Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Trade Market

Trade Market

PostPost #1 by Don » October 25th, 2010, 11:59 am

Another mans garbage can be the Orioles treasure.....

Carlos Lee - He mans a position that Orioles do not have a need for at the moment, but he comes in with the right handed power bat requirements. He is owed 2 years and 37 million, but eating the salary will not command top talent in return. I think one or two borderline prospects would be the price with eating that contract. His production slipped this season, but the power numbers were still present. I think a change of address could do him some good and he was productive in AL East stadiums. 34 is nothing to write off all things considering. Adding him could entice another free agent to hop on board. It also allows the team to try and package Nolan Reimold for another piece.

Kuzimanoff/Jackson

Unless the Athletics want to have a logjam on the corners, one of these arbitation eligible guys would be available. I am not quite sure that either are leaps and bounds better than what was on the roster last year, but talent is their and these are the types that can find another home and produce. Maybe a package starting with Nolan Reimold could work?

Clint Barmes

SS/2B mold that most likely could be a non-tender canidate as well. He could be very cheap and a new place and zipcode could breath new life into him. He was at one point considered a cornerstone before injury and Troy came into the picture.

J.J. Hardy

Different team and history, but similar story to Barmes.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: Trade Market

PostPost #2 by CamdenRevival » October 25th, 2010, 10:48 pm

I hear Clint Barmes and have nightmares of Garrett Atkins. Unless TT is available, I'm perfectly fine staying away from the ex-Rockies and their inflated stats. :-)
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Don » October 28th, 2010, 10:16 am

I would not dismiss any player simply because of traits that followed other players. If this was your logic, you say no to Matt Hoilday no matter the dollar amount attached to his name. Nope, it makes no sense.

All Matt Holiday did this season with the Cardinals was .316 28 103 with OPS 149.

You can dismiss Barnes for many of reason, but nothing that would tie with Garrett Atkins as you main logic of reasoning.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by LukeScottsShotgun » November 10th, 2010, 6:15 pm

Don wrote:I would not dismiss any player simply because of traits that followed other players. If this was your logic, you say no to Matt Hoilday no matter the dollar amount attached to his name. Nope, it makes no sense.

All Matt Holiday did this season with the Cardinals was .316 28 103 with OPS 149.

You can dismiss Barnes for many of reason, but nothing that would tie with Garrett Atkins as you main logic of reasoning.

I'll take Izturis and his steady defense. I'd prefer to not trade for guys who we HOPE will rebound because typically, that tends to fail more often than it works. Can Barnes play third? He might be worth taking a flyer on if he can.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by hsbaseballcoach » November 10th, 2010, 7:45 pm

Izturis is a world class defender, but is one of the worst offensive SS in the majors. I think it is time that the Orioles find a better option until Machado is ready to play everyday and that is probably 3 years (at best) away. Andino has a better bat, but has trouble throwing and is too much of a hotdog for me. There has to be a better 2-3 year option that would give the Orioles the chance to get over .500 next year - a lofty goal, but it has to happen!
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by LukeScottsShotgun » November 13th, 2010, 12:07 pm

hsbaseballcoach wrote:Izturis is a world class defender, but is one of the worst offensive SS in the majors. I think it is time that the Orioles find a better option until Machado is ready to play everyday and that is probably 3 years (at best) away. Andino has a better bat, but has trouble throwing and is too much of a hotdog for me. There has to be a better 2-3 year option that would give the Orioles the chance to get over .500 next year - a lofty goal, but it has to happen!

How about Stephen Drew? D-Backs are supposedly shopping him and Reynolds. You want a 2-3 year option at SS and a third baseman for the future? Well, there you go.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Lucky Jim » November 13th, 2010, 6:01 pm

Enjoy your posts, Don. I have to say, though, Carlos Lee is a pretty terrible option: he's shown declining ISO, he's a terrible fielder, he's owed a ton of money, and he's at an age where a drop-off is the default expectation. He was hurt by a low BABIP last year, but part of that is due to a low LD%.

I was against signing Lee back when he was a free agent, and I definitely wouldn't sign him now, when all you get are the over-priced and under-performing years.

Sure, there's a chance of a late career bounce-back. But it's not a possibility worth the serious digits he's going to cost.
Lucky Jim
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by hsbaseballcoach » November 14th, 2010, 10:41 pm

Drew would be a fantastic option. I agree that I would stay away from Carlos Lee. I do not see him adding more at the plate then Scott and he does not bring anything close to what Scott brings in the clubhouse. I think getting Drew, or Reyes is wishful thinking - but I would give up Tillman and another prospect (exclude Britton and Machado) to get him.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by LukeScottsShotgun » November 29th, 2010, 5:13 pm

hsbaseballcoach wrote:Drew would be a fantastic option. I agree that I would stay away from Carlos Lee. I do not see him adding more at the plate then Scott and he does not bring anything close to what Scott brings in the clubhouse. I think getting Drew, or Reyes is wishful thinking - but I would give up Tillman and another prospect (exclude Britton and Machado) to get him.

I'd prefer Reyes over Drew, but I'll take any of those guys. Maybe get the D-Backs to package Drew and Reynolds together?

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by DougDE » November 30th, 2010, 5:21 am

hsbaseballcoach wrote:Drew would be a fantastic option. I agree that I would stay away from Carlos Lee. I do not see him adding more at the plate then Scott and he does not bring anything close to what Scott brings in the clubhouse. I think getting Drew, or Reyes is wishful thinking - but I would give up Tillman and another prospect (exclude Britton and Machado) to get him.

No need to exclude Machado yet, a player cant be traded until 1 year after they sign their 1st pro contract
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #11 by hsbaseballcoach » November 30th, 2010, 8:09 pm

Doug - I know Machado is not an option just pointing out that I would keep him off the table for a few years. Maybe the Os could get lucky and someone will take Billy Rowell? Seriously, I would give up Bell, Tillman, Snyder, Pie, Miclat, Adams, Hernandez, Joseph - Just let AZ pick 3 or 4.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by DougDE » December 1st, 2010, 3:11 am

I heard the O's are talkin to them about Reynolds. I'd probably give up 6 of those names for Drew and Reynolds combo. It'd be a major hit to the depth of our system but we'd retain our top pitching and offensive prospects and gain 2 ML starters at positions we desperately need filled. Then Id like to see LaRoche get signed for 2 or 3 years to hold down 1st for a while. With all Reynolds strikeouts I think we'd probably want more of an all around hitter like LaRoche with better D then say a Dunn. This is all probably a pipe dream tho. Im getting really frustrated with their lack of inactivity. I thought this was gonna be a proactive winter, not reactive/let the market play out like usual
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Return to Baltimore Orioles