he is not hurt (obviously big IF) he is well superior than our other options.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #10 by ofahn » June 24th, 2012, 10:31 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I don't think he would get optioned though. If he is not hurt (obviously big IF) he is well superior than our other options.

First, I see him as a DH from this point on. Avery is a MUCH better defender. Second, I can see the O's looking for a hitter this winter that they can depend on in the DH role. That might be Soriano as the result of a trade this summer, but who knows what we would get from him next year so it would be good to have Reimold keeping his bat sharp by playing every day in Norfolk.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Tucker Blair » June 24th, 2012, 10:37 pm

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:I don't think he would get optioned though. If he is not hurt (obviously big IF) he is well superior than our other options.

First, I see him as a DH from this point on. Avery is a MUCH better defender. Second, I can see the O's looking for a hitter this winter that they can depend on in the DH role. That might be Soriano as the result of a trade this summer, but who knows what we would get from him next year so it would be good to have Reimold keeping his bat sharp by playing every day in Norfolk.

Defense in LF is really overrated in my opinion. Reimold's D there really doesn't matter that much to me. I agree he makes for a much better DH.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #12 by ofahn » June 24th, 2012, 10:50 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Defense in LF is really overrated in my opinion.

I'm a pitching and defense guy.. If I have to choose between a .750 OPS guy with strong defense or a Jose Canseco/Jeff Kent kind of guy I will always take the defense.

If we could find a better glove with a more consistent bat at 1B and an .850 or so OPS guy at DH I would feel good about our 3 through 7 hitters. Add high OBA with speed at the top and some inconsistent power at the bottom and you have a 5 run line up. Marry that to 1,000 innings from your starters and you have a playoff team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » June 25th, 2012, 2:35 pm

Hopefully the surgery goes well. I read somewhere where he thinks he could come back this season. We shall see 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by osforlife » June 28th, 2012, 9:43 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Hopefully the surgery goes well. I read somewhere where he thinks he could come back this season. We shall see 8-)

Where did you read this? Can you provide a link?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #15 by Matt P » June 29th, 2012, 1:21 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
ofahn wrote:

Defense in LF is really overrated in my opinion. Reimold's D there really doesn't matter that much to me. I agree he makes for a much better DH.

Defense at any position is underrated. A great OF defense turns many typical doubles or triples into outs or singles which helps out tremendously.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles