Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

$6 million setup man

$6 million setup man

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » October 26th, 2010, 1:40 pm

Mike Gonzalez is guaranteed $6 million this coming 2011 season, yet many people assume he will be a setup man/LOOGY. Uehara is not signed back, and while he was successful closing, he is injury prone. Does Gonzo deserve a chance to close? Should we re-sign Uehara as closer and make Gonzo the setup man? Where would that leave Jim Johnson? Or should we bring in another reliever completely?

Key Question: How should the Orioles plan to stabilize the back of their bullpen for the 2011 season?
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: $6 million setup man

PostPost #2 by Esskay » October 26th, 2010, 1:52 pm

Let 'em pitch in Spring Training and see who's in good shape/not injured/pitching effectively. Don't see why we need to anoint a closer in November.

If the real question is "should we resign Uehara", the answer is sure, for the right price.
Esskay
DSL Orioles

PostPost #3 by 2131andBeyond » October 26th, 2010, 2:02 pm

Esskay wrote:Let 'em pitch in Spring Training and see who's in good shape/not injured/pitching effectively. Don't see why we need to anoint a closer in November.

If the real question is "should we resign Uehara", the answer is sure, for the right price.

So you're basically letting it play out as a position battle? I guess my subject on it was my point that it seems ridiculous (in my mind, maybe not others) to pay $6 mil for a non-closer relief guy. BUT, you have to do what works best. So I like the idea of the battle. BUT, do you include JJ in that, convert him to starter, or what? That's a whole other question.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Esskay » October 27th, 2010, 5:47 am

I agree with you about the money issue, but at this point it's a sunk cost. The Orioles are paying Gonzalez $6M next year no matter what - he can close, set-up, start games, or pitch for the Trenton Thunder, and the O's will pay him $6M. His performance might not justify it, which would suggest that it was a bad contract, but given that he's signed for a fixed amount, why not use him where he'll do the team the most good? If that mean paying $6M for him to pitch 20 6th innings, why not? If JJ or Koji is a better closer, let them do it.

Again, I think ST results and health will be very important factors, but if the O's had a series that started tomorrow, I'd plan on closing with Koji unless the 9th featured 2 or 3 left-handers.
Esskay
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by LukeScottsShotgun » November 13th, 2010, 1:12 pm

Bring back Kojimania. That is all.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles