Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Matching the Red Sox offer for Adrian Gonzalez

Matching the Red Sox offer for Adrian Gonzalez

PostPost #1 by BuckMagic » December 5th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Red Sox give up: Casey Kelly, Raymond Fuentes and Anthony Rizzo.

Coming out of the Orioles system, what would the Orioles have to do to match that? Which prospects in the O's system are equivalent to the Red Sox threesome?

For me Zach Britton = Casey Kelly.
Raymond Fuentes = Xavier Avery

Rizzo is a little harder to match. I'm not sure Joe Mahoney or Tyler Townsend are equivalent to Rizzo. Maybe LJ Hoes or Mychal Givens makes more sense.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Matching the Red Sox offer for Adrian Gonzalez

PostPost #2 by Esskay » December 5th, 2010, 8:43 pm

I can see the Britton/Kelly parallel, but I think Chris Tillman is a better comp. Not in terms of hype/perceived value, but in terms of relative accomplishment. Both are young, promising pitchers who had bad years at an advanced level for their age.

Fuentes/Avery makes sense too, although I think Avery is clearly better; he had a pretty good year that Fuentes will have a hard time matching in his age-20 season next year.

We don't have a blue-chip power prospect at AA or AAA. Hoes is probably closest in terms of value, as he's an advanced 20 year old with decent statistical results over a few years of data.

If we say that Tillman=Kelly, Avery>Fuentes, and Rizzo>Hoes, I think Tillman, Avery, and Hoes comes close to matching the Sox offer.

The Sox are also rumored to have included a PTBNL, by the way.
Esskay
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Matching the Red Sox offer for Adrian Gonzalez

PostPost #3 by DPR420 » December 6th, 2010, 8:47 am

you've also got to account for the PTBNL. what if it's, say Bucholz, Nava, someone like that? I'm not sure what he's worth at this point, I'd assume a lot, so it wouldn't make sense to just take one good prospect and two decent other ones without getting a proven, young, major-leauger.
get 'em.
DPR420
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Baltimore Orioles