Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Trade Two Bullpen Arms for 3B Mark Reynolds

Orioles Trade Two Bullpen Arms for 3B Mark Reynolds

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » December 6th, 2010, 12:32 pm

Find the article here: http://orioles-nation.com/?p=7692

What are your thoughts on this deal?
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Orioles Trade Two Bullpen Arms for 3B Mark Reynolds

PostPost #2 by Don » December 6th, 2010, 12:37 pm

They are signing Gregg to a three year deal and expect the announcement sometime this afternoon. This is the offset to losing two bullpen arms.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by 2131andBeyond » December 6th, 2010, 1:38 pm

Don wrote:They are signing Gregg to a three year deal and expect the announcement sometime this afternoon. This is the offset to losing two bullpen arms.

Not sure where you see this at. Source?

And what's your thought on the trade itself?
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by DPR420 » December 6th, 2010, 1:48 pm

love it. anytime you can turn a bullpen arm into an everyday player, you do it. I was saying earlier how if all a Reynolds deal would require was a C level prospect and Hernandez that they should go ahead and do it. now we solve the power bat and third baseman holes with one player. solid move that, if he can improve his OBP to .350+, will look like a total steal.
get 'em.
DPR420
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Esskay » December 6th, 2010, 5:12 pm

I'm sad that we had to give up Hernandez and have some trepidations that Reynolds will just stop hitting baseballs at all. But his BABIP was way down last year and his defense is supposedly ok. Plus, there's always the .0001% chance that he tweaks his swing and turns into Mike Schmidt.

In the end, I'm fine with the trade.
Esskay
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Shorebirdfan » December 6th, 2010, 7:50 pm

I like the trade. Hernandez will most likely be no more than a solid middle reliever/ set up man to possibly a decent closer. The O's are full of potential David Hernandez like players. Yes Reynolds strikes out like no one else in the game, but he gives us the pop we have long needed. Now lets get a 1B (take Pena off the table please) and get ready for spring.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #7 by hsbaseballcoach » December 6th, 2010, 9:58 pm

I am sad to see Hernandez go as well, but I see it the same way as Shorebird. Hernandez could be a very good closer, but you have to take some risks and I think this was calculated. Any trade could end up being another Glenn Davis trade, but at least MacPhail is not sitting on his hands. He still needs to add a SS and a starting pitcher for me to be satisfied.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Don » December 7th, 2010, 12:20 am

My circles, both with Orioles organization and other organizations, have said that bullpen arms would not be traded unless they had secured an agreement with another relief pitcher.

I was told Gregg was very close to an agreement over the weekend and both sides were suppose to meet this morning to hammer out a deal. In the Orioles setups, they wait until the guy goes through and passes an examination before disclosing any agreements, but I would have thought that Roch or Steve would have been given the nod sometime today. As far as I know now, he is going to end up an Oriole.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #9 by Shorebirdfan » December 7th, 2010, 8:13 pm

I see a lot of activity involving the O's in the mix. Not sure they will pull off many of them, but good to at least hear they are talking to people rather than sitting back and waiting for people to come to them.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Return to Baltimore Orioles