Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Nolan Reimold to Rays for Jason Barlett?

Nolan Reimold to Rays for Jason Barlett?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 6th, 2010, 5:29 pm

https://twitter.com/jenroylemasn/status ... 1205293056

MLB Source: #Rays would like #Orioles LF Nolan Reimold in a package that would send SS Jason Bartlett to Baltimore.

Thoughts? Would it be better to hold onto Reimold and sign a FA SS?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Nolan Reimold to Rays for Jason Barlett?

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » December 6th, 2010, 7:51 pm

Any idea what Bartlett's contract status is? I don't want anyone long term as I'd like to see Miclat get a shot before MAchado or Givens is ready.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by Esskay » December 6th, 2010, 7:53 pm

Not worth it, IMO. Bartlett is no better than average defensively and not very good offensively and he's only coming here for one year.

Anything more than a fringy minor leaguer is overpaying for Bartlett.

RE: Shorebirdfan: I believe that he is arb-eligible this season and a free agent at the the of it. He made $4M this past year.
Esskay
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by hsbaseballcoach » December 6th, 2010, 10:01 pm

I might pull the trigger on that one. Bartlett is minor offensive upgrade to Izturis and I do not see Reimold being anything more than a 4th outfielder and there are tons of those around. I would not offer much more though...I would now consider a big move for Reyes, or hold on to Izturis since the O's can't win the division next year and go from there. I would much rather focus on pitching with Reynolds on the O's. The young pitchers have to step up, but the O's have to give them some support. Tough spot to be in!
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by mthompson » December 7th, 2010, 12:02 am

I really want no part of this deal, if we need to to give up more then just riemold. The rays want Reimold and more (according to mlbtraderumors.com), and i want no part of that for a average rental. That being said if Bartlett can be had for Reimold straight up, that is 100% something i would jump all over. At the end of the day, I do believe that the Rays will need to dump him and I think that if he can produce somewhere between 2009 and 2010 and being that he is just an average defender .280 10 hrs 80 runs 50rbi 20 sbs and a .340 obp is a huge upgrade over the mighty cesar
mthompson
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #6 by Don » December 7th, 2010, 12:24 am

Why sell so low?

This makes no sense for the Orioles in the short term or long term. I would prefer to package Nolan for a better piece or allow Nolan to finally showcase his talents and turn him into an even better package.

Isturiz makes alot more sense and try and trade for these non-tender guys when arbitration hearings come around. Someone will flinch over Hardy or Bartlett. The Orioles should not be those guys when neither would be signed to their original teams come Spring Training.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #7 by Gator » December 7th, 2010, 12:50 am

I've got to agree with you there Don. When healthy Nolan has shown great ability at the ML level. Now i know that health is a huge issue with him but i don't see us trading him, especially within the division, for a slightly above average SS.
Gator
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 7th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Talks heating up:

http://twitter.com/danconnollysun/statu ... 1060358145

#Orioles and #Rays swap of Jason Bartlett for Nolan Reimold is heating up. One source expects it to happen today,
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by mthompson » December 7th, 2010, 3:13 pm

I really think everyone is forgetting how good Bartlett was in 09'. He plays a permium position, is not a butcher in the field by any means, and fills a complete hole in the lineup that cesar has created the past 2 seasons. Riemold is no longer a prospect, he is at best a 5th OF/AAAA player. I would take a legit major league player for a guy that will not crack our lineup anyday.
mthompson
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #10 by Shorebirdfan » December 7th, 2010, 8:11 pm

Everything I'm reading says this is now a dead deal. Good decision. Too much for too little return.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 8th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Bartlett has officially been shipped to the Padres for relievers Cesar Ramos and Adam Russel.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles