Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

5/25/12 Roster Moves

5/25/12 Roster Moves

PostPost #1 by osforlife » May 25th, 2012, 3:30 pm

The Orioles announced that they designated utility player Bill Hall for assignment. They optioned Luis Exposito to Triple-A and recalled Stu Pomeranz and Ronny Paulino in corresponding moves.

The Orioles signed Hall to a minor league deal in April and selected his contract on May 12th. Hall became the 22nd Oriole in team history to homer in his first game with Baltimore, but appeared in just five more games before losing his roster spot. Hall had signed a minor league deal with the Yankees in February, and elected free agency in April. He has MLB experience at every position but catcher and first base.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/05/o ... nment.html
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

Re: 5/25/12 Roster Moves

PostPost #2 by Rising O's » May 25th, 2012, 4:13 pm

Those two moves should improve the team.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by ofahn » May 25th, 2012, 5:43 pm

It really gripes me that we need to carry 13 pitchers. A team should be able to count on at least six innings from its starting pitchers. Hammel I can understand because of his knee, but what's Arrieta's and Hunter's excuse. It's BLINKEN time for those guys to step up.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by A_K » May 25th, 2012, 6:03 pm

I'm not sure that we need to carry 13 players as much as there aren't any other position players in the system that would add something to the team. Who would you suggest they add instead of Pomeranz? Bill Hall was worthless. Reynolds and Chavez are hurt. Reimold's hurt. Roberts needs another few weeks before he can think of coming up. Miguel Tejada's only days into his new minor league career. Maybe Jai Miller? Ryan Adams?

Normall I'd agree with you, but I don't see anyone else who this team really needs that's currently in the system.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #5 by osforlife » May 25th, 2012, 8:07 pm

I like carrying 13 pitchers instead of 13 postition players. Of course, you want to rely on your starters to go 6+ innings, and you expect them too, but sometimes they just don't. IMO, A bullpen arm like Pomeranz is much more valuable to the team than a player like Bill Hall. Paulino should have never left the team. They're arent many backup catchers that can produce offensively and defensively. Paulino is most likely on the offensive side.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » May 25th, 2012, 10:18 pm

I'd rather carry 13 pitchers than have an extra guy on the bench honestly. What more do you need besides a UTIL inf, OF, and catcher?

Teams live and die by their pitching, and you gotta keep them fresh.
aka, I agree with the 2 above posts lol.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » May 26th, 2012, 7:08 am

I'm in the minority here but I liked Hall because his bat off the bench could do damage - something Flaherty can't do right now but may in the future. This move tells me Flaherty is here to stay. Pomeranz was shaky last night. Was it due to 5 days off?? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by Ampontan » May 27th, 2012, 11:16 am

birdwatcher55 wrote: Pomeranz was shaky last night. Was it due to 5 days off?? 8-)

Pitching to contact with an eight-run lead? An inevitable less than stellar performance that might happen anyway?
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

Return to Baltimore Orioles