Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Yankees fleeced Mariners

Yankees fleeced Mariners

PostPost #1 by Rising O's » April 29th, 2012, 10:07 am

Or so it seemed to me. Pineda for Montero? A rookie pitcher who in 171 innings gave up only 133 hits? 3-1 K to BB ratio? For a DH, no matter how well he can hit is a fleecing. Well, maybe the Mariners knew something, maybe they didn't. But with a labrum tear, and we know them well in Baltimore, it could be the beginning of the end for a rookie who looked to be a future star.

While I feel bad for Pineda, I don't feel bad for the Yankees, not one little tiny bit. :lol:
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

Re: Yankees fleeced Mariners

PostPost #2 by DougDE » April 29th, 2012, 1:10 pm

Gotta think the M's knew a little something. I hope they did, makes it even funnier
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by Matt P » April 29th, 2012, 3:22 pm

I haven't looked up his stats since the trade but didn't Pineda not look so "ace like" away from Safeco?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by Rising O's » April 30th, 2012, 10:10 am

His numbers were good for a 22 year old rookie. The only real difference between his home and away numbers were that he gave up more hits, but not necessarily that he was hit harder. Even then his numbers were still good. His pre and post all-star numbers indicate something was wrong though. I imagine the Mariners may have taken the risk that this would happen.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » August 9th, 2013, 10:05 pm

A year later we find out why the Yankees were pushing Montero, the best can't miss hitter in baseball in every trade rumor we read about. Another one from that organization tied to steroid use. Pineda is still rehabbing so the winner here still looks like neither team.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by osforlife » August 10th, 2013, 12:05 pm

Rising O's wrote:A year later we find out why the Yankees were pushing Montero, the best can't miss hitter in baseball in every trade rumor we read about. Another one from that organization tied to steroid use. Pineda is still rehabbing so the winner here still looks like neither team.

To be fair, Jesus Montero had a .295/.330/.438 in 2012 away from Safeco while hitting .227/.268/.337 in Seattle. Then, his 2013 was a disaster. He was demoted prematurely, got hurt, and then got busted with steroids. With Ibanez, Morse, and Morales hitting free agency, Montero might get an oppurtunity to DH on the slightly adjusted Safeco fences.

As for Pineda, he'll be part of a young, solid 2014 Yankees rotation of Sabathia, Phelps, Nova, Pineda, and a free agent. He's posted good numbers in the minors coming off major shoulder surgery. I expect Montero and Pineda to be solid sleepers.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » August 10th, 2013, 1:35 pm

My feeling is Pineda will end up being a bullpen arm for a few years. I don't see the Yankees pitching him enough this year to pencil him as an early season starter in 2014.
We'll see about Montero being anything other than an average bat without performance enhancers. Nothing like the can't miss hitting prospect of two years ago.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Around the Majors