Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Manny Machado Defensively

Manny Machado Defensively

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » May 24th, 2012, 10:10 am

I took the trip down to Bowie last night.

While the Roberts story was fine and dandy, I was there more to really see Machado, Hoes, Schoop, etc.

Machado really continues to impress me with his defensive play at SS. In the first inning, he made a spectacular play. It was a ground ball hit back up the middle and Zach Clark attempted to make the play but the ball bounced off his glove. Machado shifted gears on the deflection, picked it up with his bare hand, and fired a perfect throw to nab the fast Gary Brown at first. Very impressive play.
Later on, he made a tough play ranging to his left and made an equally strong throw to first. He also had a routine ground ball take a wicked hop at the last second and he still managed to stick with it and make the play look easy.

I've seen Machado at SS enough now to truly get a grasp of what he is. I've seen him make rangy plays to the left and right. I've seen him make barehanded plays, quick throws, and handle tough hops. The kid is simply a natural, and I'm not sure I truly agree with anyone saying he will grow out of SS. OK, maybe he does, but if it happens 7-8 years down the road does it really even matter? I think he could easily stick at SS for the immediate future and beyond, and be a pretty good one at that.

Anyone else that has seen him, let me know your thoughts. I know I can't be the only one who is really high on his defense.

Side note, I have seen him botch a play or two at SS. It happens though. The one play was not the easiest either.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Manny Machado Defensively

PostPost #2 by ofahn » May 24th, 2012, 10:47 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I have seen him botch a play or two at SS.

MiLB infields are a crap shoot. Some parks are well maintained and some look like an obstacle course. I have never understood why MLB does not require certain standards on MiLB fields or that they use the same baseball as the ML.
Last edited by ofahn on May 26th, 2012, 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Ampontan » May 24th, 2012, 10:16 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote: Machado really continues to impress me with his defensive play at SS.

In an interview after the game, Roberts said that Machado made two plays that 28 of 30 ML shortstops don't make. Those must have been the ones you describe.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » May 25th, 2012, 10:19 pm

Ampontan wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote: Machado really continues to impress me with his defensive play at SS.

In an interview after the game, Roberts said that Machado made two plays that 28 of 30 ML shortstops don't make. Those must have been the ones you describe.

Indeed. Those two plays alone were worth the trip and admission. He is a special talent, and I am really excited to see him down the road. Of course he still has a bit to go.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Return to Minor Leagues