Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

6/15/12 BAYSOX GAME

6/15/12 BAYSOX GAME

PostPost #1 by osforlife » June 15th, 2012, 9:40 pm

I attended Bowie's game on Friday, June 15th. I had to leave after the 7th inning but I wrote down some notes on a notepad. The Baysox won the game 9-4 against the New Hampshire Fisher Cats to extend their winning streak to 8 games and improve their record to 31-34. I’ll post my notes here.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: 6/15/12 BAYSOX GAME

PostPost #2 by osforlife » June 15th, 2012, 9:41 pm

Here’s Machado's recap:
The Baysox scored 4 runs in the first that included Manny Machado lining a 2 RBI single down the right field line. In the second, Manny made a diving play that most shortstops wouldn't have gotten to. He tried to flip to second but the ball got caught up in his body (couldn't quite make out what exactly happened) while he was on his rear. It went as a hit. In the next inning (pretty sure) there was a pop-up bloop over second base with a runner on first that Machado almost got to. It fell in but Machado slickly picked it up and threw it to Schoop who was covering second for a heads up out. Next inning, a chopper was hit to Manny. He charged it and released it in the blink of an eye to get the runner by a mile. In his second at-bat, he hit a hard two hopper down the third baseline that Mark Soboleski made a nice back-handed play to get Manny by a few steps. A soft ground ball was hit to Schoop in the 4th. He darted it to Machado and he threw it to first. But throw was short and just got away from Waring. The runner going to second did slide to try and break it up and did a pretty good job. Machado was off-balanced. The play was not routine. Machado swung and missed at a curve in the dirt in his third at-bat. I did not get to see Manny's last at-bat but apparently he singled to right fielder Kenen Bailli again.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by osforlife » June 15th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Here’s Schoop's recap:
Schoop went 0 for 5. His at-bats when like this: flyout to center, pop-up to catcher, 6-4-3 double play, 1-3 groundout, strikeout swinging. He was out in front and flayed at all the off-speed pitches thrown at him. After the groundball that was hit to him that resulted in a fielder’s choice in the 4th, his relay to Machado was rather slow. I was not impressed by his performance tonight.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by osforlife » June 15th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Other notes:
Zelous Wheeler made a classic ESPN TOP TEN play in the 5th when he laid out across the third base line, got up, and gunned the runner. He is large but athletic.
Did you guys know Antoan Richardson chokes up on his bat a good 4 inches? It looks pretty ridiculous but he seems to get the bat-head to the ball pretty good. He ripped two line drives to center. He stole two bases…he flies down the basepaths. Antoan is batting .314, why isn’t he in AAA?
Kyler Newby finished the 6th inning and completed the 7th inning. He must be a really soft thrower. He threw many off-speed pitches and didn’t throw one fastball above 87mph.
Sean Gleason started tonight. He has a live fastball but his breaking ball was flat. He fooled very few hitters and I did not recognize a third pitch. For this reason, I believe he is better suited for the bullpen.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by dan72 » June 15th, 2012, 10:04 pm

great recap.... I'm concerned about Schoop's struggles at the plate. I hope he is able to turn things around soon.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 16th, 2012, 2:47 am

Thank you, I enjoyed your notes.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » June 16th, 2012, 12:16 pm

dan72 wrote:great recap.... I'm concerned about Schoop's struggles at the plate. I hope he is able to turn things around soon.

While he's not really playing well, just remember he is around 2-3years younger than some in this league. He could easily be at Delmarva with his own age group right now (Delmonico, Lino, etc). That alone is a major plus.

Good insight though. I'm telling you, when seeing Machado play SS in person, it makes you really excited. He has all the tools to be productive at the position in my opinion.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Return to Minor Leagues