Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Adam Jones and walks

Adam Jones and walks

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 30th, 2012, 10:25 am

One issue people have always had with Adam Jones is that he doesn't walk enough. However, Jones has been crushing mistakes and going to the opposite field with ease.

Jones has become one of the most dangerous hitters in the game. As a result, he's going to see a lot less good pitches, which will lead to more walks.

I believe the walks that everyone has wanted to see from Jones are finally going to come.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Adam Jones and walks

PostPost #2 by CSPitt17130 » May 30th, 2012, 11:34 am

Jordan wrote:One issue people have always had with Adam Jones is that he doesn't walk enough. However, Jones has been crushing mistakes and going to the opposite field with ease.

Jones has become one of the most dangerous hitters in the game. As a result, he's going to see a lot less good pitches, which will lead to more walks.

I believe the walks that everyone has wanted to see from Jones are finally going to come.

This is essentially what Dave Cameron outlined in his article after Jones signed the contract extension, saying Jones will get more walks due simply to the fact that he'll be pitched around. Jones still has to take the walks though. I'd like to see him be more selective with swings within the strike zone.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by Zach » May 30th, 2012, 1:34 pm

He has time to mature and will continue to develop his game and I think this is an adjustment he will make. I think the biggest thing is him going to the opposite field because it shows a willingness by Jones to take what a pitcher is giving him rather than forcing this issue. This is the kind of mindset that will eventually lead to more walks. Plus, the way he is hitting right now I will take a little bit of free swinging.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » May 30th, 2012, 1:36 pm

The problem I see is who bats behind him and has his back so to speak??? Time for Davis to be plugged into the #5 hole until Wieters wakes up?? Jones is a tremendous force and I see teams just simply pitching around him 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » May 30th, 2012, 2:25 pm

I know Davis has good overall numbers but I can remember many games during this stretch that he has failed to produce in clutch situations. It seemed to me every time the Orioles threatened he came up and produced an out, not even the productive kind. This team needs Reimold badly and not to hit leadoff either.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » May 31st, 2012, 12:39 pm

Getting Reimond back would be huge but just as important getting Reynolds on his 37 HR pace of a year ago would be a tremendous lift. It would help too if Roberts can return and contribute, making this lineup much tougher from top to bottom 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles