Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What Should The Orioles Do With Jason Hammel?

What Should The Orioles Do With Jason Hammel?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » June 17th, 2012, 2:08 pm

Jason Hammel has pitched far better this year than anyone could have expected. At his age and experience level he should be at his peak performance level over the next three to four years. So, what should the Orioles do with him?

His proven ability to pitch in the AL East and the fact that he is under team control through next year would make him a very valuable trade chip. If the Orioles put him on the market before the trade deadline almost every contender would be interested. Do the Orioles trade him for a pile of prospects? Do they hold on to him until this winter and then trade him for one or two less prospects? Do they try to sign him to an extension and, if so, for how long?

The only way I would trade Hammel this season is if I was BLOWN AWAY by the return. If the Tigers offered RHP Jacob Turner and 3B Nick Castellanos along with another prospect or two I would make the trade regardless of how it would affect this season because it would add at least two long term critical pieces of our next playoff team.

If Hammel is still with the team this winter I would make an offer of four years for 50M with a reasonable vesting option for about 18M for a fifth year. If he turns that down I would trade him.

Regardless of how this plays out, what to do with Jason Hammel has become the kind of problem that the Orioles wish they had more of.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: What Should The Orioles Do With Jason Hammel?

PostPost #2 by Zach » June 17th, 2012, 5:03 pm

I think that it is a little too early to be talking about an extension. His numbers right now are abnormal when considering his entire career and we should give him an entire season to see if these are a fluke or the real deal.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #3 by ofahn » June 17th, 2012, 5:36 pm

Zach wrote:I think that it is a little too early to be talking about an extension. His numbers right now are abnormal when considering his entire career and we should give him an entire season to see if these are a fluke or the real deal.

That's exactly what I suggested.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Matt P » June 17th, 2012, 5:52 pm

3 year extension with a 4th year option.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by Zach » June 17th, 2012, 6:17 pm

I am not sure that we should even be talking about giving him a 4 year contract after this season. I am still not convinced that this season was not a fluke in which case regardless of how well this season goes, he would not be worth that size of a contract.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #6 by ofahn » June 17th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Zach wrote:he would not be worth that size of a contract

I agree, but that's the market rate.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » June 18th, 2012, 11:35 am

First of all, I would not deal him UNLESS we rapidly fall out of playoff contention between now and July 31. Trading him otherwise sends the wrong message to your clubhouse. Secondly, I would hold off on an extension until I see (a) how he finishes this year and (b) what he is looking for in contract demands 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by mikezpen » June 23rd, 2012, 5:32 am

Isn't he theirs thru next yr? If so, I'd wait to see how he does.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Rising O's » June 23rd, 2012, 8:54 am

Career year, improved even from his away splits during his time in Colorado. He has talent, it just appears he's not as good as he's pitching right now. 2nd half of the year will indicate if he's become a new man or is simply a #3 type.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #10 by ofahn » June 23rd, 2012, 10:06 am

Rising O's wrote:Career year, improved even from his away splits during his time in Colorado. He has talent, it just appears he's not as good as he's pitching right now. 2nd half of the year will indicate if he's become a new man or is simply a #3 type.

This type of breakthrough is not unusual for a pitcher at his age and experience level. He should be at his peak performance level over the next three to four years.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » June 26th, 2012, 12:38 pm

I believe we have club control on him through 2013.. Any more ex-Tampa starters floating around out there??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles