Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Trade LHP Cole McCurry To Atlanta

Orioles Trade LHP Cole McCurry To Atlanta

PostPost #1 by ofahn » June 16th, 2012, 11:38 am

June 16, 2012 9:38 AM by Steve Melewski

The Orioles have traded minor league left-handed pitcher Cole McCurry to the Atlanta Braves for cash. McCurry had been with the Orioles since they drafted him in round 43 of 2007.

The trade was culminated late last night and came about for two main reasons. One reason is that the Braves have had interest in McCurry before, and two, the Orioles have a roster crunch with too many pitchers for too few spots right now at Triple-A.

They recently added Jamie Moyer and Rich Rundles to that Norfolk staff, and Joel Piniero and Dontrelle Willis could soon be joining that staff as well.

This season, McCurry was 0-7 with an ERA of 6.10, pitching mostly at Double-A Bowie, but he moved to Triple-A on June 5. Four days later, he was added officially to the short-season Single-A Aberdeen roster and had not been active at Triple-A since then.

Coming into this season, the 26-year-old McCurry, who was 5-3 with a 4.15 ERA at Norfolk last year, had gone 38-33 with an ERA of 3.44 in his O's minor league career in 139 games, making 76 starts.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewsk ... lanta.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Trade LHP Cole McCurry To Atlanta

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » June 16th, 2012, 12:55 pm

I think this shows a good prblem we are starting to see for the first time in a long time from this organization. McCurry wasn't moved because the O's decided he couldn't play (despite his stats this season), nor was he moved as part of a deal for some back up catcher who hasn't put on a uniform yet or some closer who can't close games. He was moved because we basically ran out of spots on the minor league rosters.

Much like the recent demotions of Jai Miller, Steve Bumbry, Michael Rooney and release of Kyle Hoppy, we simply had people who were better prepared to contribute to the club.

I'll say again that I think DD has done an exceptional job of adding AAAA talent which has given us the opportunity to handle injuries better at the major league level, and allowed prospects to remain at current levels rather than seeing them pushed to far too soon.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by ofahn » June 16th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I think this shows a good prblem we are starting to see for the first time in a long time from this organization. McCurry wasn't moved because the O's decided he couldn't play (despite his stats this season), nor was he moved as part of a deal for some back up catcher who hasn't put on a uniform yet or some closer who can't close games. He was moved because we basically ran out of spots on the minor league rosters.

Much like the recent demotions of Jai Miller, Steve Bumbry, Michael Rooney and release of Kyle Hoppy, we simply had people who were better prepared to contribute to the club.

I'll say again that I think DD has done an exceptional job of adding AAAA talent which has given us the opportunity to handle injuries better at the major league level, and allowed prospects to remain at current levels rather than seeing them pushed to far too soon.

Those were pretty much my thoughts too. I think we're going to see more releases in the farm system as the draft picks report to their teams.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » June 17th, 2012, 11:49 am

A little curious move. But They have people that made him "expendable", if you want to use that word.

Belfiore took over his spot in the pen and he wasn't really going to stick as a starter from the looks of it.
Also with the moves you guys talked about above, it's not too surprising.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #5 by ofahn » June 17th, 2012, 12:06 pm

The Orioles have also released Justin Moore. DD is sending a clear message to the farm system - If your performance is below average for your age and level then your roster position is not guaranteed.

IMO, it's about time
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » June 17th, 2012, 12:08 pm

ofahn wrote:The Orioles have also released Justin Moore. DD is sending a clear message to the farm system - If your performance is below average for your age and level then your roster position is not guaranteed.

IMO, it's about time

yea you could see that one coming from a mile away. Tough break for Justin, but he was not performing at all.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #7 by Shorebirdfan » June 17th, 2012, 8:23 pm

Guess it raises the obvious question who is next?

Delmarva just added 2 bullpen arms (Matt Bischoff and Eric Beaulac) who are both new to the organization and are 25 years old. I can't see players like that lasting long unless they excel quickly and are ready to move up.

Again though this appeears to be another move by DD to allow the new draft signees to progress properly.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Return to Minor Leagues