Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Frederick Has Become A Team To Watch

Frederick Has Become A Team To Watch

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » May 28th, 2012, 1:40 pm

At the beginning of the year I'll admit that Frederick was not the at the top of my list for teams to go watch.

They had a few players I wanted to see, but in general I was more fascinated with the names at Bowie and Delmarva. In the recent weeks it has changed a little.

Frederick has finally gotten back a healthy Trent Mummey, and he has been on fire the past month. He started off slow before hitting the DL, but has really come on. His line is at .244/.337/.344, but that does not really indicate his success. His 11BB/10K ratio is rather excellent though.

Delmarva has also given Frederick three names whom have been playing well all year. Dylan Bundy is the no-brainer of the group. I'll leave it at that. However, John Ruettiger and Justin Dalles have been swinging hot bats all year.

Ruettiger has flat out impressed me since day 1. I saw him play at Delmarva last season and noted that he was a guy to watch. Then this spring training Showalter and the rest of the coaching staff were enamored by him and seemed to really like him. He's only furthered his stance in the 2012 season with his .310/.388/.366 batting line between Delmarva and Frederick. He can steal bases and play a good CF too.

I'll admit, I had Dalles below Gabriel Lino before the season (And probably still). But Dalles has been impressive with his bat so far. He had a .329/.410 /.571 batting line at Delmarva before being promoted to Frederick. His success has been noteworthy, although I do think they wanted Dalles and Lino to both get full playing time, thus the promotion being good for another cause.

Overall, It looks like there is quite a few reason to check out a Frederick game very soon. Anyone been out there yet?
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Frederick Has Become A Team To Watch

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » May 28th, 2012, 9:38 pm

Haven't been to Frederick yet this year (although I have my Birdland Passports so I'm planning to hit all parks this season), but obviously I've seen Ruettiger and Dalles many times and Bundy a few.

Let's start at the top - Bundy - I feel like an idiot being critical at all of a guy who put up the numbers Bundy did in Delmarva, certainly the promotion was well warranted. His fastball is enough to get him by at these lower levels, and I saw him rely on it far too much. 1st and 3rd with one out meant nothing but. The first couple times I saw him, although he didn't mix in the secondary pitches as much as someone in the development stage should, when he did, they were things of beauty. the last couple starts, it seemed like he was struggling much more with the control of these pitches. I have no doubt Dylan will crack the rotation sometime late next season and remain there forever. I have no doubt he will be a frontline starter for years to come, I'm just saying that IF he needs to work on something (and who doesn't) being able to keep hitters off balance using these pitches when its not called for will play a big part in his development.

Ruettiger - Although I hate losing talent on the field I sit at nightly, I was glad to see John get promoted. He and Glynn Davis at the same level just didn't make sense. It was John who was moved to LF (as it appears he will be behind Mummey). I think he needs to be in a place where he can roam CF and not play 2nd fiddle. Smart on the bases, quick first step, reads pitchers and fly balls well. Decent routes while playing LF, but again I want to see him cover CF and see if that is the same. Arm is not a strength and of course like all O's CF prospects, limited power.

Dalles - other than his age, I simply don't understand why people put Lino ahead of him. He has always been a strong defensive presence and is finally starting to hit. I like the extra pop in the bat this season. Justin has never hit more than 5 HR's in any professional season and has 4 already.

I don't like that Mike Wright has been promoted to Bowie already. I think they might be moving a little fast with him.

Last thing I'll add to this is another player that is likely to join Frederick soon. That would be Nickie Delmonico. Coming in as a 3B and having to move to another position (due to Jason Esposito being slotted at 3B), as well as being only 19, I've been extremely impressed with him both offensively and defensively. More and more, Nickie has been used at 2B, and I think this might be the role for him. He has also been stinging the ball at the plate, looking more and more confortable daily. Lefty bat (righty glove) with some pop (5 HR so far) and has hit well in May (.289) while making a lot of hard luck and hard hit outs.

Couple these youngsters with some of the more veteran Carolina League guys (Kelly, Shutz, Schrader) and I agree things could turn around there.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by CSPitt17130 » May 29th, 2012, 7:41 am

You left off the player who could have the biggest ML impact besides Bundy: Schrader. He continues to be almost unhittable, striking out almost 15 per 9 innings, but walking almost a batter an inning.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #4 by CSPitt17130 » May 29th, 2012, 7:47 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:\
Dalles - other than his age, I simply don't understand why people put Lino ahead of him. He has always been a strong defensive presence and is finally starting to hit. I like the extra pop in the bat this season. Justin has never hit more than 5 HR's in any professional season and has 4 already.

Age is important. Dalles is 4 and half years older than Lino. That's a big difference when they're only separated by one level. Beyond that, you have to look past the stats. Scouting reports, including everything that Don says on here and on twitter, are much better ways to get a grasp on how good a player is. Now that Lino is getting more exposure in a full season league, lots of reports say he could be the O's best prospect behind Schoop. I don't think Dalles is even a prospect anymore.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by ofahn » May 29th, 2012, 11:07 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:More and more, Nickie has been used at 2B, and I think this might be the role for him.

It surprised me to see him there game after game. In your opinion can he play there at the ML level? Is he an above average ML 2B or are we looking at another Jeff Kent?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by ofahn » May 29th, 2012, 11:10 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:Couple these youngsters with some of the more veteran Carolina League guys (Kelly, Shutz, Schrader)

Schrader looks like a potential impact closer but he needs to improve his control. ML hitters will be patient with a pitcher that has trouble finding the plate and then feast on the FB he has to throw down the middle to get a strike.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by ofahn » May 29th, 2012, 11:16 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:Dalles - other than his age, I simply don't understand why people put Lino ahead of him. He has always been a strong defensive presence and is finally starting to hit. I like the extra pop in the bat this season. Justin has never hit more than 5 HR's in any professional season and has 4 already.

Dalles needs to produce the same results as he was at Delmarva after about 200 ABs at Frederick to restore his prospect status. If he were to do that and then have the same results at Bowie for at least another 100 ABs he could be a top 10 (team) level prospect. Catchers are the position prospects that normally take the longest to develop. He's not too old yet but he needs to put his development in the express lane.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » May 29th, 2012, 11:22 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:I have no doubt Dylan will crack the rotation sometime late next season and remain there forever.

I'm not so sure about that. It's not that I question his talent, it's that I don't know if the team will allow him to pitch enough innings to finish the 2013 season at Baltimore. He's scheduled to pitch about 130 innings this year. The team will want to limit his increase in innings next year to about 165 - 170. Unless he's pitching in a six man rotation all next year there won't be many of those innings left after August.

I'd be satisfied if they brought him up for about 25 innings next year and then shut him down until 2014. By that time he should be good for 200+ innings and can be considered a potential starter candidate out of Spring Training.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » May 29th, 2012, 12:33 pm

Important thing to remember on Lino vs Dalles is that as an 18yo it is a HUGE jump from GCL to low-A. Lino has impressed simply by holding his ground.

I am very excited to see how he handles it next season in the 2nd go around.

Everyone above pretty much covered my thoughts on Dalles
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » May 29th, 2012, 12:55 pm

CSPitt17130 wrote:You left off the player who could have the biggest ML impact besides Bundy: Schrader. He continues to be almost unhittable, striking out almost 15 per 9 innings, but walking almost a batter an inning.

ha, can't believe I did that. I've been talking about him for a month now. I think he needs to be moved up personally.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #11 by Shorebirdfan » May 29th, 2012, 2:40 pm

ofahn wrote:
Shorebirdfan wrote:I have no doubt Dylan will crack the rotation sometime late next season and remain there forever.

I'm not so sure about that. It's not that I question his talent, it's that I don't know if the team will allow him to pitch enough innings to finish the 2013 season at Baltimore. He's scheduled to pitch about 130 innings this year. The team will want to limit his increase in innings next year to about 165 - 170. Unless he's pitching in a six man rotation all next year there won't be many of those innings left after August.

I'd be satisfied if they brought him up for about 25 innings next year and then shut him down until 2014. By that time he should be good for 200+ innings and can be considered a potential starter candidate out of Spring Training.

Yes I was simply thinking September call up for a couple starts to end the season and then into the rotation in 2014.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Shorebirdfan » May 29th, 2012, 2:42 pm

ofahn wrote:
Shorebirdfan wrote:More and more, Nickie has been used at 2B, and I think this might be the role for him.

It surprised me to see him there game after game. In your opinion can he play there at the ML level? Is he an above average ML 2B or are we looking at another Jeff Kent?

I think it is too early to say definitively, but he has impressed me there so far with so little time at the position. I'd like to see them commit to him at the position rather than bouncing him back and forth between 1B and 2B.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by Shorebirdfan » May 29th, 2012, 2:46 pm

Lino got off to a great start but has looked over matched lately. Both offensively and behnd the plate. Throws have been inaccurate (mostly long and to the SS side). Teams have figured out his weak spot hitting wise (can't lay off low breaking stuff). He is 18 so can he overcome? Of course he can, but right now he looks like Aberdeen in a month would be better for him.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by Ampontan » May 31st, 2012, 11:07 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:I don't like that Mike Wright has been promoted to Bowie already. I think they might be moving a little fast with him.

People say he is really being groomed as a reliever, and could even get a September call-up in that role.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

PostPost #15 by Old Sneakers » May 31st, 2012, 1:32 pm

Good post Shorebirdfan

Shorebirdfan wrote:

His fastball is enough to get him by at these lower levels, and I saw him rely on it far too much.

That won't fly for long at high A. Which is probably a good thing as it wasn't his fastball alone that got him drafted. It will be fun to see how quickly and how well he works in his secondary pitches.

Shorebirdfan wrote:
I don't like that Mike Wright has been promoted to Bowie already. I think they might be moving a little fast with him.

I totally agree here! The knock on Wright was that his third pitch would decide his ultimate role with the team. He's 22 years old what is the rush? The team invested in him when it drafted and signed him. Why not try to maximize their return?

Ampontan wrote:
People say he is really being groomed as a reliever, and could even get a September call-up in that role.

I will end up very disappointed if they settle the issue that quickly
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

Next

Return to Minor Leagues