Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The Bundy Bunch

The Bundy Bunch

PostPost #1 by Don » November 18th, 2010, 1:08 pm

Dylan Bundy is considered to be one of the best high school arms in the country for the 2011 MLB June Draft. He is also considered a solid corner position prospect with power. His name should sound familiar to alot of Orioles minor league follows because he is the younger brother to Robert Bundy, 8th round choice in 2008 and pitcher for Delmarva Shorebirds.

I was a big fan out of the 2008 draft for Bundy because I have seen him pitch a few times in high school. He is slowly progressing and made drastic improvements this year. I wonder if his impact, issues, and everyday encounters with the Orioles will make them bypass Dylan with the 4th overall selection, if he is available?
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: The Bundy Bunch

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 24th, 2010, 4:59 pm

Spoke with an O's prospect who said Dylan has reached up to 98 mph with his fastball. He's good, but I don't think he'll be a top 5 selection.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Don » November 25th, 2010, 10:22 am

It is still too early to tell about prep players, but he could very well place right behind Purke and Cole if he establishes the change up. His arsenal is already considered advanced with a plus curve and solid slider and these are enhanced with a plus-plus fastball. He does not have the frame that teams think "projectability", but someone has used the name Tom Seaver in the same sentence as him. This has to say something.

I still want the Orioles to take a long look at Travis Harrison. He has a very quick bat and can turn on any fastball that is thrown. He simply looks the part of a middle of the order masher. Watching his swing, it really reminds me of a more athletic Troy Glaus.

But with the amount of College pitchers in the mix, I expect the Orioles to draft Sonnie Gray or Taylor Jungmann. My hope is that Anthony Rendon is extreamly rusty and it scares those in front that take College Pitchers 1, 2, and 3.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by hsbaseballcoach » November 28th, 2010, 9:31 pm

I have scouted Bundy on a few occasions and I do think he is a mid-late first rounder on the bump, but I am not quite as high on his bat. I had him projected as a second rounder at best as a position player. If they Os take him with the 4th selection - they are reaching and are enamored with his plus-plus velocity. His fastball can be flat and his secondary pitches lack some depth and consistency. Bundy has a huge upside, but needs to develop just a bit and consistently work down in the zone. He could be a great one, but I would pass on him so early in the draft.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by allstar1579 » January 3rd, 2011, 9:47 pm

hsbaseballcoach wrote:I have scouted Bundy on a few occasions and I do think he is a mid-late first rounder on the bump, but I am not quite as high on his bat. I had him projected as a second rounder at best as a position player. If they Os take him with the 4th selection - they are reaching and are enamored with his plus-plus velocity. His fastball can be flat and his secondary pitches lack some depth and consistency. Bundy has a huge upside, but needs to develop just a bit and consistently work down in the zone. He could be a great one, but I would pass on him so early in the draft.

Really? Mid-first? Just curious to hear your take on him if you don't mind. I had him top 10-ish (I really don't make specific rankings til the spring) and I talked to a couple guys really high on him. I don't know anyone looking at him from a position point of view, everyone is looking at the pitching upside. The velo is really there, and his slider is def. a strikeout pitch. Love to see the change develop though, a little too 2 dimensional in a world of 4 dimensional pitchers.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to MLB Draft