Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Draft Day 2 Thread 2012

Re: Draft Day 2 Thread 2012

PostPost #46 by Old Sneakers » June 6th, 2012, 3:07 am

Rising O's wrote:That quote doesn't make sense. Round 10 was your easy sign? How much is that slotted for anyway? 100k at the absolute most? So at minimum you would have to offer 40k or 40%. The issue is that if you fail to sign a player, you lose whatever the slot amount would be, it cannot be applied elsewhere. So I'm confused how this 10th round pick helps at all.

Yeah, this lines up with what I was thinking. Isn't the only way you can save money is by going after college seniors? Guy's that generally have no choice but to sign or sit out a full year. Sure hope I somehow got that part of this wrong.

That tenth rounder has a cap of $125,000 not that I see it as "wiggle room"
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #47 by Rising O's » June 6th, 2012, 9:55 am

Yeah, I hope the quote was just to make the other guys feel better, and therefore more likely to sign under slot (except for those 1 or 2 they intended to go over for).

...hoping to find some new information on our draftees today. I look at this draft and think, our staff may need to rethink how to work Bud's game.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #48 by Rising O's » June 6th, 2012, 10:07 am

The Sleeper – Christian Walker (Baltimore): I’m not personally the biggest fan of Walker and his pro prospects, but he’s a flat out winner that can perform in the biggest of spots, and that could play well in pro ball.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

Previous

Return to MLB Draft