Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

A chance to see Gausman in action

A chance to see Gausman in action

PostPost #1 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 7th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Tomorrow at noon on ESPN 2 LSU will be facing Stony Brook. Gausman will be on the mound for the Tigers and it will be a great chance to see the O's top pick in action.

I'm a little bit torn on whether I want to see LSU win it all or get knocked out early. It would be great to see Gausman pitch in high pressure games and emerge as a winner and a champion but do we really want to see him ratcheting up the high pitch counts the he will surely be throwing in these must win games? From my understanding, college pitchers (especially the best ones) are left out there to throw a ton of pitches in big games like these ones so I would almost prefer the Tigers get knocked out early to prevent Gausman's young arm from undergoing even the slightest abuse. I hope he wins his game and LSU loses the next 2 to lose the series. Anyone else agree?
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: A chance to see Gausman in action

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » June 7th, 2012, 4:34 pm

Thanks for posting this.
I had completely forgotten!

I hope LSU gets knocked out early :lol:
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by ofahn » June 7th, 2012, 5:06 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Tomorrow at noon on ESPN 2 LSU will be facing Stony Brook. Gausman will be on the mound for the Tigers and it will be a great chance to see the O's top pick in action.

I'm a little bit torn on whether I want to see LSU win it all or get knocked out early. It would be great to see Gausman pitch in high pressure games and emerge as a winner and a champion but do we really want to see him ratcheting up the high pitch counts the he will surely be throwing in these must win games? From my understanding, college pitchers (especially the best ones) are left out there to throw a ton of pitches in big games like these ones so I would almost prefer the Tigers get knocked out early to prevent Gausman's young arm from undergoing even the slightest abuse. I hope he wins his game and LSU loses the next 2 to lose the series. Anyone else agree?

Forgive me, but I was thinking the same thing.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Don » June 7th, 2012, 7:06 pm

The Tigers have a wealth of talented arms and their coach does not destroy arms with high pitch counts. He has the strength to go 100 to 110 per outing without looking high effort. He will not be going 150 in a outing, so do not worry.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by osforlife » June 7th, 2012, 9:14 pm

I'll be in middle school haha. If only I knew how to record a program on Comcast...
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 7th, 2012, 10:17 pm

Don wrote:The Tigers have a wealth of talented arms and their coach does not destroy arms with high pitch counts. He has the strength to go 100 to 110 per outing without looking high effort. He will not be going 150 in a outing, so do not worry.

Good to hear. Thanks for that.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Matt P » June 8th, 2012, 11:11 am

They have a freshman pitching. He must he pitching tomorrow.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #8 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 9th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Gausman's line in LSU's 3-1 loss to Stony Brook:

Pitchers IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA
K Gausman (L, 12-2) 7.0 6 3 3 1 6 1 98-58 2.77

Disappointed he took the loss but not a bad outing for Gausman against a great offensive team in Stony Brook. Best news of the day was the pitch count. Only 98 pitches is a relief for me.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by CSPitt17130 » June 9th, 2012, 3:16 pm

Unfortunately, Gausman started the suspended game at 11 AM this morning before the break between games and then started the second game as well. He only threw 12 pitches in one inning, but getting up, cooling off during the break, and then getting back up to start the second game probably wasn't the best situation for his arm. That's puts his pitch count at 110 with a giant break in the middle. Probably worse than what anyone would have expected in terms of overuse.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #10 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 9th, 2012, 8:44 pm

CSPitt17130 wrote:Unfortunately, Gausman started the suspended game at 11 AM this morning before the break between games and then started the second game as well. He only threw 12 pitches in one inning, but getting up, cooling off during the break, and then getting back up to start the second game probably wasn't the best situation for his arm. That's puts his pitch count at 110 with a giant break in the middle. Probably worse than what anyone would have expected in terms of overuse.

Damn it! It was too good to be true... I didn't watch but they said the second game would begin 50 minutes after the first ended so that is indeed quite a long break between innings, not to mention the added time of the inning LSU had on offense in the first game.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Return to MLB Draft