Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

ORIOLES DECLINE 2011 OPTION ON LHP MARK HENDRICKSON

ORIOLES DECLINE 2011 OPTION ON LHP MARK HENDRICKSON

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » November 3rd, 2010, 12:51 pm

The Orioles today announced that they have declined their 2011 option for LHP MARK HENDRICKSON.

Hendrickson, 36, went 1-6 with a 5.26 ERA (75.1IP, 44ER) in 52 games for the Orioles in 2010, his second season with the club.

-Orioles press release

Thoughts? Should they try to bring him back but for less money? Should they look to Patton or VandenHurk as the future long man? Or should they bring in a FA long relief guy?
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: ORIOLES DECLINE 2011 OPTION ON LHP MARK HENDRICKSON

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » November 3rd, 2010, 9:02 pm

This is not a bad thing in my opinion, and no way, they should not bring him back. Enough is enough with players like this guy. Turn this thing over to the kids and lets see what happens. I mean the best thing that could have happened in the post season this year was for the Giants to win the world series. Lets compare them and the O's. Young catcher with all the talent in the world, check. Young, younger, and wow how old are you in the starting rotation? Check. Older middle infielder (Edgar compared to Brian for us), check. Corner IF's who couldn't hit 30 HR in a little league park, check and check. Young up and coming corner IF who hasn't lived up to potential, check for them, 2 for us but hey Snyder and Bell are about the same size combined as Sandoval. How about the OF....Could Pat Burrell and Luke Scott be the same person? How about Cody Ross compared to Nick, decent players probably not well known or feared more than a 50 miles radius from their home park. Lastly, a devastating closer that was completely unknown just a few seasons ago (OK we are still missing that piece as neither Koji or Gonzales are even close to Wilson). Outside of that I think both teams look very much the same, sure Brian is not the Freak yet, put the potential is there.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by DougDE » November 4th, 2010, 3:32 pm

Biggest difference between the Giants and O's is that the Giants had to chase down the Padres, the O's will have to chase down the Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays. The Giants would be fighting for fourth place in AL East, not a World Series title.
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » November 4th, 2010, 5:41 pm

Now that I'll agree with. Whole different level of competition.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #5 by hsbaseballcoach » November 7th, 2010, 10:57 pm

Lets see what Patton can do in that situation. He was supposed to be the gem of the Tejada trade and has had his ups and downs in the minors since returning from injury. Hard to believe Albers has been the most productive from that trade. He has great movement on his FB, but has never been consistent. If the O's are going to rebuild, commit to it and go young and let them learn!
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by DougDE » November 9th, 2010, 3:46 am

Im not even a huge Luke Scott fan but I would argue that he's easily been the most productive player from the Tejada trade, not Albers. I mean he was just named Most Valuable Oriole for the season if Im not mistaken
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by hsbaseballcoach » November 10th, 2010, 7:40 pm

Doug - you are correct. Scott has been the most effective piece from the Tejada trade, but I was referring to the pitching aspect. Scott was supposed to be a platoon player and Albers was thought to be a middle reliever, but Patton was the key to the trade. I know Patton did not have a stellar year at Norfolk and has had injury issues, but the O's have yet to give him a shot in the bigs. They brought him up in August, then again when the rosters expanded and yet he only appeared in 1 inning. I think they have to give him a longer look.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles