Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Most Valuable Oriole - 2010

Most Valuable Oriole - 2010

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » September 7th, 2010, 12:30 am

The Orioles always give out the Most Valuable Oriole award at the end of every season. With about a month left in the season, who in your opinion is the most deserving player on this team for this award, looking at it from the whole year and also not just in terms of stats, but also looking at leadership and non-categorized play making abilities?

Some options (all stats as of September 7th pre-game):

Nick Markakis - .288 avg, 41 doubles, 9 HRs, 50 RBIs
Luke Scott - .286 avg, 26 HRs, 64 RBIs
Adam Jones - .276 avg, 5 triples, 17 HRs, 55 RBIs
Ty Wigginton - .250 avg, 20 HRs, 65 RBIs, one epic ejection
Jeremy Guthrie - 9-13, 3.89 ERA in 183 IP
Jason Berken - 41 appearances, 3.03 ERA in 62.1 IP
Mike Gonzalez - wait, never mind
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Most Valuable Oriole - 2010

PostPost #2 by DougDE » September 7th, 2010, 3:33 am

No doubt in my mind it's Jeremy Guthrie. A sub 4 era in the AL East, almost assuredly over 200 innings, makes every start, and gives the bullpen a break more times then not. This guy is one of the most underrated pitchers in baseball.
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by 2131andBeyond » September 7th, 2010, 2:08 pm

DougDE wrote:No doubt in my mind it's Jeremy Guthrie. A sub 4 era in the AL East, almost assuredly over 200 innings, makes every start, and gives the bullpen a break more times then not. This guy is one of the most underrated pitchers in baseball.

While I agree that Guthrie deserves more than a big look at the honor, you have to remember how he has found success. It has mostly come in the 2nd half of the season. He said himself that he used the all-star break to think things over, and that obviously helped. While he was alright before the break (went into it with a 4.77 ERA, 3-10 record), Jeremy has shined since coming back, going 6-3 with a 2.92 ERA in 61.2 IP in 10 starts. With a 2:8 K:BB ratio in his two starts right before the break, he has had stellar command since, with a ratio of 42:12.

Definitely helps out the bullpen, as well, with his ability to eat up innings lately.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 7th, 2010, 7:37 pm

DougDE wrote:No doubt in my mind it's Jeremy Guthrie. A sub 4 era in the AL East, almost assuredly over 200 innings, makes every start, and gives the bullpen a break more times then not. This guy is one of the most underrated pitchers in baseball.

My thoughts exactly. Before Showalter was here, our young starters weren't going deep into games and the bullpen was dead. Guthrie has been the most consistent SP and allowed the bullpen to stay strong during the early stages of the season. Wasn't Kevin Millwood supposed to be our ace?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by GeorgeD4 » September 7th, 2010, 7:46 pm

I would agree it's Guthrie. Second for me is Wigginton. Held down second base and hit great. Then developed into a pretty good fielder at first base. He has been very reliable.
GeorgeD4
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by 2131andBeyond » September 7th, 2010, 7:57 pm

Jordan wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Before Showalter was here, our young starters weren't going deep into games and the bullpen was dead. Guthrie has been the most consistent SP and allowed the bullpen to stay strong during the early stages of the season. Wasn't Kevin Millwood supposed to be our ace?

Millwood. Hahaha. He has been a joke. Came in, and his innings-eating abilities are basically when he can pound the strike zone with his few solid pitches. But since he has struggled with walks and then tried being too perfect, he lets up lots of base hits that all add up. Let alone that horrible mark of like 14 of 15 games where he let up at least 2 runs in the 1st. That may not be exact, but something like that. And that's depressing to hear. Seriously. You would think that is a coincidence at some point, but no, it just continued.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by 2131andBeyond » September 7th, 2010, 8:05 pm

GeorgeD4 wrote:I would agree it's Guthrie. Second for me is Wigginton. Held down second base and hit great. Then developed into a pretty good fielder at first base. He has been very reliable.

The only reason I would say Wiggy over a guy like Guthrie or even Scott would be for his ability to fill in in solid fashion, though not so great lately. Too bad there is no stat category for "being a good sport."
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by GeorgeD4 » September 7th, 2010, 8:32 pm

I wouldn't even consider Jones and Markakis for MVO. I am really shocked by the lack of production shown by Markakis this season.
GeorgeD4
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by 2131andBeyond » September 8th, 2010, 12:27 am

GeorgeD4 wrote:I wouldn't even consider Jones and Markakis for MVO. I am really shocked by the lack of production shown by Markakis this season.

He has the very respectable, number one in the league, doubles number. And has been over the top defensively in my opinion. But that's about it.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by GeorgeD4 » September 8th, 2010, 6:25 pm

Not even average production for a Major League rightfielder.
GeorgeD4
DSL Orioles

PostPost #11 by 2131andBeyond » September 8th, 2010, 8:01 pm

GeorgeD4 wrote:Not even average production for a Major League rightfielder.

I wonder what the average numbers are, actually. Not sure where to find them.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 11th, 2010, 7:43 pm

Consider that he has like no protection. Nobody's giving him anything good to hit. If you want to see the difference protection can make, look at Nick Swisher. Guarantee you if he was in an OK lineup, he'd be an afterthought. Nick just needs to stay in the #2 spot and get Brian on base for him. Get a good #3 guy behind him and you'll see the Markakis of old come back.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by DougDE » September 11th, 2010, 8:42 pm

I find this statement ridiculous. Over 50 extra base hits, around a .290 average, and gold glove type defense and he's below average? Please
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #14 by Traveldawg69 » September 11th, 2010, 10:28 pm

Would I be crazy voting for Nick Markakis based on his numbers AND his leadership that he brought earlier this year?

I know his power is down this year, but he is quite frankly a leader by action. For what it's worth, my kids love NM too.

Enough for me....lol
Traveldawg69
DSL Orioles

PostPost #15 by GeorgeD4 » September 12th, 2010, 6:55 am

DougDE wrote:

I find this statement ridiculous. Over 50 extra base hits, around a .290 average, and gold glove type defense and he's below average? Please

When I said "production" I was not referring to his defense.
GeorgeD4
DSL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles