Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles to trade for SS J.J. Hardy?

Orioles to trade for SS J.J. Hardy?

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » December 8th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Dan Connolly of The Baltimore Sun posted on Twitter:
#Orioles are in serious negotiations w #Twins for JJ Hardy. Looks like two minor league Ps to including Brett Jacobson, says Jeff Z

What do you think of that? Hardy is an offensive upgrade from Izturis, and the prospects going to Minnesota don't seem to be as high in potential as Nolan Reimold (who was the trade chip in a supposed deal for Jason Bartlett).

Would this trade benefit the Orioles in your opinion?
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Orioles to trade for SS J.J. Hardy?

PostPost #2 by nickneagle » December 8th, 2010, 2:24 pm

I say as long as the Orioles dont give up too much, then I am ok with it. I just worry they will give up too much pitching which we are already hurting bad for.
nickneagle
DSL Orioles

PostPost #3 by Don » December 8th, 2010, 2:44 pm

The Twins are hard on Choyne Spoone and Brett Jacobson. More than willing to do this deal for two future relief pitchers. These are the types of packages teams should be asking wiht dealing with non-tendered types.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by CamdenRevival » December 8th, 2010, 4:08 pm

Totally agree with Don. Twins aren't going to keep Hardy, so they should be happy to get anything useful and drop Hardy's salary. Two 2nd-tier prospects in an area where the Orioles are deep (young pitching) is fair for both sides. Meanwhile, gotta love the deal for the Orioles. The downside is low (one-year rental). Even if Hardy hits like Atkins, it's at SS and we're used to not seeing any power from there since Miggy's first stint. But the upside (Hardy reverts to his early Milwaukee form) could give them a legitimate SS to hold down the fort til Machado is ready in 2014. Personally, I think he's young enough to rebound.

If the Orioles get Hardy and they stay healthy, he new left side of the infield could hit 50 HRs. Wow.
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Lucky Jim » December 8th, 2010, 5:04 pm

This has been one of my big "gets" for the offseason. It seems to me that AM played Tampa to pressure Minnesota and get his preferred player: w/ Hardy's defense (very good by UZR and good by Fielding Bible) we don't need him to hit like he did in 2007-2008. Of course, if he did he would be one of the best pick-ups by the O's in a long, long time.

I want this more than pretty much any other transaction this offseason.

Reynolds
Hardy
Koji
Lee/Laroche/Ordonez

That's a lot of new production. A lot.
Lucky Jim
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 8th, 2010, 7:16 pm

With Bartlett gone it's looking more and more like this deal for Hardy is going to get done.

Don wrote:The Twins are hard on Chorye Spoone and Brett Jacobson. More than willing to do this deal for two future relief pitchers. These are the types of packages teams should be asking with dealing with non-tendered types.

Agreed. I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #7 by Shorebirdfan » December 8th, 2010, 10:31 pm

Put another vote in the yes column for this one. I think Hardy is a good upgrade compared to where we are now not to mention the price sounds right.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 9th, 2010, 1:03 am

http://twitter.com/#!/danconnollysun/st ... 9371852800

#Orioles potential trade for J.J. Hardy and Bendan Harris could be announced Thursday. #Twins likely would receive 2 Ps, maybe Hoey & Jacobson

O's shouldn't hesitate.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #9 by Tenth Inning » December 9th, 2010, 1:27 am

Looks like it's completed pending physicals. Seems as if the O's took on Harris' 1.75 MM salary to avoid sending established bullpen pieces.

Really excellent deal. Hardy is a potential 4 win shortstop when healthy. I'd be looking into an extension immediately. He'd be a perfect bridge to Machado.

Lucky Jim should be happy :)
Tenth Inning
Senior Editor & Columnist
Orioles Nation Staff
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles