Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The Organization's Overall Record is 83-114

The Organization's Overall Record is 83-114

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » May 29th, 2012, 12:46 pm

As of 5/29/12 the Organization has an 83-114 record, not including the Baltimore Orioles.

Delmarva
Frederick
Bowie
Norfolk

all have losing records. While wins are not the most important thing in the minors, this does potentially tell us a few things:

1: The Orioles simply have lesser talent on the field.
2: Prospects are not living up to their status.

While it was known coming into the season that the organization did not have the greatest depth behind the big 3 prospects of Machado, Bundy, Schoop; It still is a little disappointing to see that winning is really not happening at any level. I thought Delmarva started out great, but they have had a dreadful May, besides Nick Delmonico and a select few others.

Like I said, Winning is not everything in the minors, but these teams are not exactly performing up to their standards when it comes down to it. There are TONS of good things going on with individuals at every level. Just not clicking as a team at any level really.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: The Organization's Overall Record is 83-114

PostPost #2 by A_K » May 29th, 2012, 1:47 pm

I don't really believe winning in the minors is a thing, let alone the thing.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » May 29th, 2012, 2:54 pm

Really need to focus on fundamentals more in spring. Every year its the same thing. Kids can't bunt, and don't field well (again a few exceptions). The number of times I see walks turned in to triples (bad pick off throws, SB throws into CF) it just drives you nuts.

I don't see it with every organization either. Particularly, Rangers, Marlins and Nationals stand out as ones who execute on the basics.

Also, the other night Delmarva hitters struck out 19 times in a game. Now admittedly, Jose Fernandez, MArlins 1st round pick was the starter, and not many folks have done well off of him, but there is just a lack of patience and plate discipline.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by Matt P » May 29th, 2012, 6:31 pm

Looking at W/L records in the minor leagues is pointless.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » May 29th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Matt P wrote:Looking at W/L records in the minor leagues is pointless.

I believe I mentioned that twice.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #6 by Matt P » May 29th, 2012, 6:52 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
Matt P wrote:Looking at W/L records in the minor leagues is pointless.

I believe I mentioned that twice.

You said it wasn't the biggest thing not that it is pointless.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #7 by chirping birds » May 30th, 2012, 11:14 am

In the games I have listened to this year (approx 30-35 [Delmarva/Frederick]) the reoccurring theme seems to be iffy starting pitching, usually including one blow up inning that puts the game out of reach, and seemingly constant errors whether it be errant throws flying into the outfield, or dropped balls keeping the blow up inning from disappearing. Excluding the few games where they have a combined 19K or 2 hits, their offense seems to put runs on the board, but not enough to match the 6-8 runs the pitching gives up. IMO, patience needs to be preached as there is no time limit in baseball, which makes it one of a kind.
chirping birds
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #8 by Tucker Blair » May 30th, 2012, 3:26 pm

chirping birds wrote:In the games I have listened to this year (approx 30-35 [Delmarva/Frederick]) the reoccurring theme seems to be iffy starting pitching, usually including one blow up inning that puts the game out of reach, and seemingly constant errors whether it be errant throws flying into the outfield, or dropped balls keeping the blow up inning from disappearing. Excluding the few games where they have a combined 19K or 2 hits, their offense seems to put runs on the board, but not enough to match the 6-8 runs the pitching gives up. IMO, patience needs to be preached as there is no time limit in baseball, which makes it one of a kind.

I agree. This org has a terrible track record with defense so far this season and branching from last season. I was in the process of writing something on this but never finished it. Compared to the other teams in our division, the Orioles system had around 20-40 more unearned runs than the others. I would say that is a pretty big difference.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #9 by ofahn » May 30th, 2012, 4:22 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
chirping birds wrote:In the games I have listened to this year (approx 30-35 [Delmarva/Frederick]) the reoccurring theme seems to be iffy starting pitching, usually including one blow up inning that puts the game out of reach, and seemingly constant errors whether it be errant throws flying into the outfield, or dropped balls keeping the blow up inning from disappearing. Excluding the few games where they have a combined 19K or 2 hits, their offense seems to put runs on the board, but not enough to match the 6-8 runs the pitching gives up. IMO, patience needs to be preached as there is no time limit in baseball, which makes it one of a kind.

I agree. This org has a terrible track record with defense so far this season and branching from last season. I was in the process of writing something on this but never finished it. Compared to the other teams in our division, the Orioles system had around 20-40 more unearned runs than the others. I would say that is a pretty big difference.

IMO the organization needs to implement a system wide emphasis on defense and plate discipline. Prospects should not be able to advance past Frederick unless they can field their position at what would be at least ML average, and they should average at least four pitches an AB over their last 250 plate appearances. These are reasonable standards and will allow prospects the best chance of sticking at the ML level when they get there.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » May 30th, 2012, 4:36 pm

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:

IMO the organization needs to implement a system wide emphasis on defense and plate discipline. Prospects should not be able to advance past Frederick unless they can field their position at what would be at least ML average, and they should average at least four pitches an AB over their last 250 plate appearances. These are reasonable standards and will allow prospects the best chance of sticking at the ML level when they get there.

It's a good idea, but the problem with that is so many players have different ceilings, statuses, abilities. I think they do need to implement something though. I cannot speak for them, but it does seem like they need some more instruction in certain aspects (who knows, maybe they have started covering this already). I also know it takes a lot more time than just overnight.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #11 by ofahn » May 30th, 2012, 5:05 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:the problem with that is so many players have different ceilings

It's just my opinion but that ceiling should be High A if they can't perform to acceptable levels. That approach would allow us to use the roster spots at AA and AAA for prospects that have a chance to be productive major leaguers or veterans capable of being called up in an emergency.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #12 by Shorebirdfan » May 30th, 2012, 9:58 pm

With 2 ER's tonight, the Shorebirds have now scored 12 ER in their last 10 games on 49 hits. Included in those counts are 3 ER scored on 2 HR by Justin Dalles prior to his promotion to Frederick. That leaves 9ER in 10 games on the current roster. They have also struck out 91 times over those 10 games.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #13 by chirping birds » May 31st, 2012, 10:24 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:

With 2 ER's tonight, the Shorebirds have now scored 12 ER in their last 10 games on 49 hits. Included in those counts are 3 ER scored on 2 HR by Justin Dalles prior to his promotion to Frederick. That leaves 9ER in 10 games on the current roster. They have also struck out 91 times over those 10 games.

That was just hard to read and comprehend..had to read it twice, and now I have a headache...aye carumba
chirping birds
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Minor Leagues