Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

O's inquire about Jose Reyes

O's inquire about Jose Reyes

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » November 11th, 2010, 11:19 am

According to sources, the Mets have put word out to teams that SS Jose Reyes is available and will look to trade Reyes during the Winter Meetings.

The Red Sox, Orioles, and Rays have called to get a feel for the situation and trade talks will likely heat up during the winter, the sources believe.

http://7traintoshea.com/?p=3026
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: O's inquire about Jose Reyes

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » November 11th, 2010, 7:52 pm

I'll give you Adam Jones, Caleb Joseph and pick any pitcher other than Brian. Any takers?
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by LukeScottsShotgun » November 13th, 2010, 12:06 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I'll give you Adam Jones, Caleb Joseph and pick any pitcher other than Brian. Any takers?

Take out Adam, and include Britton in the "pick any pitcher other than". I'd be a lot more open to trading Adam if we had a legitimate center fielder to replace him.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 13th, 2010, 1:35 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:
Shorebirdfan wrote:I'll give you Adam Jones, Caleb Joseph and pick any pitcher other than Brian. Any takers?

Take out Adam, and include Britton in the "pick any pitcher other than". I'd be a lot more open to trading Adam if we had a legitimate center fielder to replace him.

No way I'm dealing Britton for Reyes. Britton could be a #2 who throws 200+ innings for years to come. He's built for Camden Yards.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by Don » November 13th, 2010, 5:06 pm

It is just me, but I personally think Jose Reyes is overhyped New York type of player. He should have a better on base percentage and better hitter for the type of player he is suppose to at earlier stages in his career. Injuries could zap his one greatest strenght in speed. What happens at that point?

He would be a great table setter along with Brian Roberts for a one-two punch, but you also have to pay him huge dollars and another contract down the road. It will require teams to unload quality young talent and prospects.

If they wanted to bring his game to the Orioles, you are better off paying Carl Crawford the money required to join the Orioles, but Crawford still has alot of growth at the plate as his increase in numbers sugggest.

Ask yourself, why in the world do the Mets want to unload a young premium position player? It is because he is no longer the type of player everyone thought 4 years ago.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by Lucky Jim » November 13th, 2010, 5:53 pm

Don wrote:It is just me, but I personally think Jose Reyes is overhyped New York type of player. He should have a better on base percentage and better hitter for the type of player he is suppose to at earlier stages in his career. Injuries could zap his one greatest strenght in speed. What happens at that point?

He would be a great table setter along with Brian Roberts for a one-two punch, but you also have to pay him huge dollars and another contract down the road. It will require teams to unload quality young talent and prospects.

If they wanted to bring his game to the Orioles, you are better off paying Carl Crawford the money required to join the Orioles, but Crawford still has alot of growth at the plate as his increase in numbers sugggest.

Ask yourself, why in the world do the Mets want to unload a young premium position player? It is because he is no longer the type of player everyone thought 4 years ago.

I'm not sure that this is as simple as you suggest. Frankly, I think they see a couple of things going on: he's only under contract for one more year, makes a decent amount of money, and plays a premium position. They know he'll demand a ton of money on the FA market, and they know they can't resign him. The Mets have a long way to go in order to compete, and Reyes is likely to bring back a decent package of prospects.

If they lose him to FA, they get two picks. So, really, that's their thought. They need to weigh: (A) the value of Reyes to the Mets for one year, discounted by their probability of competing. (B) The value of Reyes on the trade market. And (C) the value of Reyes as a FA (the expected value of two picks). It's really a choice between ((A) + (C)) or (B), because they get the value next year + the two free agents.

Still, the odds are very good that (B) is where they can maximize Reyes' value. They just need to see what the offers are to make sure.

I mean, I agree that Reyes star has dimmed a bit. He clearly doesn't make sense for the O's unless he's going to extend (which is doubtful). No reason to give up multiple prospects even for a player who may be very good, if he's going to be very good only for a single a year in which the team is highly unlikely to compete.
Lucky Jim
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Don » November 14th, 2010, 10:52 am

Maybe it is perception versus reality.

Reyes has alot of tools and I thought at his age of 23-24 that he was going to be on the tip of the tongue as the greatest all around player in major league baseball. I am not even sure he is the best shortstop in his division now and I see at least 5 better than him. He is only 27, but no where near the ceiling that I thought of the type of player he could have become with the Mets. I expected his talents to translate to a guy that was one of the better contact hitters and on base percentage players. While his numbers are still impressive in his limited time in two season, it is not worth the future contract that he demands and the prospects that it takes to trade with the Mets.

It could be on the safe side to suggest that the Orioles would lose one young player, a top ten prospect, and a top 20 prospect at the very least. I could even think it will take a solid young player and two B or better prospects along with ceiling prospect. Even if he does not sign an extension, you get a one year rental and maybe a compensation picks. The team would lose a quality bats and quality arms in the deal and go back to square one on the building process. Those two picks would not even come close to a package the Orioles would be asked to give up for Jose Reyes.

I just do not think the package of players would be worth the talent. If they were going to give the farm, I would want a guy worth the price. His WAR numbers having be in decline since age 23 and his defensive WAR is actually pitaful for a guy of his stature. His OPS is just barely over 100 and this is guy that will command Derrick Jeter money in his next contract. I simply do not think it is worth it.

This is simply one mans opinion.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #8 by hsbaseballcoach » November 14th, 2010, 10:36 pm

I would agree that Matusz and Britton are untouchable. I would think twice about dealing Jones since the Orioles have no prospect to replace him and he is still getting better. I would say Britton, Markakis, Jones, Matusz, Machado and Wieters are off the table - pick any two, maybe three in the organization for Reyes. I realize this maybe unpopular, but that is how I see it. By the time Machado is ready - Reyes could be a trade chip, Machado may move to 3B, or who knows...
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by LukeScottsShotgun » November 29th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Tillman and Caleb Joseph for Reyes might get it done. Maybe throw in Mickolio or Lebron.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by hsbaseballcoach » November 30th, 2010, 8:06 pm

I would make that trade right now. The Orioles have to do something in the trade market and Reyes is an immediate offensive impact player. He could bat 2nd with Roberts in the lineup or hit leadoff. I know Markakis is not a true 3 hitter, but he would be the best option there. The free agent market is not very good or deep this year for a bat - so make the deal McPhail!
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles