Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles sign Jamie Moyer to minor league contract

Orioles sign Jamie Moyer to minor league contract

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 6th, 2012, 4:14 pm

The Orioles have agreed to terms with LHP Jamie Moyer on a minor league contract. He is scheduled to start Saturday at Buffalo.

https://twitter.com/Orioles_Nation/stat ... 3932321793
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles sign Jamie Moyer to minor league contract

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » June 6th, 2012, 4:41 pm

The only emotion that comes to me when I see this is a hearty laugh.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by ofahn » June 6th, 2012, 7:49 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:The only emotion that comes to me when I see this is a hearty laugh.

I actually see this as a constructive signing.

Jamie Moyer knows how to pitch. If he's productive at Norfolk then we have another option for Baltimore. If not, he didn't cost us another player or much money. Where I can see him making an almost immediate contribution to the organization is the example that he will set for Britton, Tillman, and Bergesen. Moyer is a true professional and goes about his business like one. He also knows how to mix speeds and location to keep a batter off balance. You have to if your FB arrives by Pony Express.

Let's see how this plays out.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » June 6th, 2012, 7:57 pm

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:The only emotion that comes to me when I see this is a hearty laugh.

I actually see this as a constructive signing.

Jamie Moyer knows how to pitch. If he's productive at Norfolk then we have another option for Baltimore. If not, he didn't cost us another player or much money. Where I can see him making an almost immediate contribution to the organization is the example that he will set for Britton, Tillman, and Bergesen. Moyer is a true professional and goes about his business like one. He also knows how to mix speeds and location to keep a batter off balance. You have to if your FB arrives by Pony Express.

Let's see how this plays out.

I actually have no problem with it. It's just hard not to laugh about the situation.
If anything, he can give Britton and Tillman a word of advice while he is down there!
I just know some people are going to have a field day with this.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #5 by Matt P » June 6th, 2012, 8:11 pm

Just like the McLouth, Pineiro, Tejada, etc. signings nothing bad really can come of signing him. Maybe they get lucky and Moyer gives them a couple of good outings that lead to some W's. At the very least he should be a great influence for the guys at Norfolk.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #6 by ofahn » June 6th, 2012, 8:12 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I just know some people are going to have a field day with this.

Of that I have no doubt. I just hope they will remember this piece of good advice before they share their opinion

Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » June 6th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Matt P wrote:Just like the McLouth, Pineiro, Tejada, etc. signings nothing bad really can come of signing him. Maybe they get lucky and Moyer gives them a couple of good outings that lead to some W's. At the very least he should be a great influence for the guys at Norfolk.

I could even argue all those signings were necessary. Without them, the system would be in flux. Better off having them taking those AB than rushing a guy or moving a guy higher than they should be.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #8 by Matt P » June 6th, 2012, 9:15 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
Matt P wrote:Just like the McLouth, Pineiro, Tejada, etc. signings nothing bad really can come of signing him. Maybe they get lucky and Moyer gives them a couple of good outings that lead to some W's. At the very least he should be a great influence for the guys at Norfolk.

I could even argue all those signings were necessary. Without them, the system would be in flux. Better off having them taking those AB than rushing a guy or moving a guy higher than they should be.

Exactly. I'm not convinced there is such a thing as a bad minor league free agent signing.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Shorebirdfan » June 6th, 2012, 9:22 pm

I have to agree. Signings like this, McLouth, Ford, etc are positive moves. It keeps us from rushing young prospects, further diminishing the depth of the organization and while this is going on the team continues to remain competitive.

I guess the only question (and this is a good problem to have) is what happens if and when everyone gets healthy? Could we be in a position where we will need to release some of these older players in order to get sufficient playing time for many of the younger players. Add to this the earlier signing period for draft choices, and one less short season team than in previous years (No Bluefield). Like I said, nice problem to have, but could still present a problem.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #10 by Ampontan » June 6th, 2012, 11:02 pm

Matt P wrote:I'm not convinced there is such a thing as a bad minor league free agent signing.

The sentiments of the Toronto GM, who said there is no such thing as a bad minor league signing.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » June 16th, 2012, 8:00 am

Nice outing last night.. Bring him up!!!!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #12 by Matt P » June 20th, 2012, 8:59 pm

Jamie Moyer went four innings tonight for Norfolk, allowing one run and three hits, walking none and striking out four. He threw 77 pitches, 54 for strikes.

Pretty quick hook. Interesting.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... a-run.html
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by dan72 » June 20th, 2012, 9:21 pm

I can't get excited about Moyer... His numbers in Colorado were not good, the AL east will eat him alive. Couple that with the batter friendly Camden Yards and a poor defense behind him and I think you are asking for disaster.
I think the only way we see him in Baltimore is if someone goes down with an injury or a prolonged slump. He is an insurance policy/ inning eater. He is plan c in case Britton has a set back. I am not in a hurry to see this guy pitch for the Orioles. He is just fine where he is at.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #14 by Ampontan » June 21st, 2012, 9:42 am

dan72 wrote: I think the only way we see him in Baltimore is if someone goes down with an injury or a prolonged slump.

By prolonged slump, you mean something other than what Tommy Hunter and Jake Arrieta have been doing?
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

PostPost #15 by Rising O's » June 21st, 2012, 11:42 am

There must be a better option. Joel Pinero? Hurry up and build up that arm. Zach Britton? Ditto.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles