Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

David Hernandez and his trade value

David Hernandez and his trade value

PostPost #1 by CamdenRevival » November 19th, 2010, 11:21 am

I think we need to come to the conclusion that David Hernandez is on a lot of wishlists and there's a reason for that. I can't remember another Orioles pitcher in the last 10 years (expect maybe Bedard) who misses as many bats as Hernandez. He's got phenomenal stuff and I think he projects as a stud setup/closer. He even improved when moved to the bullpen. With that said, the Orioles can't get the bats unless they deal some arms and Hernandez can bring back a prize. They shouldn't waste his trade value on the Kevin Millwoods (he almost got dealt to Texas instead of Chris Ray) or Jason Bartletts of the world. He needs to be either kept or dealt in some larger deal for a Gonzalez or Fielder (or even Stephen Drew).

Look, I'd love to see Jason Bartlett on the Orioles (sorry Izzy), but it's highly unlikely that the Rays can keep him (too expensive + Reid Brignac waiting), so the Rays will have to non-tender or take practically nothing to salary dump. Why give away a great trade chip? Save him for a good deal or feel comfortable that you can bring him to spring training and he'll be a great part of this bullpen.
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: David Hernandez and his trade value

PostPost #2 by Don » November 19th, 2010, 1:11 pm

Seeing the value in Dan Uggla trade, players of David Hernandez caliber are not on my table for those types of players being discussed in between the Rays and Twins. Considering they are not even close to the value of Uggla and both are one year rentals to free agency, they should be traded for 2 mid-level prospects at best.

Rays want David Hernandez, it starts a deal with Reid, not Jason. Pitching is more valuable on trading fronts than position players.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by hsbaseballcoach » November 20th, 2010, 8:07 pm

I agree with Don. Hernandez could be the Orioles closer or setup man this year. If the Rays want him, I would say it is Reid or nothing. Bartlett is an upgrade for now, but the O's can't compete for a title in the next year or two at best. Reid would be an upgrade and could move to 2B when Machado is ready. He is the perfect fit for the O's - now and in the future. I would make trade if I was Andy right now!
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by LukeScottsShotgun » November 29th, 2010, 5:10 pm

Hernandez for Mark Reynolds would be a better trade than Hernandez for Reid for us IMO. Then again, I'm a huge fan of LJ Hoes.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by hsbaseballcoach » December 4th, 2010, 11:38 am

Luke - Looks like the D'backs covet Hernandez as well. MLBtraderumors is reporting they want Hernandez to be the centerpiece of the deal for Reynolds NOT Tillman, which I find hard to believe, but good for us! I do not think the O's should stop there - with the Redsox agreeing with Padres to get Gonzalez, now the urgency to get another power bat just got kicked up a notch.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Don » December 4th, 2010, 12:46 pm

We know why this trade has not happened at this point. David Hernandez would never be for a guy that is labeled as a non-tendered type of player. Say no thanks to Reylnolds for anything of significance. This is guy they have been trying to un-load for 2 years now and has been a non-tender talk about since the All-Star break.

I would rather give Josh Fields a try instead of giving even one young major league player. Heck I would not even give up a top 10 prospect. I may give two "C" level guys with upside, but that is all.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #7 by DPR420 » December 6th, 2010, 9:10 am

I think that if all it takes to get Reynolds is Hernandez and some C level guys with upside then pull the trigger. he may be a future set up man, but I think that's something we can afford to give up for 35-40 homers a year. that's a significant boost to the lineup and it probably offers more wins than an elite setup man like, say, Thornton on the White Sox can match. not sure about each guy's WAR (I think both were around two) but the fact that a decent power hitting corner fielder posts the same WAR as one of the top setup men in baseball leads me to believe that good setup pitchers are a dime a dozen, or at least more common than finding a guy with 40+ home run potential.
get 'em.
DPR420
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles