Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

When Britton returns...

When Britton returns...

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 28th, 2012, 2:06 pm

Zach Britton will be back with the Orioles fairly soon.

It's safe to say that Chen, Hammel, and Arrieta's spots in the rotation are safe. That leaves Matusz and Hunter.

I think most will disagree, but I would like to see Matusz keep his spot and have Hunter moved out of the rotation for Britton. Although Matusz struggled in his last start, he has looked sharper as of late and has been much better in the month of May.

Who should lose their rotation spot when Britton returns?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: When Britton returns...

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » May 28th, 2012, 2:32 pm

I think some would argue that even Arrieta is not safe.

However, I think Hunter is the one who most likely will get the boot. He just hasn't shown me much honestly. His numbers have been just as good as Matusz in reality, but there is no doubt that he has been hittable . Each start he's had there have been balls launched all year. Just look at his FIP and xFIP. they both are above 5.00 compared to Matusz who has it below 5.00. Not to mention Hunter is giving up way too many HR. He is giving up way too many hard hit balls. I still like Matusz over the long run. I also like Arrieta's stuff over the long run much more, even though he really needs to find a little more consistency
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by osforlife » May 28th, 2012, 2:39 pm

I don't understand why Arrieta is not even being considered as a candidate to be replaced. But I believe the obvious choice is Hunter; He's pitched the worst. He faces Toronto tonight...which I'am guessing will not go well. A fly ball pitcher vs. a homerun team usually doesn't go well. But like Buck says...these things usually work themselves out.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 28th, 2012, 2:44 pm

osforlife wrote:I don't understand why Arrieta is not even being considered as a candidate to be replaced. But I believe the obvious choice is Hunter; He's pitched the worst. He faces Toronto tonight...which I'am guessing will not go well. A fly ball pitcher vs. a homerun team usually doesn't go well. But like Buck says...these things usually work themselves out.

Arrieta's outings have been a bit rough lately, but his overall numbers are really solid. He's cut his walk rate in half from last year, has upped his strikeout rate, is giving up less home runs than ever, and has the highest BABIP of his career. His FIP is a solid 4.01 and his xFIP is an even better 3.49. He's just been a little unlucky lately.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Don » May 28th, 2012, 4:44 pm

I would allow Hunter to move into a swing starter role, but this is not a strong vote of confidence on Britton. I have heard that the mechanics to the plate are exactly the same ones that got him into trouble in the first place.

All I would say is do not keep that seat warm and the team could still use two more options to fit into the rotation sometime in July or August.

I would do everything in their power to sign Oswalt to the pro-rated 14-16 million deal (7-8 for half of season).
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by legmason » May 28th, 2012, 5:43 pm

I agree and I would favor Britton over Hunter at this point. However I'm cautiously optimistic due to the fact that Britton is still a very young pitcher and young pitching isn't something I like to place bets on.

I don't have a ton of faith in Tillman as a starter at this point but I would guess the Orioles still view him as a potential back of the rotation type if he can just keep his mechanics together. What's the word on him and his year in Norfolk? I know his stats are great but what about his peripherals?

Also, what do you guys think of Steve Johnson?
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #7 by CSPitt17130 » May 28th, 2012, 7:21 pm

Britton hasn't exactly been an above average major league pitcher since before he got hurt midway last year. Why not let him earn his way back up to the Orioles with an initial assignment to Norfolk? Isn't that what Duquette was intending by bringing in a lot of starting pitching depth?
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #8 by Tucker Blair » May 28th, 2012, 7:30 pm

legmason wrote:I agree and I would favor Britton over Hunter at this point. However I'm cautiously optimistic due to the fact that Britton is still a very young pitcher and young pitching isn't something I like to place bets on.

I don't have a ton of faith in Tillman as a starter at this point but I would guess the Orioles still view him as a potential back of the rotation type if he can just keep his mechanics together. What's the word on him and his year in Norfolk? I know his stats are great but what about his peripherals?

Also, what do you guys think of Steve Johnson?

Tillman has been the same thing at AAA. Good numbers but he still has the same tendencies. Still cant get into the 7th. Still walks way too many batters.

Johnson is intriguing, but he is injured still and I don't know if he truly is even an upgrade.

CSPitt17130 wrote:Britton hasn't exactly been an above average major league pitcher since before he got hurt midway last year. Why not let him earn his way back up to the Orioles with an initial assignment to Norfolk? Isn't that what Duquette was intending by bringing in a lot of starting pitching depth?

Who knows, maybe that is what they originally had planned. If they did this, that would mean Hunter or Eveland starting, which is not a good thing
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #9 by osforlife » May 28th, 2012, 8:19 pm

I'd like to see Tolleson stay on the roster but he'll probably get the demotion with Chavez coming back. Avery has really stuggled as of late. Until Britton comes back, why not give Eveland one or two starts?; demote Hunter to the pen. As Don said, I would really consider Oswalt. Who knows if Britton will come back and pitch well?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #10 by Shorebirdfan » May 28th, 2012, 9:05 pm

osforlife wrote:I'd like to see Tolleson stay on the roster but he'll probably get the demotion with Chavez coming back. Avery has really stuggled as of late. Until Britton comes back, why not give Eveland one or two starts?; demote Hunter to the pen. As Don said, I would really consider Oswalt. Who knows if Britton will come back and pitch well?

I agree with siging Oswalt for the same reason. Hunter has proven ineffective and we don't know what Britton brings to the table. Hammel seems to be far and away the most consitent arm we've seen so far, so adding Oswalt at the top of the rotation just makes us deeper and stronger. I think it also sends a message to the fan base that we are ready to win now. (Not that I'm saying the organization is trying to say that only that the fan base will see it that way)
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #11 by Matt P » May 28th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Why is Arrieta safe and Matusz isn't? Matusz has been better and more consistent than Arrieta this season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 28th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Matt P wrote:Why is Arrieta safe and Matusz isn't? Matusz has been better and more consistent than Arrieta this season.

Matusz hasn't been better at all.

Arrieta is walking one batter less per inning, is striking out a batter more per inning, and they have the same HR/9 rate. They give up HRs at the same rate and Arrieta still has a higher HR/FB%, which means he's getting unlucky with HRs.

Arrieta is getting more ground balls, has a better ERA, FIP, xFIP, SIERA, and more innings pitched.

Matusz has improved, for sure. But it's hard for me to see where he has been better than Arrieta this year.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Matt P » May 28th, 2012, 11:30 pm

I understand Arrieta has better stats but Matusz also started off pretty bad. Since his first 3 starts Matusz has only had 1 bad start. Matusz has given the Orioles 4 consecutive starts of 3 earned runs or less and has given up 3 earned runs or less in 6 of his last 7 starts. Arrieta has given up 3 earned runs or less in 4 games this season (none of those starts were back to back).
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 28th, 2012, 11:39 pm

Matt P wrote:I understand Arrieta has better stats but Matusz also started off pretty bad. Since his first 3 starts Matusz has only had 1 bad start. Matusz has given the Orioles 4 consecutive starts of 3 earned runs or less and has given up 3 earned runs or less in 6 of his last 7 starts. Arrieta has given up 3 earned runs or less in 4 games this season (none of those starts were back to back).

I still think a lot of it has to do with Arrieta's bad luck with HRs. I'm not convinced Matusz can continue to succeed with the amount of HRs and fly balls he gives up.

If you're more concerned with ERA and ER given up per start, I can see why you'd think Matusz has been better. But I'm much more concerned with strikeouts, home runs, and walks, and Arrieta has done a much better job with that. To me he's the better pitcher right now and has performed better this year. Although Matusz has looked pretty sharp as of late.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 29th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Hunter was just optioned and Britton is only making one more start and then should be back in Baltimore. Looks like he'll take Hunter's spot.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles