Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Jeff Francis anyone?

Jeff Francis anyone?

PostPost #1 by osforlife » June 4th, 2012, 2:29 pm

Reds Release Jeff Francis
By Mike Axisa [June 4, 2012 at 10:42am CST]
The Reds have released Jeff Francis at his request according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN (on Twitter). The veteran southpaw exercised a June 1st opt-out clause in his minor league contract.

Francis, 31, pitched to a 3.72 ERA with 7.6 K/9 and 2.1 BB/9 in 77 1/3 innings across 12 starts for Cincinnati's Triple-A affiliate. He threw a nine-inning complete game shutout just last night. Given his solid performance in the minors and the demand for pitching, Francis could wind up signing a Major League contract and join a team's rotation in short order.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/06/r ... ancis.html

With our rotation uncertainity, why not sign him? Francis has pitched very well at AAA and I always remember reading about how much potential he had. He shouldn't cost all that much considering he was just pitching pitching in the minors. If we are out of contention by August we could trade him for something and if this team is for real then maybe he could pitch towards October. Thoughts?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Jeff Francis anyone?

PostPost #2 by Matt P » June 4th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Yes please. He was a guy I thought they should look at in the off season ans the O's have two holes to fill in the rotation.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » June 5th, 2012, 12:51 am

Wouldn't hurt to at least slot him into the Norfolk rotation as added SP depth.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Rising O's » June 5th, 2012, 11:35 am

Doubt Francis will take a minor league deal, someone will pop on a ML contract. We could use him, but will the Orioles choose him over their farm prospects?
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #5 by dan72 » June 7th, 2012, 11:07 pm

I like him much more than I like Moyer. I see no reason to sign Moyer. The AL east will hit Moyer like batting practice. The only reason to get moyer would be for bull pen or situational use. Not as a starter.
Francis could help immediately. I can think of a few guys I would send down to make room for him.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » June 10th, 2012, 9:02 am

dan72 wrote:I like him much more than I like Moyer. I see no reason to sign Moyer. The AL east will hit Moyer like batting practice. The only reason to get moyer would be for bull pen or situational use. Not as a starter.
Francis could help immediately. I can think of a few guys I would send down to make room for him.

Post of the Week!!!!
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles