Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

If Moyer replaces Hunter, move Hunter to pen and get rid of Gregg

If Moyer replaces Hunter, move Hunter to pen and get rid of Gregg

PostPost #1 by BuckMagic » June 21st, 2012, 2:24 pm

It seems likely that Jamie Moyer will replace Tommy Hunter in the rotation shortly. If so I DONT think Hunter should be sent to Norfolk, but rather he should replace Gregg in the bullpen.

Among the O's relievers that started the eyar on the 25 man roster and haven't been hurt or sent down, Gregg has 13 less innings and 10 less appearances than any other reliever on the staff. Based on this and the fact that Gregg is only used in games where it's clear there is no chance the O's will win, it should be obvious that gregg needs to go.

He can't retire batters and gives up too many HRs.

On the other hand Hunter has a career 3.38 FIP as a reliever and 3.18 ERA.

In his first appearance for the Orioles he came out of the bullpen and hit 95 and 96 mph. I think he could be a REALLY REALLY solid reliever and someone that could be used in necessary situations unlike Gregg.

What say you guys?! :)
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: If Moyer replaces Hunter, move Hunter to pen and get rid of Gregg

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » June 21st, 2012, 2:27 pm

Well, it's honestly tough to argue with you.
I think the general consensus is that Gregg is not a useful option for a contending club. However, they do not want to call him a sunk cost yet.
I doubt they can move him, and they seemingly don't want to DFA him.

As to Hunter, I don't really know what the best option for him is right now. He's a tweener as a SP in the MLB. Maybe the Bullpen is the right move, but the potential of having a guy that can drain innings like him is very tempting.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by BuckMagic » June 21st, 2012, 2:41 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Well, it's honestly tough to argue with you honestly.
I think the general consensus is that Gregg is not a useful option for a contending club. However, they do not want to call him a sunk cost yet.
I doubt they can move him, and they seemingly don't want to DFA him.

As to Hunter, I don't really know what the best option for him is right now. He's a tweener as a SP in the MLB. Maybe the Bullpen is the right move, but the potential of having a guy that can drain innings like him is very tempting.

That's very true and why I like him in the pen. Then if we need some innings, just give him a start!!
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » June 21st, 2012, 6:20 pm

Those who talk of cutting Gregg talk my language. Beyond that, I wonder what the future of Steve Johnson will be?? Could he be our next closer with JJ moving to starter?? Your thoughts 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by osforlife » June 21st, 2012, 6:23 pm

Ooo, I like this idea! Wish I would have thought of it.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by osforlife » June 21st, 2012, 7:32 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Those who talk of cutting Gregg talk my language. Beyond that, I wonder what the future of Steve Johnson will be?? Could he be our next closer with JJ moving to starter?? Your thoughts 8-)

Who said Jim Johnson was be converting to a starter?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by dan72 » June 21st, 2012, 9:17 pm

It is highly unlikely that we FDA Gregg. Its hard for a team to pay a guy to fire him.
I agree that he has no place on our roster. he is blocking a better younger guy from coming up......Even when Buck uses him for mop up duty he manages to screw that up. Unfortunately because of his salary I think we are stuck with him.....I thank McFailure every day for that great signing.
dan72
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Matt P » June 21st, 2012, 9:24 pm

Hunter always looks good to start before running into trouble which leads me to believe he would be a very good reliever.

The problem is $$ though so although it would be an obvious solution it likely wont happen.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Return to Baltimore Orioles