Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Avery to Baltimore...

Re: Avery to Baltimore...

PostPost #16 by Matt P » May 15th, 2012, 9:26 pm

He had a perfect bunt tonight and drew a walk. So far he looks good. Hopefully he forces the O's to keep him in Baltimore and when Reimold gets back they will DH him. I'm not sure how he is defensively but he hasn't messed anything up yet and he has crazy speed.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #17 by Ampontan » May 16th, 2012, 4:58 am

On another site there is a poster who played 3b in the Red Sox organization when Duqutte was hired as the GM there. He said that DD had an immediate impact on the culture of the minor leagues for the better.

I wonder if some of that might be happening here with Avery. The reports on him always said he had talent, but focused more on the holes in his game.

I hope it is indirectly DDs doing.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #18 by ofahn » May 16th, 2012, 6:11 am

Ampontan wrote:On another site there is a poster who played 3b in the Red Sox organization when Duqutte was hired as the GM there. He said that DD had an immediate impact on the culture of the minor leagues for the better.

I wonder if some of that might be happening here with Avery. The reports on him always said he had talent, but focused more on the holes in his game.

There may be something to that, but it doesn't explain Avery's breakout at the AFL last fall. Something clicked for this kid and has taken his game to a new level.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by Matt P » May 16th, 2012, 10:51 am

Ampontan wrote:On another site there is a poster who played 3b in the Red Sox organization when Duqutte was hired as the GM there. He said that DD had an immediate impact on the culture of the minor leagues for the better.

Yeah, that was a real nice post by that guy. Long post if I remember correctly but it was well worth it.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #20 by Rising O's » May 16th, 2012, 9:44 pm

Avery just looks like he has "it". Maybe he'll never been a superstar but he looks like at least a ML regular.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by Zach » May 17th, 2012, 10:44 am

Do you think that we keep Avery up when Reimold gets back and get rid of Chavez? He has shown more of an ability at the plate and is a good enough defensive outfielder. We would have the possibility of moving Reimold to the DH position as well. I would only consider if this move if Avery was going to get solid playing time though. He needs to be getting every day experience whether that be at the major league level or the AAA level.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #22 by Tucker Blair » May 17th, 2012, 10:47 am

Zach wrote:Do you think that we keep Avery up when Reimold gets back and get rid of Chavez? He has shown more of an ability at the plate and is a good enough defensive outfielder. We would have the possibility of moving Reimold to the DH position as well. I would only consider if this move if Avery was going to get solid playing time though. He needs to be getting every day experience whether that be at the major league level or the AAA level.

I have a feeling Reimold will be out for a while. I think it is part of the reason they called up Avery (although he earned it too).
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #23 by ofahn » May 17th, 2012, 11:38 am

Zach wrote:Do you think that we keep Avery up when Reimold gets back and get rid of Chavez? He has shown more of an ability at the plate and is a good enough defensive outfielder. We would have the possibility of moving Reimold to the DH position as well. I would only consider if this move if Avery was going to get solid playing time though. He needs to be getting every day experience whether that be at the major league level or the AAA level.

If Reimold came back today (it'll be a while) I would make him the primary DH and leave Avery in LF. IMO that would improve the defense and the lineup.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #24 by Matt P » May 18th, 2012, 2:12 am

Didn't see the game today but I listened to it and it sounded like he made an outstanding play in LF tracking down a ball that Buck said most LF wouldn't get to. He seems to have good plate discipline which I love and that speed is incredible. Buck seems to really like him. Although Reimold looked tremendous at the plate he was still really bad defensively so I think they should just DH him and let him get a start here and there in LF when Avery gets a day off.

If they do decide to put Reimold back in LF they are better off sending Avery back to AAA than to let him sit on the bench as the 4th OF so he can continue to get better.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by Zach » May 18th, 2012, 10:01 am

The best part about that play was that he made it look like a routine play. He definitely needs to be in the field on an every day basis. It will be interesting to see how DD and Buck handle thing one. That being said, this is a problem I have been waiting to have for some time now haha.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #26 by birdwatcher55 » May 19th, 2012, 5:17 am

How will he perform in his second time around the league. Right now he looks pretty confident and poised. Personally I hope he is here to stay 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #27 by Rising O's » May 19th, 2012, 7:44 am

As a leadoff hitter in just six games, Xavier has as more walks as the other three guys who replaced Nolan. And he has more walks than Nolan too. Finally he is striking out a lot less as well. Maybe he's no superstar but I'll happily take what he's giving right now.

.280 .357 .440 .797 3BB 3K Avery
vs
.308 .328 .631 .959 2BB 13K Reimold (should hit behind or in front of Wieters)
.200 .273 .400 .673 1BB 6K Andino
.154 .154 .385 .538 0BB 6K Flaherty
.113 .161 .132 .293 1BB 10K Chavez
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by Ampontan » May 19th, 2012, 11:31 am

Zach wrote:Do you think that we keep Avery up when Reimold gets back and get rid of Chavez.

It is extremely unlikely they will get rid of Chavez. He got off to a slow start with the bat, but he's likely to produce the kind of numbers he usually does, not great, but good for a fourth outfielder around for his defense.

A lot of people wanted to get rid of Gregg. That was premature too.

There's no guarantee Avery will be doing this well when either of those two get back. Lots of rookies get off to hot starts and then fade.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles