Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Chavez possibly to DL

Chavez possibly to DL

PostPost #1 by osforlife » June 12th, 2012, 10:39 pm

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... 6-win.html
Buck does not know the level of this injury but I'am sure we'll find out tomorrow. Who would you guys bring up to fill Endy's roster spot? I'd say Lew Ford.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Chavez possibly to DL

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » June 12th, 2012, 10:43 pm

I'd bring Tolleson right back. For one, it's the easiest move from a business standpoint. He will not need to stay down for 10 days. Not sure if the option is still counted. but that's irrelevant i guess.

Avery needs to play every day. Lew Ford is on fire, but he's 35. Bill Hall is the other option I guess.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by A_K » June 12th, 2012, 11:55 pm

Personally I'd like to see Xavier Avery come back, but it seems they really want him to have more time at AAA. My next choice would be Tolleson, with Flaherty and Andino getting most of the outfield starts and Tolleson filling in as an infield reserve. I'd be fine with Lew Ford I guess too. He's old and not very good, but if they're going to fill Norfolk's roster with old, bad players, this is the time to promote them.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #4 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 12th, 2012, 11:57 pm

Avery hasn't really hit well since returning to AAA I would prefer he spend more time there to develop. These injuries are starting to get out of hand... You could always work Andino and Betemit in the rotation in LF.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by CSPitt17130 » June 13th, 2012, 7:10 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Avery hasn't really hit well since returning to AAA I would prefer he spend more time there to develop. These injuries are starting to get out of hand... You could always work Andino and Betemit in the rotation in LF.

Andino doesn't hit enough to play 2B; there's no way you put him in LF. McLouth and Ford are options, but the 40-man roster may make it Avery or Tolleson.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by Matt P » June 13th, 2012, 9:15 am

Avery hasn't been hitting well but has been drawing some walks and is on the 40 man.
Tolleson I think is the most likely since Buck seems to really like him and he can play almost anywhere.
Lew Ford would be an interesting call up. He's hitting the cover off the ball and maybe the O's could get lucky and he can stay hot for a week or two while in Baltimore. The 40 man roster is a problem but the O's seem to have no interest in Ryan Adams as a member of the Orioles now or in the future so I don't think it would be a big deal to DFA him.
McLouth hasn't done anything to warrant a call up.

I would call up Lew Ford and hope to catch lightning in a bottle. I think it will be Tolleson though.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » June 13th, 2012, 9:37 am

Matt P wrote:Avery hasn't been hitting well but has been drawing some walks and is on the 40 man.
Tolleson I think is the most likely since Buck seems to really like him and he can play almost anywhere.
Lew Ford would be an interesting call up. He's hitting the cover off the ball and maybe the O's could get lucky and he can stay hot for a week or two while in Baltimore. The 40 man roster is a problem but the O's seem to have no interest in Ryan Adams as a member of the Orioles now or in the future so I don't think it would be a big deal to DFA him.
McLouth hasn't done anything to warrant a call up.

I would call up Lew Ford and hope to catch lightning in a bottle. I think it will be Tolleson though.

yea I'm not quite sure what they are doing with Ryan Adams. He's now even losing playing time to players such as Blake Davis at AAA.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #8 by Rising O's » June 13th, 2012, 11:36 am

That we're once again discussing Ford or Hall as a replacement shows how much failure there has been in the player development process.

But, the real answer is Joe Mahoney. He can play some in left, 1B, DH. A hot June and he looks like he's ready.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » June 13th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Lew Ford??? LOL!! .. I find it fascinating how fans fall in love with AAAA types and never seem to give it up LOL :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » June 13th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Bring up Tolleson and give him the 3B job. I thought it was ludicrous to send him down after his great game on Sunday 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #11 by Shorebirdfan » June 13th, 2012, 6:01 pm

Rising O's wrote:That we're once again discussing Ford or Hall as a replacement shows how much failure there has been in the player development process.

I think this is one of the things that DD has done a great job of overcoming. At first I didn't agree with many of the moves he made, but the addition of former major leaguers like Ford, McLouth, Tejada, Moyer, etc has at least allowed us to slow down the parade of minor leaguers to the majors. Sure X came up for a short time, but in the long run, I think these moves will pay off for the future.

Although I'd love to see Mahoney come up and hit some, but for now I'd prefer we bring Tolleson back.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #12 by Shorebirdfan » June 13th, 2012, 6:06 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:yea I'm not quite sure what they are doing with Ryan Adams. He's now even losing playing time to players such as Blake Davis at AAA.

Ryan was placed on the DL on 5/13/12 with a broken right thumb.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #13 by Matt P » June 13th, 2012, 6:15 pm

Rising O's wrote:That we're once again discussing Ford or Hall as a replacement shows how much failure there has been in the player development process.

But, the real answer is Joe Mahoney. He can play some in left, 1B, DH. A hot June and he looks like he's ready.

Lew Ford is hitting like .370 why would he not be an option? No one is saying he is an everyday starter or would even stay in the big leagues for an extended period of time. The only reason most people would want him called up is to try and catch lightning in a bottle and see if he can't stay hot for a few weeks in Baltimore.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #14 by CSPitt17130 » June 13th, 2012, 6:24 pm

Matt P wrote:Lew Ford is hitting like .370 why would he not be an option? No one is saying he is an everyday starter or would even stay in the big leagues for an extended period of time. The only reason most people would want him called up is to try and catch lightning in a bottle and see if he can't stay hot for a few weeks in Baltimore.

The best reason not to bring up Lew Ford is that he's not on the 40-man roster. Chavez is apparently day-to-day so this may be a moot discussion.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #15 by Rising O's » June 13th, 2012, 10:55 pm

Yep, to drop someone off the 40 man for Ford would be an awful decision. Mahoney is at the age where he should get a taste.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles