Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Duquette was asked about the trade deadline just now on MLBN

Duquette was asked about the trade deadline just now on MLBN

PostPost #1 by Matt P » June 22nd, 2012, 1:52 pm

He said they will be looking to upgrade pitching and they need a left handed bat. The two hitters I keep reading linked to the O's have been Soriano and Headley, but both are right handed hitters.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Duquette was asked about the trade deadline just now on MLBN

PostPost #2 by A_K » June 22nd, 2012, 4:56 pm

Headley's a switch hitter.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #3 by osforlife » June 22nd, 2012, 9:22 pm

If we are indeed buyers at the deadline, I believe the o's should be targeting good but not great players in order to keep the farm season somewhat in tact. The two players I've been looking into are Chase Headley and Joe Saunders. Solid but not fantastic players. Or I would be content with just staying put with what we have: to preserve the farm system for the long term future.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 22nd, 2012, 9:42 pm

Matt P wrote:He said they will be looking to upgrade pitching and they need a left handed bat. The two hitters I keep reading linked to the O's have been Soriano and Headley, but both are right handed hitters.

Where did you hear the Orioles linked to Headley??? I would LOVE that!!!

osforlife wrote:The two players I've been looking into are Chase Headley and Joe Saunders. Solid but not fantastic players. Or I would be content with just staying put with what we have: to preserve the farm system for the long term future.

Not a Saunders fan but I agree with what you are saying. I would greatly prefer giving up very little for Saunders over giving up something valuable for Garza or Dempster. At the very least Saunders would more SP depth which is NEVER a bad thing although I feel like the O's actually have plenty of 'Saunders esque' pitchers at AAA right now (Piniero, Moyer, M Gonzalez, etc.). Couldn't hurt if we got him on the cheap.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » June 22nd, 2012, 11:35 pm

Jeremy Guthrie. Make it happen.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by mikezpen » June 23rd, 2012, 5:29 am

I wouldn't want Guthrie. To often he pitches just bad enough to lose.
I'd rather go for Dempster than either he or Saunders if the price isn't too high.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » June 23rd, 2012, 9:01 am

Guthrie is what the back end of the rotation needs. A guy who can get innings, and keep the pen from being overworked. He does keep the team in games though as you said he also tends to be on the losing side of things. With no guarantees that Britton will have success and the other options are questionable though Tillman, Johnson and Gonzalez plus Moyer and Pinero maybe offer free help.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » June 24th, 2012, 8:32 am

Pass on Guthrie and Saunders. I would rather look at Tillman as the first option. Garza is going to be costly and I doubt we are giving up on Machado. We need a third baseman and I think he is going to be it next year 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Matt P » June 24th, 2012, 2:02 pm

With how bad the offense is I am starting to not even want a SP via trade. They need to get some hitters that now how to get on base more than anything.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #10 by dan72 » June 25th, 2012, 8:53 am

The Garza talks seem to have stalled. The Cubs want Machado and I don't blame the organization for not dealing him. I could still find use for Soriano, especially with the cubs willing to eat most of his salary to dump him. Guthrie is in my opinion an average MLB pitcher. He gives you quality starts, keeps you in games and seems to find a way to do just enough to lose. Issue with him also is that he is always facing the other teams ace. I think the Guthrie ship has sailed and we don't need to go down that road.
I would like to see a deal for a legit top of the rotation pitcher, we'll see what happens.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #11 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 25th, 2012, 12:05 pm

Matt P wrote:With how bad the offense is I am starting to not even want a SP via trade. They need to get some hitters that now how to get on base more than anything.

Chase Headley!!

dan72 wrote:The Garza talks seem to have stalled. The Cubs want Machado and I don't blame the organization for not dealing him.

The Cubs have lost their minds if they think Garza is going to bring them a prospect of Machado's caliber. Maybe their just trying to set the market for him but that is ludicrous.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by ofahn » June 25th, 2012, 1:00 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:The Cubs have lost their minds if they think Garza is going to bring them a prospect of Machado's caliber. Maybe their just trying to set the market for him but that is ludicrous.

I think the solution to our pitching problems may already be in our system.

ONE pitcher like Garza is not going fix three spots in the rotation. We need Arrieta and Matusz to become more consistent. If that happens THEN the fifth spot becomes critical and it might be filled by Britton or one of the veterans we have on the Norfolk roster.

I would use Tillman as trade bait for Headley. If the Padres still see him as a legitimate SP then adding another pitcher (Berken) and the 1M in cash we can send without getting approval from MLB MIGHT be enough for San Diego to bite. Can't hurt to ask.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #13 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 25th, 2012, 1:53 pm

ofahn wrote:
OriolesRedskins28 wrote:The Cubs have lost their minds if they think Garza is going to bring them a prospect of Machado's caliber. Maybe their just trying to set the market for him but that is ludicrous.

I think the solution to our pitching problems may already be in our system.

ONE pitcher like Garza is not going fix three spots in the rotation. We need Arrieta and Matusz to become more consistent. If that happens THEN the fifth spot becomes critical and it might be filled by Britton or one of the veterans we have on the Norfolk roster.

I would use Tillman as trade bait for Headley. If the Padres still see him as a legitimate SP then adding another pitcher (Berken) and the 1M in cash we can send without getting approval from MLB MIGHT be enough for San Diego to bite. Can't hurt to ask.

My opinion of Tillman differs greatly with yours but I would love that. I would take Headley for a package of Tillman and a couple other players + cash in a heartbeat.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by birdwatcher55 » June 25th, 2012, 2:22 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:
Matt P wrote:With how bad the offense is I am starting to not even want a SP via trade. They need to get some hitters that now how to get on base more than anything.

Chase Headley!!

dan72 wrote:The Garza talks seem to have stalled. The Cubs want Machado and I don't blame the organization for not dealing him.

I think they might have a shot, not at Machado but some other high end kid, because essentially if you get Garza you have him under control through 2013. I think you could get the Cubs' other pitcher at a cheaper rate and perhaps that is the guy we will target 8-)

The Cubs have lost their minds if they think Garza is going to bring them a prospect of Machado's caliber. Maybe their just trying to set the market for him but that is ludicrous.
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles