Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Could the Orioles have 3 All Stars this season?

Could the Orioles have 3 All Stars this season?

PostPost #1 by Matt P » June 13th, 2012, 9:34 am

I know it's still a little under a month away but it could be possible that the O's send three players to Kansas City this year. I don't think it is likely but it's been awhile since we were able to even have this conversation.

Adam Jones is a lock unless he completely falls off a cliff. He is actually in the running to be a starting OF (go vote if you haven't already because he can still make it in). He is the best player on the team and is the face of the franchise.

Jim Johnson looks like he has a very good chance at making the team. He is currently 2nd in saves with 19, has the 2nd lowest ERA amongst AL closers with at least 15 saves, and has a WHIP of 0.70. If he keeps it up he could have a very good shot at making the team.

After those 2 I think Jason Hammel has a slim chance to make the team as well. He is currently 11th in ERA and is 6-2. I know W/L shouldn't matter but it always does for the All Star Game. If he can string together 2 or 3 dominant outings and get his ERA under 3 and win 2 or 3 games he could have a good chance at making it if the team is still in 1st or 2nd place.

Maybe even Chris Davis can sneak in if he keeps hitting. His hopes are even slimmer than Hammel's but you never know. Amongst AL 1B he is 3rd in average, 3rd in OPS, and tied for 2nd in HR. Amongst DH he would be 3rd in HR, tied for 1st in average, 4th in OPS, and 4th in HR.

I think they will likely send Adam Jones and Jim Johnson but if Hammel or Davis goes on a tear they may be able to sneak in.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Could the Orioles have 3 All Stars this season?

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » June 13th, 2012, 9:38 am

I wouldn't be shocked to see Matt Wieters or JJ Hardy make it either.

Both C and SS are fairly weak this season and both could make it with a surge from here until now.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by Matt P » June 13th, 2012, 10:22 am

The only stats Hardy is top 3 in amongst SS is HR (1st) and RBI (2nd). I think he would really have to go on a tear to get selected. Wieters isn't top 3 in any stats this year and has 7 errors, I don't think he has any chance.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by osforlife » June 13th, 2012, 11:10 am

Robert Andino is 4th in votes for second basemen. Not sure why unless people are still craving last year's walkoff against Papelbon. His OBP is under .300, his OPS is worst among qualifyers, and his slugging percentage is second worst. Second base has been a pretty crummy postition this year, but I would still pick Cano, Kipnis, Kinsler, Pedroia, and K. Johnson over Andino. Maybe even Kendrick and Ackley. Matt Wieters is third and voting and hasn't had a very good year under our standards but actually ranks up there with the best catchers in the league in many stats. I don't expect him to make the team but by the end of the year he'll be at the top of some of these offensive stats. He did go through that 3 for 42 slump. Davis has been a pleasant suprise. Hammel possibly. He needs to put together some dominant starts like you said. No love for Chen?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by dan72 » June 13th, 2012, 5:32 pm

Jones is the only position player deserving of an all star vote...

I think Jim Johnson should be selected by the manager.
thats my two cents.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by Matt P » June 13th, 2012, 6:13 pm

osforlife wrote:Robert Andino is 4th in votes for second basemen. Not sure why unless people are still craving last year's walkoff against Papelbon. His OBP is under .300, his OPS is worst among qualifyers, and his slugging percentage is second worst. Second base has been a pretty crummy postition this year, but I would still pick Cano, Kipnis, Kinsler, Pedroia, and K. Johnson over Andino. Maybe even Kendrick and Ackley. Matt Wieters is third and voting and hasn't had a very good year under our standards but actually ranks up there with the best catchers in the league in many stats. I don't expect him to make the team but by the end of the year he'll be at the top of some of these offensive stats. He did go through that 3 for 42 slump. Davis has been a pleasant suprise. Hammel possibly. He needs to put together some dominant starts like you said. No love for Chen?

Wieters isn't top 3 in any offensive category that is generally looked at by the public.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by CSPitt17130 » June 13th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Matt P wrote:Wieters isn't top 3 in any offensive category that is generally looked at by the public.

He's tied for third in homeruns for AL catchers behind Pierzynski and Napoli who both have 11. Wieters isn't going to win the vote, so if he makes it, it'll be because Ron Washington selects him and he did last year.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #8 by Matt P » June 13th, 2012, 6:40 pm

CSPitt17130 wrote:
Matt P wrote:Wieters isn't top 3 in any offensive category that is generally looked at by the public.

He's tied for third in homeruns for AL catchers behind Pierzynski and Napoli who both have 11. Wieters isn't going to win the vote, so if he makes it, it'll be because Ron Washington selects him and he did last year.

Napoli, Pierzynski, and Saltalamacchia all have 11 HR. Wieters and Arencibia both have 9 HR leaving them tied for 4th.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by CSPitt17130 » June 13th, 2012, 7:41 pm

Matt P wrote:Napoli, Pierzynski, and Saltalamacchia all have 11 HR. Wieters and Arencibia both have 9 HR leaving them tied for 4th.

Ahh, I guess Salty doesn't have enough innings behind the plate to qualify as a catcher so I missed him.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » June 13th, 2012, 9:22 pm

Someone brought this up on Twitter. Don't be surprised to see Chris Davis there since Ron Washington is the manager.

He's actually having a good season, and Ron knows him obviously.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #11 by CSPitt17130 » June 13th, 2012, 11:07 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Someone brought this up on Twitter. Don't be surprised to see Chris Davis there since Ron Washington is the manager.

I don't see it. 1B in the AL is way too deep. I don't think any Oriole makes it by fan vote, and I think Jones has done too much to be left off the team so Davis won't make it as the mandatory Oriole.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Tucker Blair » June 14th, 2012, 12:09 am

CSPitt17130 wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:Someone brought this up on Twitter. Don't be surprised to see Chris Davis there since Ron Washington is the manager.

I don't see it. 1B in the AL is way too deep. I don't think any Oriole makes it by fan vote, and I think Jones has done too much to be left off the team so Davis won't make it as the mandatory Oriole.

is it though? He has a better OPS than Pujols, Teixiera, and Agon currently.

A few of the guys above him are Dunn, Edwin Encarnacion, and Konerko (whom is simply amazing at this stage in his career). And then Prince Fielder.

So if it came down to Ron Washington picking between one or two of those guys, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get selected.

Don't mistake me for thinking he should be picked though. I really don't think he is a true all-star. Playing well, but not there.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #13 by Matt P » June 17th, 2012, 12:59 am

Don't count Hammell out just yet. His ERA is now 6th in the league.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by osforlife » June 17th, 2012, 4:21 pm

One can only guess who would be on it by mid July, but if I had to choose who would go the all-star game right now, I'd pick Jones, Johnson, Hammel. Davis is hard to resist too.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #15 by Shorebirdfan » June 17th, 2012, 8:27 pm

I think Jones and Johnson should be locks at this point. That would leave the club eeding just one of Hammel, Davis, Chen, Wieters or Hardy.

A hot streak by one or more or a more deserving player being scratched and who knows.

Bottom line it is a nice problem to be talking about rather than wondering which .250 hitter is going to be our required rep.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles