Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Why only 3 innings for Eveland?

Why only 3 innings for Eveland?

PostPost #1 by Matt P » May 16th, 2012, 11:06 pm

I don't get it. He threw 39 pitches and the game was in the 14th when he was removed. Isn't he the long reliever? Hopefully the O's can score here in the top of the 15th to save some bullpen arms. You never know how many innings you will need from the bullpen with Matusz on the mound and he pitches tomorrow.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Why only 3 innings for Eveland?

PostPost #2 by Matt P » May 16th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Well, didn't end up having to use everyone like against Boston as Jones hit a HR and JJ closed it out.

Still though, isn't Eveland the long reliever? If not, what is his role?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by Ampontan » May 16th, 2012, 11:49 pm

Dude, why are you not enjoying this!
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #4 by OriolesRedskins28 » May 16th, 2012, 11:55 pm

Matt P wrote:I don't get it. He threw 39 pitches and the game was in the 14th when he was removed. Isn't he the long reliever? Hopefully the O's can score here in the top of the 15th to save some bullpen arms. You never know how many innings you will need from the bullpen with Matusz on the mound and he pitches tomorrow.

I wouldn't want everyone in their order to get a second look at Eveland. Stats show, hitters fare better the second time around the batting order. Why not hand it off to Gregg who can go more than one inning (which he did)? It's not like there is a talent difference between the two. I see where you're coming from but personally I think Eveland was left in and taken out at just the right time.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by Matt P » May 17th, 2012, 12:16 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:
Matt P wrote:I don't get it. He threw 39 pitches and the game was in the 14th when he was removed. Isn't he the long reliever? Hopefully the O's can score here in the top of the 15th to save some bullpen arms. You never know how many innings you will need from the bullpen with Matusz on the mound and he pitches tomorrow.

I wouldn't want everyone in their order to get a second look at Eveland. Stats show, hitters fare better the second time around the batting order. Why not hand it off to Gregg who can go more than one inning (which he did)? It's not like there is a talent difference between the two. I see where you're coming from but personally I think Eveland was left in and taken out at just the right time.

I just thought they should keep him in for longer in case the game went on as long or longer as the Red Sox game to save some arms. It worked out in the end though.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles