Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Justin Upton Rumor

Justin Upton Rumor

PostPost #1 by hsbaseballcoach » November 22nd, 2010, 2:56 pm

MLBtraderumors is reporting that the Orioles are one of the teams interested in Justin Upton. I think this, while I am sure is wishful thinking, would be a tremendous get for the Orioles. He is young athletic, under team control for a few more years (2 I think), power potential and could be the everyday left fielder. The O's could put together a package of Pie, Hernandez, Tillman, and a B level prospect. I personally think it is worth it! It fulfills AZ requirement of 2 top flight arms, gives us a power potential bat and an everyday left fielder, and keeps Britton, Arrieta, and Matusz. The O's could still afford to sign Beltre and this would leave space for Bell or Snyder to work in at 1B.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Justin Upton Rumor

PostPost #2 by Lucky Jim » November 22nd, 2010, 3:19 pm

I think you have to make that trade, especially if you view Hernandez as a reliever. There remains enormous uncertainty around Pie and Tillman (though I'm a big Tillman fan), and Upton - though he does carry some risk - is a pretty good bet to offer +++++ production for the next four or five years.

My enthusiasm leads to believe they'll want more.
Lucky Jim
DSL Orioles

PostPost #3 by hsbaseballcoach » November 22nd, 2010, 5:46 pm

I agree the D'backs may want more. It has been posted that they are looking for 5 prospects, a stiff price, but the Backs are in a win-win situation if they get the 5. I am a big Tillman fan as well, but like Arietta and Britton a bit more. If I had to give up one to get a talent like Upton - Tillman would be the guy. It is just wishful thinking on my part that the Backs value his upside enough to pull the trigger. They just have to overlook his MLB experience, although it has been a small sampling during some rough times.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Esskay » November 22nd, 2010, 7:43 pm

The DBacks laugh that proposal all the way back to Baltimore, IMO. The OH has been debating a similar trade where Tillman is replaced with {Tillman OR Britton OR Arrieta OR Bergesen}, "a B prospect" is replaced with "any prospect other than Machado or Britton", and {Bell OR Reimold} is added.

Your trade would be a great one in terms of value for the Orioles and I'm still not sure we should do it. I not sold on Justin Upton as a superstar - my guess is that he'll be good, but not fantastically good (occasional AS teams, not every year). And there's risk involved too: what if he turns out to be Nick Markakis take 2? is he still worth that package? or if he ends up as a perennial .800 OPS corner OF with mediocre defense? AZ is a pretty hitter-friendly environment, remember.

I'm not convinced we ought to be trading pitching. We have Guthrie and five good young arms. Injuries happen, one or more of them may not be able to cut it in the majors, etc. I'd stay the course on the grow the arms plan, myself.
Esskay
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles