Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Buck Showalter -What has he brought to the table?

Buck Showalter -What has he brought to the table?

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » September 4th, 2010, 9:45 pm

While I can't deny that Buck Showalter has brought more wins to the Orioles, not one person can exactly put their finger on the reason why and how it has happened. Listening to players talk, it sounds like Buck is a great motivator and voice to hear in the clubhouse and dugout. Buck certainly knows baseball, showing through his interviews where his knowledge shines through along with big names in the baseball world coming out to the media about how brilliant he is.

Terry Crowley is still the hitting coach, and Rick Kranitz is still the pitching coach. Not like Buck is giving out hitting or pitching lessons to each and every guy. While he must be throwing around tips and hints, the personnel is basically the same behind him. Yet the players seem to be playing 110% better. Yes, there are nights when the hitting is not there or that a starter doesn't last, but that happens on all teams, even the top tier ones. But much more do we see quality starts and consistent hitting than with Trembley or Samuel.

Key Question: How has Buck's presence as manager truly helped this team win and play better?
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Buck Showalter -What has he brought to the table?

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 4th, 2010, 10:19 pm

2131andBeyond wrote:Key Question: How has Buck's presence as manager truly helped this team win and play better?

I believe a lot of these guys feel pressure to preform and know they are fighting for their jobs next season. Buck is known as a guy that will throw players out the door if he doesn't like them -- for whatever reason, even if it isn't a good one.

The pitching has been unbelievable since he took over, that I have no explanation for. Guthrie's velocity has been up to the upper 90's (he hit 97 tonight), Bergesen has touched 93, 94 and I've never seen that from them.

Showalter has established himself as the guy we need. We've been waiting for someone to make this kind of impact.

Now I'm waiting for a player to step up and establish himself as the leader on the field. Who will it be? I'll say Adam Jones. I think he was the first one to realize that Showalter could turn this team into something special (only Oriole to attend Showalter's opening press conference).
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by BuckMagic » September 6th, 2010, 11:45 am

He's brought Buck Magic!

In all seriousness, if you watch his press conferences it's easy to see what he's done. He wants the players to do what it takes to win. He doesn't want them to be selfish, he wants them to play as a team and do whatever it takes to make the Baltimore Orioles winners.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by 2131andBeyond » September 6th, 2010, 11:37 pm

Jordan wrote:
2131andBeyond wrote:Key Question: How has Buck's presence as manager truly helped this team win and play better?

I believe a lot of these guys feel pressure to preform and know they are fighting for their jobs next season. Buck is known as a guy that will throw players out the door if he doesn't like them -- for whatever reason, even if it isn't a good one.

The pitching has been unbelievable since he took over, that I have no explanation for. Guthrie's velocity has been up to the upper 90's (he hit 97 tonight), Bergesen has touched 93, 94 and I've never seen that from them.

Showalter has established himself as the guy we need. We've been waiting for someone to make this kind of impact.

Now I'm waiting for a player to step up and establish himself as the leader on the field. Who will it be? I'll say Adam Jones. I think he was the first one to realize that Showalter could turn this team into something special (only Oriole to attend Showalter's opening press conference).

The pressure is nice, but we will have to see next season once the pressure's off and he's in place as manager for good, which guys may not have been hit with yet in their minds.

Guthrie must be very happy. People look at Markakis as the franchise guy who has had to put up with the losing for so long, Roberts too. But Guthrie has been here for a few years of it now, and is probably happy to see his pitching pay off. His workouts and all are intense, seeing as he is one of the most fit guys on the team, and he has a ton more motivation now to go out there and own it.

I hope Jones could come through in that role. As long as he signs this off season. They need to see how much talent he has, and know that Buck can eventually and hopefully capitalize on it, and give him the money. He loves it here in Baltimore, so we need to treat him well and keep him here.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by 2131andBeyond » September 6th, 2010, 11:40 pm

BuckMagic wrote:He's brought Buck Magic!

In all seriousness, if you watch his press conferences it's easy to see what he's done. He wants the players to do what it takes to win. He doesn't want them to be selfish, he wants them to play as a team and do whatever it takes to make the Baltimore Orioles winners.

What I'm impressed with that I hear through his postgame talks is how he seems to be able to evaluate this team completely, while doing everything to win. When asked why some decisions are made, he makes it clear that even at this point, the goal is to win.

This is as opposed to Trembley, who used to basically give up and try different things for the heck of trying it. Buck is able to try lots of things, yet still make the best moves to continue winning. And that is key, in my opinion.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by BuckMagic » September 7th, 2010, 10:48 pm

2131andBeyond wrote:What I'm impressed with that I hear through his postgame talks is how he seems to be able to evaluate this team completely, while doing everything to win. When asked why some decisions are made, he makes it clear that even at this point, the goal is to win.

This is as opposed to Trembley, who used to basically give up and try different things for the heck of trying it. Buck is able to try lots of things, yet still make the best moves to continue winning. And that is key, in my opinion.

And that's exactly what the Orioles want him to do. He needs control of almost everything and he should have as much power/authority at MacPhail.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by 2131andBeyond » September 8th, 2010, 12:28 am

BuckMagic wrote:
2131andBeyond wrote:What I'm impressed with that I hear through his postgame talks is how he seems to be able to evaluate this team completely, while doing everything to win. When asked why some decisions are made, he makes it clear that even at this point, the goal is to win.

And that's exactly what the Orioles want him to do. He needs control of almost everything and he should have as much power/authority at MacPhail.

And the fact that he is able to do all that while putting up more Ws than the Orioles have consistently gotten in over a decade is just remarkable.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by DougDE » September 11th, 2010, 4:06 am

I dont think they should be giving Jones an extension yet. His defense has regressed and he still cant lay off a breaking ball in the dirt. You shouldnt give a player a long term contract if you still "need to see how much talent he has" and hoping he can "capitalize on it". He still has 3 years left under team control I believe so he needs to have a strong year next year to even be considered for an extension in my opinion
DougDE
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Traveldawg69 » September 11th, 2010, 10:35 pm

From a fan perspective, he will get me to the games again. Although I watch every game I can on MASN, I usually will take my boys to 3 or 4 games a year and I would go to an additional 4 or 5 games while in Baltimore. After one game this year and such a dismal showing pre-Buck, my kids just didn't want to go to a game. They just felt there was such a little chance of winning the game. Now, we are itching to go to games and we are fighting to get to the tv as the game starts. We are excited to be O's fans again.
Traveldawg69
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by DougDE » September 11th, 2010, 10:37 pm

Traveldawg69 wrote:From a fan perspective, he will get me to the games again. Although I watch every game I can on MASN, I usually will take my boys to 3 or 4 games a year and I would go to an additional 4 or 5 games while in Baltimore. After one game this year and such a dismal showing pre-Buck, my kids just didn't want to go to a game. They just felt there was such a little chance of winning the game. Now, we are itching to go to games and we are fighting to get to the tv as the game starts. We are excited to be O's fans again.

Same here. I actually went to the game last Saturday night which was my first Sept. game in years.
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles