Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Pomeranz

Pomeranz

PostPost #1 by Ampontan » April 19th, 2012, 11:53 pm

Stu Pomeranz continues to be intriguing at Bowie.

After last night, he's made four appearances with about 10 innings, has given up no runs, one walk, and struck out 15.

He was once highly touted, then ran into some problems, both with injuries and off-field behavior. Maybe he's got it together now and we'll get lucky.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

Re: Pomeranz

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » April 20th, 2012, 7:59 am

I'd like for them to move him up to AAA soon.
He is clearly above AA's level.
He needs to get some time in against people who have been in the MLB before.

Very interesting option for them though. Loved what I saw when I was at Bowie earlier this year.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #3 by Ampontan » April 24th, 2012, 12:18 am

Three more scoreless innings, two more Ks.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by ofahn » April 24th, 2012, 7:07 am

Ampontan wrote:Three more scoreless innings, two more Ks.

I find it interesting that the organization will allow a relief pitcher to go three innings in the minors but not at the ML level.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » April 24th, 2012, 11:31 am

ofahn wrote:

I find it interesting that the organization will allow a relief pitcher to go three innings in the minors but not at the ML level.

it is a weird thing they have done system wide this year i have noticed.
Practically every team has a few guys that goes 2-3 innings every time they make an appearance.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #6 by Matt P » April 24th, 2012, 2:31 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
ofahn wrote:

it is a weird thing they have done system wide this year i have noticed.
Practically every team has a few guys that goes 2-3 innings every time they make an appearance.

I think it's just so that if they get called up Buck will know they can go 2 or even 3 innings if need be. I remember last year one of the things Buck didn't like was the fact the bullpen was full of 1 inning pitchers. Not a bad idea IMO.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #7 by ofahn » April 24th, 2012, 2:37 pm

Matt P wrote:I think it's just so that if they get called up Buck will know they can go 2 or even 3 innings if need be. I remember last year one of the things Buck didn't like was the fact the bullpen was full of 1 inning pitchers. Not a bad idea IMO.

You may be right but I STILL don't understand why Buck is using his relievers ONE inning at a time. Almost everyone in the BP can go at least two innings yet Buck is "slotting" relievers into specified roles. In Sunday's game, O'Day had only thrown six pitches yet Buck pulled him because Strop is the "set up guy". FOR PETE'S SAKE, if the pitcher is effective and he's still fresh; D**M IT, let him pitch. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that, if you bring in enough pitchers, one of them will lose the game for you.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Tucker Blair » April 24th, 2012, 2:41 pm

ofahn wrote:
Matt P wrote:I think it's just so that if they get called up Buck will know they can go 2 or even 3 innings if need be. I remember last year one of the things Buck didn't like was the fact the bullpen was full of 1 inning pitchers. Not a bad idea IMO.

You may be right but I STILL don't understand why Buck is using his relievers ONE inning at a time. Almost everyone in the BP can go at least two innings yet Buck is "slotting" relievers into specified roles. In Sunday's game, O'Day had only thrown six pitches yet Buck pulled him because Strop is the "set up guy". FOR PETE'S SAKE, if the pitcher is effective and he's still fresh; D**M IT, let him pitch. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that, if you bring in enough pitchers, one of them will lose the game for you.

Strop pitched 2 innings on Sunday lol.
I understand what you are saying though. However, some players are simply not used in that manner because of matchups, etc.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #9 by ofahn » April 24th, 2012, 2:57 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Strop pitched 2 innings on Sunday lol.

Sunday was a perfect example. What would have happened if the game would have gone more than twelve innings? O'Day was gone after six pitches, Strop had already gone two innings; now you're into places in our bullpen you might not want to go. I mean, does ANYONE really feel comfortable letting Kevin Gregg anywhere NEAR a tie game?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » April 24th, 2012, 3:00 pm

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:Strop pitched 2 innings on Sunday lol.

Sunday was a perfect example. What would have happened if the game would have gone more than twelve innings? O'Day was gone after six pitches, Strop had already gone two innings; now you're into places in our bullpen you might not want to go. I mean, does ANYONE really feel comfortable letting Kevin Gregg anywhere NEAR a tie game?

well to be fair on Buck, he is playing to win the game in 9. I can't fault him for that.
I can fault them for not having a LRP though.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #11 by ofahn » April 24th, 2012, 3:07 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:well to be fair on Buck, he is playing to win the game in 9

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but how is replacing a fresh and effective O'Day with, an unknown for that day, Strop "playing to win"? I can understand keeping Strop warm in the pen until you think O'Day is done, but why just pull him?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by osforlife » April 24th, 2012, 8:43 pm

ofahn wrote:
In Sunday's game, O'Day had only thrown six pitches yet Buck pulled him because Strop is the "set up guy".quote]
Wasn't John Russel in charge when that happened?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #13 by Matt P » April 24th, 2012, 9:06 pm

osforlife wrote:
ofahn wrote:
In Sunday's game, O'Day had only thrown six pitches yet Buck pulled him because Strop is the "set up guy".quote]
Wasn't John Russel in charge when that happened?

Yes
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #14 by ofahn » April 24th, 2012, 9:27 pm

osforlife wrote:Wasn't John Russel in charge when that happened?

With Buck standing ten feet behind him in the runway.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by CSPitt17130 » April 25th, 2012, 9:33 am

ofahn wrote:
osforlife wrote:Wasn't John Russel in charge when that happened?

With Buck standing ten feet behind him in the runway.

...and you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Next

Return to Minor Leagues